I've never done this before. How difficult is it to take the nut out without damage to the neck or nut slot? They seem to be glued in there so you would probably need a knife or some other tool to get it out. Is it wise to just have a guitar shop do it instead? Also are nuts generally a standard size for all basses ( it is for a p bass copy but i'm not sure it if has the same measurement of a Fender or is different)?
Thanks for your help bass forum.
The nut on my epiphone (guitar) just falls off. It wasn't held on by anything.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I would just go to a music store just to be safe... But if your a cheap bastard or a pro guitar tech then i would do it at home .
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
i would take it to a shop to prevent damage to the neck and nuts vary from bass to bass
Take it to a pro, some nuts are loose most are not, a pro will know how deep to cut the grooves with the appropriate tools.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
it depends on the bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah take it to the shop. I got a custom bone nut for 40 bucks.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Quote by shotbythepope

You payed $40 for a nut?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Yeah. My neck is abit wonked so none of the nuts I found would fit it. The nut slot at the fretboard is kinda weird too.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
well i just took the nut out of my squier p bass 5 seconds ago with a pair of pliers, was fairly simple. although dont try it with a more upmarket bass, a friend did it with a MIA P bass and because it as better built the nut was really tough to get out without damage
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by shotbythepope

dude i think you got scammedm, a custom made bone nut is around 10$ here, maybe in your place is diferent
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400