i had a stupid question that i figured out now its over

now ihave a new question

i want to improve my solos, other then listening to different music and noticing patterns and such, what other scales can i use for classic rock and blues

so far i use the pentatonic, blues scale, major, and minor scales

anything else i should learn specifically?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Last edited by timzee117 at Aug 10, 2008,
This is why I hate the Grimoire. Knowledge of a million different scales is completely useless without knowing the theory behind them.

If you are in the key of C major, use the C major scale. You have all twelve notes of the chromatic scale available to you, but knowing how to use them comes with years of study and practice. If you are playing in a minor key, it would be common to use a major chord built off of the dominant, even though it should technically be minor. The reason for this is that it creates a stronger resolution. The result is that the seventh degree is raised, but this creates an augmented second interval between the sixth and seventh degrees, which is (in many genres) considered dissonant. For this reason it then became common practice to raise the sixth degree as well when moving towards the seventh, resulting in the creation of the melodic minor scale (1-2-b3-4-5-6-7). When moving downwards, towards the fifth, the sixth and seventh were again lowered (resulting in the natural minor scale). In this fashion, the melodic minor is better described as an alteration to the natural minor scale than as a scale in its own right.

In jazz, it is considered a scale in its own right, but its usage here is vastly more complicated. If you're interested in jazz, either find yourself a good teacher, or pick up a textbook.

Ignore melodic minor for now. Knowledge of the major scale (all over the neck, in every key) and diatonic harmony is vastly more important.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
im in ap theory in my school im not completely retarded, but retarded enough to confuse labels on a chart. i figured it out on my own so nevermind

sorry for angering you

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by timzee117
im in ap theory in my school im not completely retarded, but retarded enough to confuse labels on a chart. i figured it out on my own so nevermind

sorry for angering you

I'm not angry.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
it came off in a pissed off tone, but you know how it is over text its always hard to tell

if i sould ignore the melodic minor scales, are there any scales i should be focusing on (other then the major) to play classic rock and blues type songs?

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

i already have taht down im just sick of my solos sounding the same

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Everyone has that problem. Just listen to a lot of music and try some different stuff.
thats what ive been doing

but are there any other scales i should be practicing

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

for blues and classic rock you can mix in some notes from mixolydian and dorian modes with major and minor penatonic
I'm not sure how much you know about this stuff because I don't really know anything about AP music theory. But really, I've found (from this forum and experience) that learning new scales doesn't really help as much as you would think in not sounding the same until you know more about what you're doing. It'll have a different or exotic sound but you'll get tired of it pretty soon and then feel all your solos sound the same again. like said, everyone has this problem. the key thing is phrasing. check out this column, it'll probably help
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/phrasing_for_dummies.html
Quote by timzee117

sorry for angering you

Archeo doesn't get angry, he/she is just very efficient.
Quote by timzee117
it came off in a pissed off tone, but you know how it is over text its always hard to tell

if i sould ignore the melodic minor scales, are there any scales i should be focusing on (other then the major) to play classic rock and blues type songs?
He's an asshole, but hes a good asshole, listen to him.

If your beginning to improvise, I'd suggest something simple like pentatonics. This way you can focus on the much more important phrasing. Also, just as an almost unrelated tip, try to copy a singers phrasing. Think of it as if your singing with your guitar.
use the c major scale and if the key changes during the chorus to Am then change the solo key to Am
**** this im redoing this thread lol

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by timzee117
i had a stupid question that i figured out now its over

now ihave a new question

i want to improve my solos, other then listening to different music and noticing patterns and such, what other scales can i use for classic rock and blues

so far i use the pentatonic, blues scale, major, and minor scales

anything else i should learn specifically?

That's the most useful thing you can do - you don't need to learn a load of random scales to sound interesting, you don't even need to learn modes.

Listen to music, analyze it, see how it was constructed and what clever tricks the artist used and learn from it.

By using the major scale or natural minor as your framework and learning to make good use of accidentals where appropriate by learning what they sound like in relation to everything else you effectively negate the need to learn 90% of the so called "exotic" scales in existence. By all means learn about them as reference, and be able to see where their characteristics appear, but it's far easier and more constructive to simply approach things as the major or minor scale with alterations/embellishments.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com