Im sure I could find a drummer and lead singer cause I have a lead and rythm guitar but im not sure if i badly need a bassist
Yeah, you'll lack somthing without some kind of bottom end.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Your songs will sound weird without bass.

People take bass for granted.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
You can make it work, but it's not going to sound as full. Also depends a lot on the kind of music you're playing.
Spiral Out
It generally does not word, I have tried. But, then again, look at The Doors.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by Minderbinder

And Metallica on "...And Justice For All" And I think Immortal only had 2 guitarists and a drummer, but I could be wrong....
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Minderbinder

The Doors had a keyboard though.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
and the white stripes ^
Co founder and fifth member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club. pm Theplague925 or PapaSmurph to join.
Dude, I would kill to be able to find a bassist in my area. Singers, drummers, and especially guitarists breed like f*cking rabbits around here, but finding a bassist, let alone a good one, is like trying to find bigfoot.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Get a bass pedal. It's how Genesis did it back in the Gabriel era when they needed two guitarists for a song section, which happened a lot.
Quote by RobinTrower12
Its certainly possible but its much simpler just to get a bassist.

This.

You do not need one, but I would say in most cases it is very important.
One bassist and one guitarist sounds so much better than only two guitarists.
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
Quote by giiii
One bassist and one guitarist sounds so much better than only two guitarists.

One bassist, two guitarists, singer, and a drummer sounds better than all your variations.

Great guitarist = hard to find
Great bassist = very hard to find

Good guitarist = fairly easy to find
Good bassist = kinda hard

Crap guitarist = very easy
Crap bassist = easy
Last edited by The Behemoth at Aug 10, 2008,
It's not CRUCIAL, say - like a drummer is for example. But it's still pretty important.

However, not having a bassist is far better than having a bad bassist IMO. Unless they're willing to learn FAST.

Would Go Gay For Grohl.
Quote by The Behemoth
High= Drums

Mid=Guitars

Bass = Bass or Keyboard or anything bass like

WTF?
Drums= Beat/Rhythm
Guitar and Vox= Melody
Bass= Rhythm/Counter-Melody
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
WTF?
Drums= Beat/Rhythm
Guitar and Vox= Melody
Bass= Rhythm/Counter-Melody

sound levels, you idiot.

Drums are the high of the sound level, middle of the sound level are the guitars, and the bottom of the sound is the bass of the level and that is how you get a full sound.

Don't you know any theory behind a musical ensembles?
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
The Doors had a keyboard though.

If you listen to a lot of Doors songs, though, you'll notice that in addition to Manzarek playing low-pitched parts with his left hand, there's a studio bass on an awful lot of their work. The Ting Tings, similarly, definitely had a bass synth going in a recent TV preformance I saw and I've the suspicion that Jack White adds the odd studio bass to his songs.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that a low-end instrument is pretty much vital for creating the sort of sound western rock audiences are used to. You can make good noise without one, but if you look at the list of people who had no bassist (and no studio bass tracks), it's small.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by The Behemoth
sound levels, you idiot.

Drums are the high of the sound level, middle of the sound level are the guitars, and the bottom of the sound is the bass of the level and that is how you get a full sound.

Don't you know any theory behind a musical ensembles?

what does that even mean? And it dpends on what you're playing on the instrument. If you're talking about pitch then you're a retard. If you're talking about volume you're a retard.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
what does that even mean? And it dpends on what you're playing on the instrument. If you're talking about pitch then you're a retard. If you're talking about volume you're a retard.

Are you serious?

You are a complete idiot. I don't know if I can dumb it down for you anymore than I alright did. I'll draw a picture for you. I'm just hoping that you are not a complete retard to not get it.

I don't think you can get more simpler than this. I'm not talking about the volume, I'm talking about the 'full band sound'.
Yes you need a bassist... Once you realise the importance of the sound your missing you'll be wanting one badly.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Yes you need a bassist... Once you realise the importance of the sound your missing you'll be wanting one badly.

+1

and it also goes for any other instrument in a band.
You could always get one of your guitarists a Baritone guitar. I've always wondered if that would fill the sound well or not. Of course, nothing replaces a bassist, but sometimes they can be hard to find.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I think you should definitely get a bassist. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but other then vocals and keyboards (which I'm not counting seeing as a lot of bands don't have either), I think the guitar is the most expendable instrument in a band. And I say that as a guitar player. A great rhythm section can do wonders for your sound. Pretty much every great band of the last 50 years has had a killer rhythm section.
Quote by ohhey9040
I think you should definitely get a bassist. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but other then vocals and keyboards (which I'm not counting seeing as a lot of bands don't have either), I think the guitar is the most expendable instrument in a band. And I say that as a guitar player. A great rhythm section can do wonders for your sound. Pretty much every great band of the last 50 years has had a killer rhythm section.

+50
Quote by CurbstompBass
Just get a bassist.

I'm sick of seeing topics like this. Unless you want to sound empty/thin, find someone to fill out the lower register and groove with the drums.

Agreed 100%

We've had loads of these 'can you play without a bass?' threads, probably more than any other question in the entire bandleading section, and it would probably be a good idea if one of them could be stickied or something to avoid the question being repeated over and over again.

For the record, no, you don't need bass for music, many musicians play nothing but acoustic guitars and sound perfectly OK, but for any sort of band that uses amps, especialy rock bands, bass is desirable as it fills out the sound and makes it more satisfying to listen to.
But you don't have to use bass guitar to provide bass. You could use keyboards, stand-up bass, bass peddles, bass brass instruments, even didgeridoo, but the easiest option is still to have someone playing a bass guitar.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 13, 2008,
Quote by Helloween_rox
Dude, I would kill to be able to find a bassist in my area. Singers, drummers, and especially guitarists breed like f*cking rabbits around here, but finding a bassist, let alone a good one, is like trying to find bigfoot.

lol Where do you live and what kinda music do you play?
Get a basist. The vast majority of "bands" have one
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by The Behemoth
One bassist, two guitarists, singer, and a drummer sounds better than all your variations.

Great guitarist = hard to find
Great bassist = very hard to find

Good guitarist = fairly easy to find
Good bassist = kinda hard

Crap guitarist = very easy
Crap bassist = easy

I was just explaining that a band needs a bassist. And that it sounds better with one guitarist and one bassist than two guitarist without bassists. About the two guitarists thingy, thats not always true.
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
Quote by The Behemoth
Are you serious?

You are a complete idiot.

Nah dude that would be you. The only part of a drum kit that deals with "highs" is the cymbals and hi-hat. The rest is mids (snare/toms) and lows (kick drum/floor tom). There's a reason its called a "bass drum", because it is tuned low. A kick drum is a much a part of a band's 'low-end' as a bass guitar.

As for this thread, yes you need a bass guitarist. The bass is the link between the rhythm (drums) and melody (guitar/vocals). It is an essential part of any musical group, regardless of what style you play. There are exceptions, and ways around it; but ultimately the easiest option is to simply get a bass guitarist.
It's not about pitch, to_the_grave, while the drums keep the band together and driving, they aren't the foundation of the sound. The bass is. All of the sound builds on the bass's sound. The bass is like the tires, and the drums are like the engine. With the guitar being the body of the car? bad analogy. but your sound sits on the bass.

But i agree, you need a bass. I had the same problem a while ago. When we didn't want to work with our old bassist, the rhythm guitarist took up bass to fill in our sound. And it's worked really quite well.
Quote by Minderbinder

A HUGE part of the doors sound was that Ray Manzarek would play the bass parts on the keyboard, check out songs like L.A. Women and Peace Frog

and too answer your question a bassist plays a vital part in a band
Quote by bassm29
A HUGE part of the doors sound was that Ray Manzarek would play the bass parts on the keyboard, check out songs like L.A. Women and Peace Frog

and too answer your question a bassist plays a vital part in a band

While Manzarek did play a lot of bass-pitch stuff with his left hand, a ton of Doors songs have a session musician playing an electric bass on the studio versions, unless Ray discovered some secret way to give his keyboards the exact same punch and tone as a bass guitar
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
I don't mean to be a jerk, but just the fact that you're asking this and you're not able to figure it out yourself shows that maybe you're not ready to start a band?