I'm thinking about trading in my 60W 2x12 HRDeville for a Peavey Classic 30 and some cash or a discount on a TS808. I have a BD-2 but honestly I cannot stand how ice-pick-ish it makes that amp sound.

My motive for trade is that the HRD is way too loud for anything I will ever need, and too heavy for me to carry around. So, in essence, i can't put it to good use at home, and I can't get it anywhere else to make use of its power. I need a less powerful amp.

If Nay, feel free to make other suggestions.

EDIT: I play an American Ash stratocaster w/ Custom Shop '69 pickups, and am in love with SRV deep blues tone.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
i was gonna say YAY!!! up until i saw that you reallllly want that SRV tone.....

how bout tradin' it in for a lower wattaged fender? like a blues junior or somethin? and definitely get a TS or TS-clone for SRV tones.

but yea....the classic 30 isn't gonna stay as clean as a fender and if you're wanting an SRV type sound, you need to be on the cleaner side of the gain spectrum.

so....NAY.

slash_edit: just reiterating, use a fender and tubescreamer if you want SRV sound. american voicing. good luck!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
If you want SRV stuff, keep the HRD. The Classic, although a great amp, really can't pull off a good SRV tone. It can nail british stuff though.

So yeah, keep the HRD and get a TS or something.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by cfhwarhead
Why not save up fro a high end low watt fender? I find your deal not worth it on your end.

In that case, why not trade my HRD for a BJ?
-Jim Morrison
Because a BJ is a low-end, low watt fender. Something like a deluxe reverb, princeton, champ, etc. are going to sound a lot more like SRV than any of the newer/non RI models.
Quote by Roc8995
Because a BJ is a low-end, low watt fender. Something like a deluxe reverb, princeton, champ, etc. are going to sound a lot more like SRV than any of the newer/non RI models.

The whole point of me getting rid of the HRD is to take a step down in wattage so I can play quieter with natural tube distortion. I want to get my tone without killing my ears. All those amps are up in the same wattage as the amplifier that I own already, so its kind of a pointless fix.

We're not talking top of the line fender here, we're talking portability, decent natural tone without killing my ears. An amp that I can use at home, and use in a small-medium gig.
-Jim Morrison
A champ is 5 watts. A princeton is 12 or 20, depending on the year. They are exactly what you want for tube distortion at low volumes. A champ with an extra cab is perfect for gigging.
Hmm...
Well, what's your budget?

Keep the HRD for now, because I couldn't really get SRV out of a blues junior. It's a great amp, just not the best for SRV.
You could sell the HRD and get a Deluxe Reverb RI or something like that, too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If I were in your position, I'd try to negotiate a trade up to a '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue, though you'd have to pony up more than the HRD for sure. Maybe there's a used one that could fetch a near-even trade...?
Quote by Roc8995
A champ is 5 watts. A princeton is 12 or 20, depending on the year. They are exactly what you want for tube distortion at low volumes. A champ with an extra cab is perfect for gigging.

Wow, I had no idea, apparently. How could this little thing possibly pull through at gigs with 5W?
-Jim Morrison
Because your 40w hot rod is, mathematically, not even twice as loud (3dB) as a 5w champ. You'd want something a tad larger if you need cleans at gig volumes, but with an efficient speaker 5W is just fine for gigging. Plus, if you have a PA, you can gig with any wattage at all and mic it.
The hot rod has a linear volume pot, so turn the master volume halfway up with the EQ set flat and the clean channel volume at about 8. Loud enough for ya? That's about what the champ will be. The only downside to the champ in your situation is that it has a smaller speaker, which might be a liability depending on how the rest of your rig sounds.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Aug 10, 2008,
Yeah, a champ with a high efficiency speaker would be good for gigs. As roc said, you could just mic it if need be.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Roc8995
Because your 40w hot rod is, mathematically, not even twice as loud (3dB) as a 5w champ. You'd want something a tad larger if you need cleans at gig volumes, but with an efficient speaker 5W is just fine for gigging. Plus, if you have a PA, you can gig with any wattage at all and mic it.
The hot rod has a linear volume pot, so turn the master volume halfway up with the EQ set flat and the clean channel volume at about 8. Loud enough for ya? That's about what the champ will be. The only downside to the champ in your situation is that it has a smaller speaker, which might be a liability depending on how the rest of your rig sounds.

One 6'' speaker can only go so far. My Hot Rod is 60w, its a Deville... and 2x12 has four times the speaker surface area of that little champ. I'm not saying surface area = volume, but it certainly contributes to the punch and fullness of the sound. A 6'' speaker playing at the same "volume" as a 2x12s... its not comparable.

I don't know if I like the idea of 5w, it may be too low. Wouldn't that mean I have practically no head room for cleans?

Any other suggestions, perhaps other brands if fender doesnt have what i'm looking for?

EDIT; say I plugged the champ into a 1x12 cab. How would that work out?
-Jim Morrison
How do you guys feel about the Super Champ XD for a trade, perhaps?
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
In that case, why not trade my HRD for a BJ?

If I could think of anything, I would tell you, but all I can think of is to look up SRV & people who inspired him. (Jimi Hendrix etc...)

Also not to get off topic, I would trade my HRD for a BJ, if you know what I mean. (wink wink nudge nudge)
Quote by SlinkyBlue
How do you guys feel about the Super Champ XD for a trade, perhaps?
No. The XD is a Hybrid, and isnt even a tube amp. Its a modeling amp.

Definatley no.
Quote by FRDesign
No. The XD is a Hybrid, and isnt even a tube amp. Its a modeling amp.

Definatley no.

Looks like i'm in a real crappy spot. =(

I'd still appreciate all help, people.
-Jim Morrison