Hello, I would like to ask for some help with the setup/settings of a stack amp connected with a multi effects pedal and a guitar with active humbuckers. My main issue is that my higher notes are not as clean as I would like them. I am into metal, the tone I would like to achieve is somewhere along the lines of heavy yet clear and tight riffs along with smooth and 'clean' solos in the sense that the high notes will be heard nicely to the ear and not muddy.

To ease things up I will list the gear that I am using and with which I would like to achieve that tone:
• Engl invader (e640) head (150w)
• Mesa rectifier 4x12 cabinet
• Boss gt10 multi effects processor
• Jackson rr24 w/ an EMG81 humbucking bridge pickup.

The thing is I messed around with the gt10 EQ somewhat got an improved sound but it is still not at all pleasant. Also I am not sure if I should leave the gt10 connected to the engl input on the clean channel or reconnect to the send return fx loop. Also I was thinking of placing a neck pickup as well (is this a good or a bad idea?). I am quite frustrated with the time I spent on tweaking around and receiving minimal results... If anyone knows what I need to do, all I ask is for some guidance. Thank you very much.
i have a gt-8 a half stack and an EMG 81 g-tar. try doing what i do. one tone for your rhythm metal stuff, and another patch for my leads. usually like, mids at least 50 and the others according i guess. lots of messing around with the eq and gain. keep plenty of mids in there at all times. maybe pick and amp model that sounds cleaner. also, i use the neck pick up for all my leads/cleans and the bridge for my rhythm. if you lower the neck pickup you will get a cleaner sound for solos. and higher for more searing ewwy tone

and i plug my gt-8 into the FX input in the back of the amplifier. i like it so i can control ALL settings from the pedal and dont have to do anything with amp and such. I actually removed the preamp in my stack.
What the hell are you doing with a modeling pedal if you've got a beastie amp head ? Try maxing out the volume of your amp and let it rip the paint off the walls, no pedals needed there you've got hell of an amp. Your rig is alright as long as you keep that pedal off the cables.

EDIT: As for rythm & lead-wise, that'S what a cranked head & a master volume on a guitar are meant for, put it at 10 to ge tyour lead tone, then rol it down to riff the **** out of it.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Aug 10, 2008,
Thank you for your reply Mary Just I will give the miss a try and maybe place a neck pickup in.

Also, Gäbe I am aware of the amazing tone this amp has and I do use it, but when I want to change the pitch or add any effect for that manner I don't know how to make it sound good. Do you think it is possible I could use the gt10 (which I will definitely connect to the fx loop) on a distorted channel (eg. Channel 4) in order to preseve my amp's distortion as well as have an EQ in there along with the pitch shifter? Because that would be ideal...
Btw if it helps, I like the sound of guitarists like syu (plays in many bands eg. Galneryus) as well as anime games like guilty gear by arc system works its an amazing metal tone. I play things in the likes of that as well as other bands like The Black Dahlia Murder, All Shall Perish, Whitechapel, Brain Drill, and lots more which complemt the tone which I wish to achieve. I am aware that tone is a personal and unique thing but surely there must be some globally known settings such as reducing this ridiculously loud noise which for some reason the noise suppresor does not block out as well as something that will bring out each note clearly.......
another good thing about having an fx pedal, is that you can get great tone without having to blast your amp. idk about you, but i am not a fan of 'louder is better'
Quote by Mary Just
another good thing about having an fx pedal, is that you can get great tone without having to blast your amp. idk about you, but i am not a fan of 'louder is better'

Indeed, if anything it is more enjoyable to listen to what you are playing and once you have it nailed then you can go play it loud in a concert hall were the acoustics are made for loud.

(At the moment I do not wish to be evicted from my neighbourhood...)