I don't know if this is considered a "vs." thread and therefore not allowed.. so i didn't put vs. in the title. Im looking at the Fender Classic player Jazzmaster special and jaguar special. I want to know the differences in tone, and which one would suit me better. I know people have "preference" so im going to ask what tonal differences they have. based on looks, i think i like the Jazzmaster but i am looking for sound and playability over looks (learned that the hard way).

My music is alternative and classic rock. I like bright tones, the twang of telecasters, and SINGLE COIL pickups. Jazzmasters arent humbuckers are they? I may just be ignorant with this thread but maybe UG members can shed light on me issue.

Whatever can create the brightness of a telecaster in the bridge pickup, but thickness in the neck pickup (basically a telecaster lol). I'm really just looking for the differences in tone. Please do not post that i should just go buy a telecaster or strat. Anyone experienced with both jaguars and jazzmasters, especially the classic player specials, please post

EDIT: i'm thinking jaguar, after advice. Does the Classic Player Jaguar Special hold up to jaguar standards? your opinions please.

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Last edited by chipmunksurfer at Aug 10, 2008,
I have a Nashville Deluxe tele it handles both very well, i especiall love the 2nd position on it, gives a great pearl jam esque Ten sound. Jazzmasters from what I know are too warm sounding if youre looking for that brightness
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
huh? i wasnt asking for the tele... but thank you for the jazzmaster advice. i thought maybe that was the case. Does anyone have jaguar experience?

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
If you want bright, go for the Jaguar. They're the usual surf guitar, with normal single coils, and have a switch that makes it even more trebly.

The Jazzmaster has a slightly different single coil pickup, similar to a p90, which makes for a warmer sound, especially in the neck position.
Last edited by 601210 at Aug 10, 2008,
whats wrong with getting a telecaster? you sound like you like the tone... you can get a good tele, their much cheaper then a jaguar
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Aug 10, 2008,
i have a telecaster already. i want to keep the tone similar and im simply interested in the jaguar/jazzmaster.. all i meant was please answer the question, rather than come up w/ your own solution.