I'm seriously confused on what overdrive pedals (bad monkey, boss, maxon, ibanez) are supposed to do. I've heard things like theyre not distortion pedals and they give your guitars a boost.

well my question is, can i use the overdrive pedal AND a distortion pedal also at the same time?

if not, are there any pedals that can give me some kind of boost? like maybe the boss eq pedal.
Overdrives push your tubes harder so you get more breakup, increasing gain and volume.

If you want a "boost" of a certain frequency, i.e. treble boost/mid boost/bass boost, look into an EQ pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
but can you run an overdrive pedal WITH a distortion pedal at the same time?
Quote by nick54321
but can you run an overdrive pedal WITH a distortion pedal at the same time?

Steve Vai definitely did it (DS-1 and Tubescreamer at the same time).
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
not really...basically the idea of overdrive pedals over an amps dist channel is that u have the level of the pedal really high and the gain/drive of the pedal really low...the tone knob on the pedal can be wherever sounds best so i d say you could do od--->dist pedal---> amp but i d try it with the amp on clean first cause like u said the gain will be alot
The purpose of an overdrive is to slightly distort the signal.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Quote by Raijouta
Overdrives push your tubes harder so you get more breakup, increasing gain and volume.

If you want a "boost" of a certain frequency, i.e. treble boost/mid boost/bass boost, look into an EQ pedal.

No they don't, they simply simulate the sound of a mildly overdriven tube amp, so when you use them with a tube amp it sounds like the tubes are distorting more than they actually are.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yep. They just add some clipping to the sound, which then goes into the amp to get distorted more. They don't do anything to the valves.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Indeed. The mixup comes from how people often use overdrive pedals - it's very popular to use them as "clean boosts", when they only boost the signal instead of just distorting it. This causes the preamp of tube amps to be driven more, giving more gain. However, that's not what overdrive pedals are made for. They do work very well as clean boosts, tho.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Both the boss sd1 and the bad monkey's instructions state they reproduce or simulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp. They do work well as a clean boost also. The thin sounding boss sd1 also works really well to tighten up an overdriven tube amp which is a bit flabby. As you can see on overdrive is a pretty versitile pedal and come in many flavours. You could run an overdrive into a distortion pedal or another overdrive pedal if that gives you the sound you want.