My band and I are planning on playing a tribute concert to a band. We will pretty much be playing about 20 songs by a band and it will be a concert open to the public but held in a privately rented building. The admission will be free, we will not be profiting in any way and we (the band) are paying for the building.

Are there any legal things that we should note for this? Is it legal to do something like this?
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
The Canada Copyright Act is much more lenient than the American version, I'm no lawyer so I can't give you a guarantee. How big is the gig? No one's going to harass you about royalty for something small or mid-size, especially since you're not profiting.
i think your fine playing live as long as it doesn't end up being recorded and distributed in any way.

you might wanna google the harry fox agencey and "the cover song quagmire". thats where i got my info

edit: wow i spaced, ur not in america. disregard all that ↑
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
You should be fine as long as you don't make a profit out of it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Yeah, I'm in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and the show will be about 250-300 people
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
300 people ... nice. Anyway, I was just thumbing through the Copyright Act (I have no life) and I conclude that you are good to go. Section 27, paragraph 5 is as follows:

It is an infringement of copyright for any person, for profit, to permit a theatre or other place of entertainment to be used for the performance in public of a work or other subject-matter without the consent of the owner of the copyright unless that person was not aware, and had no reasonable ground for suspecting, that the performance would be an infringement of copyright.
But the owner of the building IS PROFITING from this, which would put him/her in violation of copyright!

This from the SOCAN site: (www.socan.com)

"If you perform or authorize the performance of copyright-protected music in any public setting, or if you communicate those works to the public by telecommunication, you need the permission of the copyright owners. It's the law."

also from the SOCAN site:

"Q: I rent my venue to promoters. Shouldn’t they be responsible for paying the SOCAN fee?
A: Yes, they are also responsible. If the promoter of an event doesn’t obtain the necessary licence, the owner of the venue can be held responsible for the unlicensed performance. If music is used in your venue, simply contact SOCAN. It’s easy to ensure that the right SOCAN licence is obtained. "

Check out their tarriffs... http://www.socan.com/jsp/en/resources/tariffs.jsp

4A2 looks like the most applicable to your situation - $60.

Cheers to you for taking the time to bother finding out!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Hey pwrmax... thanks for the group link in your sig! Joined!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.