so I was wondering if anyone here in the Pit knew how to go about publishing a book?

I'm going to write a novel soon, and want to know what to do so I can get it out there for people to read, you know?

I would like to know anything about what it costs or how to find a publisher or copyright info ... anything really.

Thanks!
When I was in seventh grade, we had a project that we did that involved writing books and publishing them. Mine was epic. We just had some company do it for us. Although, they just sent us hardbound copies, they didn't actually ship them out.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
You send it to publishers, and if they like it, they'll contact you and publish it.

I actually had a dude recommend me to a published based in Holland or some ridiculous shit when I was writing a story with major resemblances to the Holocaust, and many other war things.

At that time though, I didn't feel like I could because my grammar was terrible. Not to mention I switched from first person view, to third a lot.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
you have to send a querry to a publisher with the first four chapters, a detailed outline and a (FORMAL) letter asking them to publish it. Include nothing else. If they like it, they will contact you.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Bust you ass. That is the only way you'll succeed in the writing business.

Try writing short stories and sending them out to magazines. I don't know if thats an altogether common practice these days but its how a lot of my favorite novelists got their start.
Quote by Dionietzsche

Try writing short stories and sending them out to magazines. I don't know if thats an altogether common practice these days but its how a lot of my favorite novelists got their start.

your odds drastically increase if you've published short stories, try with smaller magazines first and then work your way up. even if you want to be a novelist, short stories will sky rocket your chances - only if they're good, of course. you can mention them in the business letter i discussed earlier. think of part of it as an almost writing resume, but only state the facts. no colorful bull****.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Dionietzsche

Isn't that how Charles Dickens started?
Quote by CaptainRon
Isn't that how Charles Dickens started?

It got Fitzgerald started though, along with all the guys from the golden age of science fiction.
Quote by MorbidVirus
Copyright.gov?

so what are you looking to publish?

well, I'm working on a possible Star Wars novel - I read a few and I love Star Wars so I figured that would be interesting to try...I'm not sure how to contact George Lucas though to see if he could let me use the whole Star Wars thing (I don't even know how that works)...

After that I plan on trying to write a series of shorter novels maybe targeted towards teens...I'm not sure. Right now I want to get the Star Wars novel done.
Quote by StJimmy88
well, I'm working on a possible Star Wars novel - I read a few and I love Star Wars so I figured that would be interesting to try...I'm not sure how to contact George Lucas though to see if he could let me use the whole Star Wars thing (I don't even know how that works)...

After that I plan on trying to write a series of shorter novels maybe targeted towards teens...I'm not sure. Right now I want to get the Star Wars novel done.

I'm sorry, but it's not going to happen. The Star Wars franchise either hires well-established writers to write stories for them, or you would have to pay a large sum of money and a percentage of the income it makes. The only way you could get this is to ask for permission to use it, and the answer will be no unless you're the next Tolkien, with proof of it.
EDIT: You could send parts of it to the corporation and see if theyre interested, but really, I don't think you'd have a chance other than them taking the story and someone else re-write it. They wouldn't have to pay you anything because theyve already got an intellectual copyright on the series, best you could hope for is your name in the small print at the bottom of the page inside the front cover.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Last edited by dann_blood at Aug 10, 2008,
^He's probably right, but you should write it anyway. Its something you want to do and it will help you develop your writing skills.
Quote by dann_blood
I'm sorry, but it's not going to happen. The Star Wars franchise either hires well-established writers to write stories for them, or you would have to pay a large sum of money and a percentage of the income it makes. The only way you could get this is to ask for permission to use it, and the answer will be no unless you're the next Tolkien, with proof of it.
EDIT: You could send parts of it to the corporation and see if theyre interested, but really, I don't think you'd have a chance other than them taking the story and someone else re-write it. They wouldn't have to pay you anything because theyve already got an intellectual copyright on the series, best you could hope for is your name in the small print at the bottom of the page inside the front cover.

That is most likely the case, but hey there's other things to write about? right?
or hell you can still try, maybe you can get some experience from it
yeah, I plan on it [going through with writing the star wars novel] - and being strait forward is best...so thanks.

However, it is very true that there are other things to write about, so that's what Ill do. I just have to be creative, eh?
Yeah, i'm not saying stop writing it, but don't expect anything big to come of it. You're going to need to hash out original ideas, and you're going to need to do a proper timeline, series of events and a full storyline. Then write in the filler. It's what all professional writers do. J.K.Rowling spent 5 years planning Harry Potter, Tolkien made up a whole history of the world including languages, conflicts, etc.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
yeah, thats why I love star wars so much...I mean, I know it's not originally a novel but still - The "world" (if you will) of Star Wars is so immense. There's just so much filler between the movies with books, games, TV shows, and comic books that it's freakin sweet. I suppose you could say I would like to be a part of it.

But to make my own little universe where I could have so much info about a franchise like that would be nice as well - But hard as damn hell!
Just start with a story or concept and build off it. Don't try and write the story to start with, just summaries of what happens, and build on it, fill in information, create side stories, repeat.
Quote by Vornik
If you're writing something in an existing franchise for your first novel you're in trouble. Unless you're established your chances are pretty much nonexistant. If you really like the idea, by all means write it, if for nothing but the experience it will net you. If you want to publish it, you can try, but don't get your hopes up, your odds are pretty much zero. However, if you publish a few novels afterwards and then try again your chances could go way up. still, it would have to be great to get accepted. SW isn't exactly struggling to find new novelists at the moment, so to break in you have to be something special.