I was playing a gig with my band tonight when my amp stopped working. The way I had my pedals set up was:

Guitar>Boss Metalzone>Ibanez TS-808>Boss Chromatic Tuner>Marshall JCM 2000

I had just turned the Metalzone off because it was a part where I didn't play, and wanted to reduce the noise. When I turned it back on, the volume had drastically decreased. I could barely hear it. I tried switching guitars (because my volume knob sometimes cuts out) but it didn't make a difference. Luckily, a guitarist from one of the other bands let me use his head to attempt to finish the set. His head worked fine, so it wasn't my pedals or cables. It might have been the cable I use to connect the head to the cab (it's shielded), might have gone bad or something.

So any other ideas? Sorry if I forgot to mention anything.

g13
need details of your amp,

manufacture
valve or solid
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by cyclobs
need details of your amp,

manufacture
valve or solid

Judging from his post, it's a Marshall tube stack...
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Your cable could be the problem. I have a cable that does that, im going to buy a couple of new jacks and put them on in place of the old one.

Or it could be the input jack on one of your pedals or amp.
Quote by Colgate Total
Judging from his post, it's a Marshall tube stack...

oh right,

yeah it helps if i read ay
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Did you try plugging straight into the amp? Replacing the cable between then head and cab would be a good try.
Quote by pwrmax
Did you try plugging straight into the amp? Replacing the cable between then head and cab would be a good try.

I don't really think the pedals were the problem, because they worked fine through the other head.

-g13
It could've been a battery running dead on a pedal. It could've been a blow tube or fuse. It could've been a bad connection between the guitar chords and pedals/amp. It could've been a bad solder joint in the guitar. It could've been anything man.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
It could've been a battery running dead on a pedal. It could've been a blow tube or fuse. It could've been a bad connection between the guitar chords and pedals/amp. It could've been a bad solder joint in the guitar. It could've been anything man.

Agree..
But I think it's either the battery of the blow tube/fuse.
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Try everything individually. Long winded but will find the problem. If the volume went down when you tuened the metalzone on, then it may be a metalzone related problem.
try your guitar through the amp without any pedals. if it works, its one of the pedals, if it dosnt, its the amp
Quote by josh c
try your guitar through the amp without any pedals. if it works, its one of the pedals, if it dosnt, its the amp

he already eliminated the pedals by playing the rest of the set with his pedals through a different amp.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Well, plugged my amp in at home today and turned it on. I plugged my guitar directly in and everything seemed to work fine, until it started making everything I play sound fuzzy. I started messing with settings to see if I could narrow it down and I think it has something to do with the clean gain control on the amp. The clean channel has two settings (mostly clean and clean with gain added). There is an on/off switch to change from one to the other. When I tapped on the switch and the surrounding area, the signal would get more fuzzy. So, I think there's either some kind of short somewhere, or the switch is dirty or something.

-g13
uh he just said hes cable from head to cab was shielded.

isn't that like a big no no?
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Quote by gothikchile13
Well, plugged my amp in at home today and turned it on. I plugged my guitar directly in and everything seemed to work fine, until it started making everything I play sound fuzzy. I started messing with settings to see if I could narrow it down and I think it has something to do with the clean gain control on the amp. The clean channel has two settings (mostly clean and clean with gain added). There is an on/off switch to change from one to the other. When I tapped on the switch and the surrounding area, the signal would get more fuzzy. So, I think there's either some kind of short somewhere, or the switch is dirty or something.

-g13

Its unlikely there is a short inside your amp, check the tubes. Its more likely a tube failed.
Not to be a snob, but (a) If you're running multiple pedals, use an ac adaptor, don't rely on batteries, and (b) WTF are you running a Metalzone into a Marshall Tube amp for anyway????

But anyway, try different cables, check the fuse on the amp, check the speaker cable from the amp to he cab, basically, start at square one, and go from there. The first thing you need to do is run a guitar through a cable you know is functioning properly straight into the amp. This will prove if it's the amp or not. Then go step by step from there.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
tube.. make sure you check em' every now and then they tend to die randomly...
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top ~ Tranparent Amber

Jay Turser JT57FTM ~ Strat. Replica **First guitar**

*If you would like an Avatar like mine(except with your favorite band) Message me and I'll make one for you *
I don't mean to repeat myself but...

Isn't a shielded cable from head to cab a BIG no no?

Aren't you supposed to have an unshielded one?
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Turns out a tube blew and took out the entire bias circuit. The guy said resistors were split open. Got it back now. It sounds better than it did when I bought it.

-g13

PS: Not to sound like an asshole, but why the **** do you think I run a Metalzone through a Marshall tube stack? Because I like the way it sounds.

Also, yes, I did some research and you are supposed to use unshielded speaker cables to connect the head to the cab. That might have been what caused it to blow. I switched to an unshielded cable and everything seems ok.
Last edited by gothikchile13 at Aug 17, 2008,