I have a Peavey Zodiac EX (Cheapy little bastard) and (wait for it) a Peavey Max 126 TransTube practice amp.

I'm really looking for a tone like the one in this youtube video (clicky) but I know for a fact that I would not be getting that with my curent set-up. My question is, what would be the best route to follow for going along this tone-seeking-bass path? What amps should I look into, any pedals I should keep an eye out for, pickups to pick-up? (Pun definitely intended)

Or, is it at all possible to get a tone at least somewhat reminiscent of that from my ****ty little set up? I don't need the full-fledged sound that he has, just something...brighter than the muddier stuff I've got going.

(If this is the wrong forum, please tell me ASAP. I've had bad experiences with posting wrong topics on wrong forums simply because people get anal about their board content)
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
go with roundwound strings first of all, I would say for settings add the mids cut some of the bass. I'm no expert but that may help, anyone correct me where I'm wrong
I don't know much about that bass or amp but a fretless jazz bass would get you a sound very close to that video I think.
Keep the low mids up a little for that growl, that amp would be the bottleneck in terms of tone. Rotosound strings would also help. I never use anything else on my basses, flat and roundwound.
Ah. Well you see the problem is my bass has two knobs. High and Low.

it also has a Vintage knob, and a Gain knob. I stick to Vintage as a rule of thumb, it gets closer towards the sound in the video. The problem is that no matter how I fuss with the High and Low, it doesn't ever change that much. I can tell how the low or high is dropping in and out as I turn the knobs up and down but it never really changes anything.

And I'd definitely be sticking to the roundwounds. The tapewounds are for my Harmony H25 as soon as I get my new pickups and bridge put in
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Quote by NotAGuitarHero
Ah. Well you see the problem is my bass has two knobs. High and Low.

An EQ pedal will help there.
a better amp would be my suggestion as well, but idk about your financial predicament
Quote by pwrmax
An EQ pedal will help there.

I saw someone else's Tone-seeking thread and I noticed a lot of EQ pedal talk. I'm not much of an accessory buyer so I wouldn't know where to start or how much to save up. Plus, would that take higher priority over, say, delving on a replacement tuning knobs for a bass? I have a checklist for my Musiciansfriend account and next up is some replacement tuning knobs, though they aren't 100% needed, they'd just be a...luxurios upgrade.

*EDIT* I'm definitely NOT in the Amp Market, although if you have absolutely any amp reccommendations for the tone I'm trying to get I'd happily write them down and look for them the next time I'm at the guitar shop.
Quote by top shelf

Quote by Tubyboulin
Quote by NotAGuitarHero
I saw someone else's Tone-seeking thread and I noticed a lot of EQ pedal talk. I'm not much of an accessory buyer so I wouldn't know where to start or how much to save up. Plus, would that take higher priority over, say, delving on a replacement tuning knobs for a bass? I have a checklist for my Musiciansfriend account and next up is some replacement tuning knobs, though they aren't 100% needed, they'd just be a...luxurios upgrade.

*EDIT* I'm definitely NOT in the Amp Market, although if you have absolutely any amp reccommendations for the tone I'm trying to get I'd happily write them down and look for them the next time I'm at the guitar shop.

Since you're not getting a new amp, the best thing you can do to your tone is get an EQ pedal. The Boss GEB-7 will be your friend there.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-GEB7-Bass-Equalizer-Pedal?sku=151395&src=3SOSWXXA
Hmm...that pedal is quite the steal, although I have no clue what any of the little slider things mean on my iTunes, let alone on a bass pedal.

Ah to hell with it. Better start somewhere right? I'll start saving up for that bad boy, a week's paycheck should put it in my hands

Muchos Gracias, Señores. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?
Quote by top shelf

Quote by Tubyboulin
Quote by Bonesaw
in the future look into maybe an Ampeg amp

You're not being serious, right?

Quoted for the lulz.
You need a horn or tweeter to get the true bright sound, this is what most cabs use these days when producing the modern bright sound.
You can add these yourself if it's not built in.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
That is a Jaco song, obviously

And its quite a good representation of the good Sir's tone

He used Hartke amps, they were different back in his day though

But, I'm running a Hartke 250 head with a Hartke 4x10 and a Hartke 1x15 (both paper cone) Cabs, and through my Fender Jag with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders I can get that by turning off my neck pickup and turning the master tone about three quarters off

With your set up... not entirely sure

I would have to say try... playing closer to the bridge, Treble at about... 6 or 7, High mids at about... 3 or 4, low mids at about 6, 7, or 8 and lows at about 3 or 4

that would get you close enough to make a judgement/personal preference from there

and when I have been messing around with my right hand playing, stroking slightly upwards like what hes doing, makes it a brighter sound than when just rest srtoking it like usual.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"