I would really like to learn this mode or scale It has a very true sound I love, I have no way of getting anyone in real life to teach me, I know there most be something on the web to help break it down nice and slow as my speed is not extreme...

Any help would be great.
Ive been looking for a tab of it can't find one.
sorry not sure how to read this...

Phrygian
|R|o|-|o|
|o|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|
|o|-|R|o|
|o|-|o|o|
|R|o|-|o|
Start a harmonic minor scale, but on the fifth note

Take A harmonic minor

A B C D E F G# A

Now start on the fifth

E F G# A B C D E

that's the scale.
Last edited by NoOne0507 at Aug 10, 2008,
I dont know how to read this

|R|o|-|o|
|o|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|
|o|-|R|o|
|o|-|o|o|
|R|o|-|-|o|

is there anyway you could explain it or break it down another way?
In tabs

El-------------------------
Bl-------------------------
Gl------------------------
Dl----------------------5-7-
Al--------------5-7-8-------
El------5-6-9----------------

A Phrygian Dom scale
aww thanks this is amazing your the best thanks so much.

your a life saver
if you want it in theory terms-
its basically a phrygian scale with a raised 3rd. Just like an aeolian dominant is an aeolian scale with a raised 3rd.
Quote by Darkice
I would really like to learn this mode or scale It has a very true sound I love, I have no way of getting anyone in real life to teach me, I know there most be something on the web to help break it down nice and slow as my speed is not extreme...

Any help would be great.
Ive been looking for a tab of it can't find one.
sorry not sure how to read this...

Phrygian
|R|o|-|o|
|o|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|
|o|-|R|o|
|o|-|o|o|
|R|o|-|o|
Box shapes arent really that important, so dont sweat. If you feel your ready for modes, than you probably dont need box shapes, and if your up to modes of the harmonic minor scale, than I would think you've memorise the scale formulas of the major scale mode. Just remember that it's a regular phrygian mode with a major third, so thats T, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8ve.

If you want to get that true phrygian dominant sound, use the usual generic phrygian progression (iii-IV-V) but use all major chords, so it looks like this: III IV V. Yes, I know the V chord is out of key, but I've never seen it done any other way.

Other ways to sort of get the phrygian dominant sound is to use it over dominant chords (say C phrygian dominant over a C7), preferably ones that are just after or before a minor chord thats 5 semitones away (say Fm is 5 semitones from C7).
demonofthenight hey thanks The was the kind of break down I meant you rock man, what other mode would blend well with this, I was thinking a Dorian or a Lydian
phrygian dominant = fifth mode of the harmonic minor
1 - b2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - b7 - 1
Quote by Darkice
demonofthenight hey thanks The was the kind of break down I meant you rock man, what other mode would blend well with this, I was thinking a Dorian or a Lydian

No offense, but you really don't sound like you're ready to be worrying about modes. I strongly suggest you focus on learning the theory behind the major scale.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Darkice
I'm sorry I sort of dont understand...
I'll try anyway though.

A dorian progression is usually a ii-V7 sort of thing, maybe with an iii chord thrown in somewhere. I dont really know any lydian progressions, sorry.

The nifty thing about improvising with dorian is that you can do it over almost any minor chord and it will still sound pretty good. I wouldnt be suprised if people like Miles Davis spent whole songs using nothing but dorian over all his minor chords.

Lydian is usually played over major seventh chords or major seventh add #11 chords (thats a 1 3 5 7 #11 sort of thing) chords. It usually doesnt matter what the chord your playing over is functioning as (when your using lydian).
Archeo Avis non taken As I have had no real training or lessons in any form of music, I just heard this played asked what is was and came here for a little more help on how to play it though Now I pretty much got it with your guys help and my friend who showed it to me.