I play in a hardcore band and i'm not too pumped on the sound i'm getting out of my set-up.

My Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Mesa 4x12

I realize the guitar isn't that great.

I'm not quite sure what's inside of the mesa, i'm assuming v30's, but I'm not positive, I bought it used for 400. The 5150 belonged to a band that went on tour with AFI twice and the tubes have never been replaced... I also bought it used for 400.

I realize I probably should replace the tubes ASAP but money is low with college coming up.

Which upgrade would greater improve my sound?
A new guitar all together (I've always been confused on this sadly, parden the newbieness. How much do guitars effect tone, I know pick-ups make a difference, but if one compares a Gibson SG and an Epiphone SG that's like 400 dollars cheaper but they have the same pick-ups, what exactly is the tone quality difference?),

New pick-ups (I have the humbuckers that came stock),

or Replace the tubes in the 5150. (The big question is what tubes do I buy? I've heard a few names, but do I buy the same tube for every slot? Or do I mix it up?)

I'm pretty lost on this, I've done research for a while, but I think I need to just ask and let you guys help me out on this one.

thanks in advance.
Guitars affect the tone quite a bit!

The pickups will definitely make a bigger difference than new tubes.
You already have a good amp, and you dont need new tubes right away unless the amp is dying.

And the guitar isnt that bad, the worst part about epiphones is the pickups.

What kind of music are you looking to play?

You could get these pickups:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

Or these

For neck
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP151-PAF-Pro-Pickup?sku=302040

And for Bridge
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Tone-Zone-Pickup?sku=302430

The Dimarzios are really good
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
When I changed the pups on my g400 to SD 59s it was like lifting a blanket off the guitar. The sound was so much clearer a reasonable guitar was turned into a very good one.
good to know. thanks for the replies.

yeah I play mostly melodic hardcore, influenced by american nightmare etc.

but it'd be nice to not be a one trick pony if/when i decide to branch out into other genres.

so new pickups it is. any more recommendations to fit the genre i'm playing? i have about 200 bucks that's free to spend right now, though i could scrounge a little more if i needed to.

thanks again, it's nice to be helped out. haha
Look at Dimarzios.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Dimarzios it is.

i looked around online and i'll probably be getting what was recommended in like the second reply

the DiMarzio DP151 PAF Pro for the neck.

and the DiMarzio Tone Zone for the bridge

any other suggestions?
Haven't tried the Tone Zone, but the PAF Pro is great, especially for leads.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
The tone zone is not your basic high output pickup, it is also good for cleans, so those wont be sacrificed, and the paf pro is amazing.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
umm, seriously? if the tubes have never been replaced after 2 tours, and you don't know when they were replaced before that, definitely swap out the tubes. all 3 amps in my sig were used when i got them, and the first thing i did was have the tubes replaced. i think epiphones sound just dandy, and it sucks to have an amp die in the middle of a show. just my opinion...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by alkeyboy
I play in a hardcore band and i'm not too pumped on the sound i'm getting out of my set-up.

My Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Mesa 4x12

I realize the guitar isn't that great.

I'm not quite sure what's inside of the mesa, i'm assuming v30's, but I'm not positive, I bought it used for 400. The 5150 belonged to a band that went on tour with AFI twice and the tubes have never been replaced... I also bought it used for 400.

I realize I probably should replace the tubes ASAP but money is low with college coming up.

Which upgrade would greater improve my sound?
A new guitar all together (I've always been confused on this sadly, parden the newbieness. How much do guitars effect tone, I know pick-ups make a difference, but if one compares a Gibson SG and an Epiphone SG that's like 400 dollars cheaper but they have the same pick-ups, what exactly is the tone quality difference?),

New pick-ups (I have the humbuckers that came stock),

or Replace the tubes in the 5150. (The big question is what tubes do I buy? I've heard a few names, but do I buy the same tube for every slot? Or do I mix it up?)

I'm pretty lost on this, I've done research for a while, but I think I need to just ask and let you guys help me out on this one.

thanks in advance.

What type of hardcore? 6505 is a staple for hardcore music, on the punky side and metal side. I'd suggest new pickups in your guitar, such as a dimarzio breed or an EMG depending on what you want. If you get new tubes, I suggest TAD 6L6s and chinese 12ax7s from www.thetubestore.com