Im not happy with the overdrive channel on my supersonic, while i can get an alright tone out of it at low volumes, when i run it wide open it sounds so ice-picky and sharp, and it gets very sterile and buzzy.

Im looking to trade it in to get money back, and hopefully get a better amp.

I was looking at these amps, as i dont have any money besides what i would get for selling the fender.

so all used

Mesa F-30
Mesa Mark IV
Peavey XXX 40w

Im looking to get something with a good overdrive/lead channel that can do Satriani/ Petrucci tones.

The clean channel i would just want a basic straight clean tone, almost to sound processed(JC120), i like that
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I just hope i can find one used in my area, anyone know any other sites for used gear other than ebay and craigslist?
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
mark iv out of there, but on ebay they seem to be at least 1200 for the head (by the time an auction ends). i'd check out the DC series, since it's basically a 2 channel mark with the ability to get Recto heavy if you should every need that. it's got great articulation too, so solos should be well pronounced. They also go between 5 and 8 hundred for a head, or you could get the combo for around 6 - 9 (either the 50 or 100 watt version; the 35 watt version's like 100 less than for both combo and head).
Quote by RG_FANMAN
mark iv out of there, but on ebay they seem to be at least 1200 for the head (by the time an auction ends). i'd check out the DC series, since it's basically a 2 channel mark with the ability to get Recto heavy if you should every need that. it's got great articulation too, so solos should be well pronounced. They also go between 5 and 8 hundred for a head, or you could get the combo for around 6 - 9 (either the 50 or 100 watt version; the 35 watt version's like 100 less than for both combo and head).

Im looking at the 35 watt version, do you have a link on mesa's website of the dc-5?, i cant find it
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
it's a discontinued amp sadly. try on their manual section, and you can view the manual in PDF format if that helps any. the DC series is really great and will do what you're looking for.
I just found the manual and found a 50 watt DC-5 on craigslist for 750!

Now i have to convine my parents that i can sell my amp.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
that's a nice price! that's basically what i got mine for (720, including shipping). I think (especially with your guitars) you'll have no trouble whatsoever nailing petrucci's sound, and you'll get to satch's pretty easily too. although i can't stress it enough, READ the manual; the mid acts a secondary gain control on BOTH channels, which i never realized until i read the damn thing; i usually had my mids up really high, but was suprised why my sound was still kind gainy without the gain up super high. Rolled it down to like 5, and it was bliss!
Yeah i read the manual and saw that, hopefully i can get my hands on it!!!

How loud is yours?

What volume do you put it on when playing with a band and unmiced drums?
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
i actually got to play the DC-3 in guitar center, on 10. It drowned out the entire store. On 3 it was pretty kick ass, and could probably keep up with another guitar and a bass, on like 5 or 6 i'd say to keep up with a loud un-mic'd drummer. On like 6 or 7 it filled up the store, so it's quite loud.

My DC-5 was able to drown out guitar center on 2.5 O_O The only bad part about that is that it's deafening to stand in front of a cab like that (i was like 5 feet away though). I haven't gotten play in band situation though.

EDIT: Wow, i read well; i forgot you found a DC-5, so i guess ignore the comments about the DC-3; or you could use it to gauge how it would keep up with a drummer relative to the DC-5 (it definitely will, and you'll probably drown him out ^_^ )
i also forgot to mention i practice with it on 1, and you could probably jam with another guitarist on 1, possibly a bass too.
Well i got an email back from the guy and he is interested in a trade, so hopefully it will just be a meet up, exchange amps, and drive away ..
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
nice! hope it goes well.

btw, if you do wind up getting it, would you mind telling me how the PAF Pro's in your Jem, along with the Steve's Special and Air Norton interact with the amp? They're actually some of the pickups I was thinking of putting in my Schecter and RG. ^_^