In like 2 weeks Im going to the US for college and I've saved some money to buy a guitar and amp as soon as I get there. My budget is about 1600 dollar. Maybe more, maybe less. Im playing most kinds of music every now and then but my main priority is to get a sound like Iron Maiden and Metallica, since they're my favourite bands. In other words. I want a guitar and amp that can handle Iron Maiden and Metallica really good but also be able to get a decent sound if I want to play something else.

The questions.

1. Is guitar gear cheaper on the internet in the US than in the stores? Should I buy from a guitar store or from the internet to get the best bang for the buck?

2. a. What guitar would suit my needs? Complete names or links are appreciated.

b. What Pick-ups would suit my need if the guitar doesn't have the "right" PU's?

3. What amp should I look at? I'll live in a college dorm so I'm not sure if I could get a 100w amp but I want it to be as good as possible for my kind of music. Preferrably with a headphone jack so i can play with headphones.

4. Anything else I should add to get a similar sound to Maiden and Metallica. Pedals? Effects etc?

5. What would be the best way to spend the money? more on amp or guitar? Like 1000$ amp, 600$ guitar?

What Im looking for is serious answers that'll combine the best possible setup for my budget.

PS. I won't bother buying used, so please don't give links to Ebay and so on.

Thanks in advance. I know you can do it UG
Buy a sheep. Rape it. Just kidding

1). Internet is cheaper, but I recommend a store
2). That's up to you, it depends on what feels good in your hands
3). Fender amps are pretty good, they have really good cleans
4). Distortion pedal
5). As I said in 2)., depends on what guitar you want
I suggest a Jackson RR3 (about $750), I own one and it's awesome for metal but even for anything else. Then you have other $850 to spend for an amp, but I don't know amps in this price range very well so I can't suggest one. But remember: most of the sound is made by amp, so is better to have a crap guitar and a good amp than a good guitar and a crap amp. A Squier will sound good on a great amp, but a Les Paul won't sound good on a Squier amp.
Quote by geluidsterroris
Buy a sheep. Rape it. Just kidding

1). Internet is cheaper, but I recommend a store
2). That's up to you, it depends on what feels good in your hands
3). Fender amps are pretty good, they have really good cleans
4). Distortion pedal
5). As I said in 2)., depends on what guitar you want

ok, thanks for the answer. But as I said I was only asking for what guitar + amp that will handle the sound Im looking for. Obviously, I will have to try them out when I've narrowed down the path to like 3-5 guitars. As I've only been playing my Ibanez RG321 (which I love) for two years, Im not really into what guitar is recommended for what sound.
Maybe Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 for an amp? Two channels, each has a switch to shape the sound even more, separate EQs, pulls off everything from blues to metal. But I don't know how much is it :| I think that circa 1000 bucks, you'd have 600 dollars left for a decent guitar with humbuckers.
Last edited by zombiak at Aug 10, 2008,
Used 5150/6505

A higher end Jackson/Charvel or ESP
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
I looked at the a Charvel. They look awesome! Just like a metal version of a Stratocaster. I didn't find any of them at any internet store though. Where can I buy them and how much are they?
Ok, I've done some researching and I've found these guitars. Are they any good and will they handle my kind of music?

Schechter Hellraiser C-1 FR
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-C-1-Hellraiser-FR-Electric-Guitar-513134-i1176872.gc

Ibanez RG2550Z Prestige Series
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Prestige-Series-RG2550Z-Electric-Guitar-515738-i1387319.gc

Jackson DK2M Dinky
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-103814281-i1167493.gc

One of the 3 Charvel models. Scroll down and you'll see them for 999$.
http://www.charvel.com/

Replies would be good if these are known as good and feel free to add whatever guitar you might want. They are in about the same price range so that'll leave me with about 600-800$ for the amp. Is that a reasonable balance? Recommendations on amps + guitars would be awesome since I have no idea on what amp to buy.
well i myself would definetely get the charvel, but ifo iron maiden and metallica, i would think the hellraiser. the most versatile ones there would be the jackson and ibanez, so you'll be best of with either one of those(i myself out of those two would get the jackson). the charvel just isnt as much for metal, but u could put an EMG in the bridge and u would be all set. really, those are all great guitars.
and maybe you could get this for ur amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120DHS-120W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-with-4x12-Cabinet?sku=481269
Im sure that amp is good but do I really need a 120W amp for my college dorm? That's sounds like I won't be able to turn the volume knob up to more than 1/8 or something.
^ If you are only going to be using the amp in your dorm, I recommend going solid state. A tube amp is just going to be too loud. Sure you can play them quietly, but it's likely going to sound pretty "meh".

I would get a small amp (like a microcube or something) and put a large chunk of that money away so if once you get to college you find people to jam with, you have money to buy an appropriate amp.
Quote by zombiak
Maybe Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 for an amp? Two channels, each has a switch to shape the sound even more, separate EQs, pulls off everything from blues to metal. But I don't know how much is it :| I think that circa 1000 bucks, you'd have 600 dollars left for a decent guitar with humbuckers.

terrible amp, makes me wanna kill babies
Quote by T!AN
^ If you are only going to be using the amp in your dorm, I recommend going solid state. A tube amp is just going to be too loud. Sure you can play them quietly, but it's likely going to sound pretty "meh".

I would get a small amp (like a microcube or something) and put a large chunk of that money away so if once you get to college you find people to jam with, you have money to buy an appropriate amp.

+1
Quote by T!AN

What do you mean If I get to college? Im GOING to college and I'll be living in a dorm. Now I don't know what it's like to live in a dorm but is it really that bad, that I can only use a Microcube?
I meant if you find people to jam with outside of your dorm, then buy a bigger amp.

And dorms are all different, so your's may put up with noise well, but most of the dorms I've stayed in sound like they have paper thin walls.
I have to agree with the microcube then later upgrade idea. Or perhaps a Line6 toneport then play on your computer? It's like 100 some dollars and the tone is decent.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

I actually have a toneport GX on this comp. I'll bring a laptop, will that work good? I mean, will the laptop be able to handle it if it's a decent laptop? And if I'd buy one of those rather expensive guitars, would I make any difference in my sound from my current Ibanez rg321 that Im using it with? Is the toneport that good?