Long story short, I'm stuck. Writing a song for my girlfriend (*pause here for you digging at my cliched cheesiness*), and I can't work out where to go from here. I've got a verse, and some chords I'm using as a bridge or a chorus, but not sure how to piece them together!

The verse is tabbed below:

eb|-----------1------------|-------------3p1p0h1--------------------------|
Bb|----1--------1----1 --|------1-------------------------------------------|
Gb|-------2--------2------|---------2----------------------------------------|
Db|-3----------------------|---3----------------------------------------------|
Ab|-------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|
Eb|-------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|
---------Repeat X3-------------This is played on the fourth arpeggio, instead of the previous riff.

It then repeats, but using Dm instead of F. So the 3's on the Db string become 0's, 1's on the Bb string become 3's, and so on. The 3p1p0h1 riff is stil used.

The chorus/bridge thing is simply strumming the chords G, C, Dm, E7, Gm, C, Dm, A7. The A7 is let ring at the end.

The question is, where from here o theory buffs? I'm not exactly a treasure chest of musical wisdom, so if possible explain your ideas as you would to a four year old.

Huge thanks to anybody who helps me out.
well im not too big a theory buff, but i know a few things and your song seems pretty solid, and do you wanna use those chords for the bridge, the chorus, or both?

**btw kudos for writing a song for your gf! i love corny love.
Quote by ScreaminSavior
well im not too big a theory buff, but i know a few things and your song seems pretty solid, and do you wanna use those chords for the bridge, the chorus, or both?

**btw kudos for writing a song for your gf! i love corny love.

Pretty much 95% of the stuff I listen to employs power chords over a chorus, but I'm not sure that would go with the song. Open chords possibly, but I've no idea which ones to use without sounding repetetive to what I've used alrady.

And sank yo v. much.
Listen to some music.

Just wondering, is it just strummed chords and picked arpeggios or is there a singing melody or a motif-like melody or something?
Very basic stages atm. I want to get the structure of the song down, with what chords where and whatnot, then go back and change, adding in a lick or repeated riff wherever.

I have nobody to sng, so no vocal melody as of yet.
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
I have nobody to sng, so no vocal melody as of yet.
Not meaning to discourage you, but thats probably the most important part in contemporary music. Just write a simple melody (you'd be suprised at how simple the catchiest melodies are), write some corny lyrics (the worse they are, the better, trust me) and sing really badly (when you sing badly, but can play the guitar like a god, no one cares about the singing). She's not going to expect axl Rose or anything like that, just as long as you dont sound too serious about it and make her smile (how can I stress this more?).
Quote by demonofthenight
Not meaning to discourage you, but thats probably the most important part in contemporary music. Just write a simple melody (you'd be suprised at how simple the catchiest melodies are), write some corny lyrics (the worse they are, the better, trust me) and sing really badly (when you sing badly, but can play the guitar like a god, no one cares about the singing). She's not going to expect axl Rose or anything like that, just as long as you dont sound too serious about it and make her smile (how can I stress this more?).

I can't do both - and I don't mean one will sound bad, I mean I literally can only do one thing at a time. Even miming and strumming is a no go. Maybe I'm mentally rearded, I don't know.
A way to be able to do both is learn the guitar part or vocals so that you can do them in your sleep. Then it starts to fall in place.
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
I can't do both - and I don't mean one will sound bad, I mean I literally can only do one thing at a time. Even miming and strumming is a no go. Maybe I'm mentally rearded, I don't know.
Trust me, even if you sing like shit its a great skill to have. Whenever I talk to most people about whats most important about music, they'll usually say something about vocals.

Hmm, theres a thread somewhere here on it...

Singing & Playing
So you have a guitar and what you consider to be a decent voice. Now you’re asking yourself what you are going to do with these 2 things. Well, you’ve come to the right place. Here I will explain a few techniques that you can use to master singing and playing at the same time.

I am going to start with the guitar aspect of these 2 things. When singing while playing guitar, you are mostly playing chords or a simple riff. Not many people can shred guitar and sing at the same time, so don’t expect to do that. In fact, sometimes when playing live, Eric Clapton himself plays chords when he sings even though he is capable of playing anything out there.

So now you have all these chords figured out. Now the key is to be able to strum without singing first. You should figure out how the rhythm of the strumming goes along with the song. If you are doing a cover song, play with the recording. If it is an original song, then just play those chords.

Now if you have the strumming part down pat, and you can do it in your sleep, try to sing the song you are doing without playing guitar. Now same with the guitar part, if you are doing a cover song, sing along with that. If it is original, try singing it just solo. You should have the words memorized by this point. By having the words memorized, you don’t have to
really pay attention to them anymore. Also, have the dynamics of the song down if there are any. Dynamics are really what make a song all the better.

By this point, you have the guitar chords memorized, and your lyrics to the song are basically memorized. Now they don’t have to be all perfect, as you are going to sing and play some more when putting it together. So it will come all together in the end. However, it’s good to have an idea of what you are doing. Now for this part there are 2 methods that I will recommend when putting it all together.

-Method 1 - Sing through the song 1 full time, just singing, then for the second time through, play each chord once whenever it is said to be played. With doing this, you will get a feel for playing and singing at the same time. This method works mostly on the voice, but adds the chords for a good feel of the song and how it should be. Once you do this a few times, you
are likely ready to add the strumming to the mix. If you can’t get all the way through the song, then look at what you are doing wrong, and make adjustments. Whether this be just going over the chords again, or the singing. The key is to take this slow when you are just learning how to sing and play at the same time.

-Method 2 - Play the song through just strumming just the chords. Then next time through, it’s easiest to just hum the words so you get a good feel of the song and the tune. You can do this several times if needed, or just a few until you get the feel of the song. From there, you can go all out with strumming and singing.

These are only 2 methods that I find work quite well. There are obviously many more and you can mix it up to get the maximum benefit. For more experienced singers, I recommend method 1. For more experienced guitar plays, I recommend method 2.

So now that you are able to sing and strum the guitar at the same time. Congratulations on that first off. Not many people are capable of doing his. So now you wonder what you can do with this. Well you must play of course. Now here are a few bands/artists that I have picked out that are perfect for not only practicing playing and singing at the same time, but that are perfect for playing regularly.

-Coldplay
-The Beatles
-Foo Fighters
-Jack Johnson
-John Frusciante
-Oasis
-City and Colour
-Our Lady Peace
-Sam Roberts
-Matt Costa

These people are just a few of the tons of artists out there. There is no limit to what songs you can play. Often times you can play to stuff like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd if you can find the chords for it. Also, for those of you that are involved with church, there are limitless things you can do. Playing worship music is about the best way to practice singing and playing as you know how the song goes already. It’s just a matter of plugging it all in.

So look around for what style you are into, and don’t be afraid to let your voice free. That’s what this is all about. Just letting go of all your inhibitions and singing and play guitar for the joy of not only yourself, but for people around you as well. You are opening a whole new world of music to yourself so all the best with it!
Wow, thats alot of text. I might read it myself.
I sound like a crow, but I'll give it a shot. Best try my hand at writing first. Thanks for the help so far people, it's much appreciated.
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
I sound like a crow, but I'll give it a shot. Best try my hand at writing first. Thanks for the help so far people, it's much appreciated.
Hmm, maybe you should read some singing articles? Read singing sabers ones (the links are in the singing faq in this forum). I also found a couple good ones on a few torrent sites.
Quote by demonofthenight
Hmm, maybe you should read some singing articles? Read singing sabers ones (the links are in the singing faq in this forum). I also found a couple good ones on a few torrent sites.

I'm not exactly sure I canchange my voice quickly, when it hasn't finished breaking (As in sometimes whn I mean to speak normally it comes out like I'm on heliu) and I'e ever been driven to sing before. I'll take a look though.
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
I'm not exactly sure I canchange my voice quickly, when it hasn't finished breaking (As in sometimes whn I mean to speak normally it comes out like I'm on heliu) and I'e ever been driven to sing before. I'll take a look though.
Just a few tips that helped me...

Breath through your diaphram (as in breath in and out with your stomach)

Compress the air in your lungs. To do this make a "hut" sound army people do

Straighten your posture and point your nose a little higher

Sing with a corny smile. Dont ask me why that makes you sound alot better, it just does.

And let out as little amount of air, but as much noise as possible (I've actually never seen this suggested on the internet, my sis told me this one)
Yeah!

Nailed it. Used those chords in the OP as a pre-chorus, then mucked around with a D, A7 and some hillbilly hammer on shít (well, not quite, but that's the closest I can get to describe it) for a chorus. Dosen't sound terrible .

Singing however, not so well. I'd sing it to her if I thought she could understand what I was saying, but I sound like my balls are being chewed by a lion. Honestly.

Nonetheless, demonofthenight is made of win. Thanks a bundle for helping me out on this!