Hey,
well i been playing around 6 months... i can play lots of different riffs but not an entire song yet, i play atleast an hour or so a day and have been for the last few months.. i generally take around 20mins for doing practice and theory n what not. The thing is, im seeing barely ANY improvement? yeah sure i can play a few things but nothing seems to be smoother, easier or whatever... anyone got any ideas on what i can do? because im gettin my new guitar next week and hopefully getting the new guitar will help me improve but id still like some exercises or some tips or anything to help. Because i think i should be able to play a song after playing 6 months.
just stick to trying to learn a song, an easy one and then learning other songs will be easier and eventually the playing just gets smoother and you dont realise its happening until u look back and think about it therell be lots of points were no improvement seems to be happening, im in one right now because i havent had a lesson in ages coz of GCSE's, im worried ill never have the time to improve any more
just start to play some easy songs first, that makes it much more fun if you can play a whole song.

and just keep practising, it just takes some time before you know how to play some things
Just make sure you consistently practice to improve accuracy/speed and just learn more and more riffs. Also, don't be afraid to try different genres; the more you expand the more your skills will expand.
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
oh also, im not having lessons.. im teaching my self with tabs and what not... might be a lil bit of a reason why its taking me so long to improve.
keep practicing, you will get better
i been playin for 2 and a half years and i don't know that many full songs, mainly cos i find it boring playin loads of stuff other people have written, i prefer improving my technique and writing my own music,
so don't gauge your improvement on what songs or how many songs you know

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

I've been playing for about 5 years, but I never had time to improve my playing beyond just jamming along to songs for about 4 years. A year ago I formed a band and since then my playing has exploded in ability, playing gigs and writing your own material really pushes your playing and improves it very rapidly
Maybe find some people around your age and ability in your area and jam with them, then you'll all improve at a fast rate and in the future you can start gigging etc.
ohai little sig.
yeah i got a few mates who play.. one of my friends plays drums and another guitar and i might catch up with them too jam.... but still i need some improvement on my own first. Im hoping that this new guitar (being my first decent one) will inspire me to play more and will just improve my play.
Quote by braydz
Hey,
well i been playing around 6 months... i can play lots of different riffs but not an entire song yet, i play atleast an hour or so a day and have been for the last few months.. i generally take around 20mins for doing practice and theory n what not. The thing is, im seeing barely ANY improvement? yeah sure i can play a few things but nothing seems to be smoother, easier or whatever... anyone got any ideas on what i can do? because im gettin my new guitar next week and hopefully getting the new guitar will help me improve but id still like some exercises or some tips or anything to help. Because i think i should be able to play a song after playing 6 months.

It takes a long time to feel at ease with the guitar the way you're describing - it's not going to happen after just 6 months I'm afraid. Also, the more you look for improvement the less you're likely to see it. Just concentrate on learning new things, perfecting the things you already knoe and being disciplined.

There's nothing to stop you learning songs though and no reason why you can't, just don't try to do anything too hard - start with simple, chord-based songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by braydz
Hey,

I'd been playing for 2 years, i was OK for how long I'd been playing, but then I joined a band. My technique improved truckloads, it also made me obsessed with guitars, learning about them etc.... You could try joining a band/jamming with friends.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by |Matt Dolan|
I'd been playing for 2 years, i was OK for how long I'd been playing, but then I joined a band. My technique improved truckloads, it also made me obsessed with guitars, learning about them etc.... You could try joining a band/jamming with friends.

Same, except it was 3 years for me and I joined my band in december, it's a great time, so much fun. I didn't know what the notes on the fretboard where, and I pushed myself to learn because I needed to be able to communicate with my horn players, I learn how to play completely with tabs, never taken a lesson in my life...although I'm hoping to soon because I feel like I've hit a wall.

So my recommendation would be find some kids to jam with, maybe take a few lessons. Have fun with it..please.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
i shall thanks
im looking to just perfect what i know at the moment.. learn more ****.. and jam with mates.
I agree with two other responders, whole heartedly.

1. Practice with another genre or style, such as messing around with a blues scale or something.
2. I've heard... and learned... that it is TRUE... if you put the guitar down for a little bit, take a break for a couple of days or even longer, when you pick it back up... lots of people including me cite major improvements just by taking a break from it. I saw a thread the other day where someone was amazed that after a good night rest, their guitar skills improved all by themselves. I don't know, its something to try, if you want.

Good luck with the new guitar!
well you could try to learn scales and such
and create some original stuff instead of cover songs
try to master techniques..like if you wanna learn sweeps for example..just practice practice till you get it PERFECTT.. then move on to another