Poll: which one would be better?
Poll Options
View poll results: which one would be better?
Cort M600
15 43%
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
20 57%
Voters: 35.
i've been looking at two guitars under the same price range..
the cort M600 has a coil tap to have a single coil sound from the humbuckers..
http://www.everymusicph.com/shop/step1.php?number=937
the epi standard LP looks pretty decent too, i like how the LP looks like but i also like the sound of single coils..
http://www.everymusicph.com/shop/step1.php?number=794

so can you guys give me an insight on which one is better? or the pros and cons of each?.. faster neck?.. better sound quality?.. better build?..
thanks ya'll.. keep rockin!
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Play them both...then you decide
/thread
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
I own a Cort M600 and my friend has a Epi standard LP.

I like my Cort better, especially the neck - the higher frets are really easier (and very easy) to access..
Build quality is somewhat the same. The Cort does benefit a lot from some little improvements (most notably better tuners, second better pick-ups - mine has mighty mights), wood and finish are excellent.
Another thing i don't like on the Epi LP is the bridge - doesn't feel good - but that is personal taste i guess.

Try them both and see for yourself

reg,
crush
crush23, good review thanks.. really helped me a lot.. i was really thinking about the cort.. are the tuners that bad?.. and the pickups?.. by the way, some say the m600 has crappy electronics.. what can you say? is it true?.. has the electronics failed on your cort?..

-GuitarHero-, sorry but those two guitars are pre-order items here in the philippines.. i have to give a downpayment of 50% for them to order it outside the country.. so i can't pssibly try them out at the same time.. that's why i reviews from users and owners would be really appreciated.. nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion man..

thanks for the replies.. keep it coming..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
1) Well pick ups aren't bad. They lack a bit of punch (especially when PM metal riffs). Other than then that they are cool.
2) The tuners are quite bad, yeah.. well if u need a practice guitar they'll do the job. (i still didn't change mine.. 5 years old guitar )
3) As for the electronics: nothing failed yet.

reg,
crush

ps: as for the coil tap function - i really didn't find a good use of it. maybe it's my amp, maybe the pickups (maybe even my crappy ears) but the guitar sounds really bad with it.
i find the Epiphone to be better, but that's just my opinion.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
question, what has the epiphone standard LP got that would blow away the cort m600?.. aren't epiphones usually built in china htese days?.. whereas the cort is in indonesia.. are china made guitars more reliable than indonesian?
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
anyone care to reply?..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by crush23

ps: as for the coil tap function - i really didn't find a good use of it. maybe it's my amp, maybe the pickups (maybe even my crappy ears) but the guitar sounds really bad with it.

what's your amp by the way?.. solid state? tube? wattage?..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I have a '05 version of the M600 and that's MIK, not MII. I don't know where they're made these days, but Korean guitars are pretty decent (Ibanez S Prestige were built in Korea a few years ago, at the Cort plant)...

Mine had pretty rock solid tuners that would not go out of tune for ages. I still swapped them for Sperzel locking ones, though. The electronics work pretty well, but I can't say I've used the coil splitter much. It doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. The neck is way nicer than any Epi solidbody I've ever tried, and it'll really fly if you rub some steel wool on the back of the neck. The pickups are decent, better than those on an Epi LP, but they could still use a little bit of definition.
Quote by Pikka Bird
I have a '05 version of the M600 and that's MIK, not MII. I don't know where they're made these days, but Korean guitars are pretty decent (Ibanez S Prestige were built in Korea a few years ago, at the Cort plant)...

Mine had pretty rock solid tuners that would not go out of tune for ages. I still swapped them for Sperzel locking ones, though. The electronics work pretty well, but I can't say I've used the coil splitter much. It doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. The neck is way nicer than any Epi solidbody I've ever tried, and it'll really fly if you rub some steel wool on the back of the neck. The pickups are decent, better than those on an Epi LP, but they could still use a little bit of definition.

thanks for the review man.. appreciated it.. i think they're made in indonesia these days, also ibanez.. hmm.. you said that the coil tap doesn't make much difference in the sound?.. why?.. isn't the coil-tap function supposed to somewhat produce a 'single-coil' sound from the humbucker?..
coz i'm really looking for a guitar with both humbuckers but could also produce somewhat 'acoustic' sounds.. but i don't want it to have a strat or superstrat body..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
anyone please reply.. i need comments and suggestions.. thanks..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
well as far as i know cort M600 is often referred to as the poorman's PRS,
which means that it is a decent gear for anyone who is looking for PRS but doesnt have the enough dough
I used to have one, and it's fairly decent indeed... I'd definitely recommend it over Epi standard. and if im not mistaken, cort has a slightly better quality control than epi

the only reason why epi is winning in the poll (well it's out of 20 so it's not even that significant) is because a lot of epi fans dont even know cort
I own an Epi LP and I'd take the Cort. I haven't played an M600 but I've played various other Corts and Ibanezs made at the Cort plant.
Quote by deltacross
thanks for the review man.. appreciated it.. i think they're made in indonesia these days...
Yeah, apparently that's true. I just looked it up on their own forum and it looks like they moved the M600s to Indonesia as of 2007.

...you said that the coil tap doesn't make much difference in the sound?.. why?.. isn't the coil-tap function supposed to somewhat produce a 'single-coil' sound from the humbucker?..
coz i'm really looking for a guitar with both humbuckers but could also produce somewhat 'acoustic' sounds.. but i don't want it to have a strat or superstrat body..

I just re-checked it. Apparently it DOES make quite a nice difference. I think it's because of the amp I first tried it out on. Apparently it was quite ****ty, but even with my Cube 60 it's quite nice. Of course it doesn't give you a Strat or Tele at the flick of a switch, but it does actually sound really good for chording.
yeah, the coil tap won't really give you the stinging single sound from the bucker,
but otherwise it does sound different with the coil tap and it'll most likely get the job done

and it's certainly better to have a choice to switch than to not, right?
cort makes decent guitars IMO... just not as famous as epiphone
IMHO M600 blows Epi standard LP out of da water. its built really well and PERSONALLY I like the looks and the feel...... never really used the coil tap though, but i think it's alright
wow.. thanks guys.. your reviews really helped me a lot.. everytime i look at the pic of the m600, i can't help but be amazed.. i want to buy one soon.. thanks for the reviews.. now i know what to buy..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Well I bought my epi used, but it sure is a nice guitar! I would not order it online though because I've played epi's that are complete crap and epi's that are really nice, I suppose I got lucky with mine. The fretboard is super easy to play on, I would reccomend it as long as you try before you buy.
Quote by Khit
Well I bought my epi used, but it sure is a nice guitar! I would not order it online though because I've played epi's that are complete crap and epi's that are really nice, I suppose I got lucky with mine. The fretboard is super easy to play on, I would reccomend it as long as you try before you buy.

thanks man..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R