My band just bough a microphone for 60$ and it works well, now we need a recording program, so far we've been using audacity which works quite well but I've heard alot of people taalking about cubase, which is better? Audacity or Cubase?

is there a place to download cubase full version for free?

thanks in advance
There's no contest.

I mean, I LOVE audacity to pieces, but it's no cubase... cubase is far better software, far more flexible, it can do so much more than just recorded sound etc etc... but it DOES come with a price...

...there is nowhere you can get cubase for free, legally, as far as I am aware. I don't reccomend it, as you can never tell what you're really being sent, but a little bit of googling might be able to get you a free download - but I doubt that would be legal, at all.

But if you can, go for cubase, it's much more proffessional.

Rob
yes...no program can compare to cubase that is downloadable such as audicity....but if you have the money pick up protools its very expensive but its the best thing ever...its what they use in many pro recording studios..and it costs about $1000 depends where you buy but you will not be disappointed
Quote by decadencetorn
yes...no program can compare to cubase that is downloadable such as audicity....but if you have the money pick up protools its very expensive but its the best thing ever...its what they use in many pro recording studios..and it costs about $1000 depends where you buy but you will not be disappointed

for that price u could buy a 2nd hand mac and then add logic express with it. i love that program, easy and full of features
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe
LTD EX-400BD
LTD EC-1000
LTD V-500
Zoom 707II Pedal
Vox Satchurator Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Slash
Marshall MG100DFX...
Cubase is also about $1000. I guarantee anywhere you'd d/l it for free from would be illegal.

I'll also pretty much guarantee that if you use a cracked version that you will have stability issues. They are well-known to crash pretty regularly.

I remember as soon as the Cubase forum (www.cubase.net) went to a legit-user only format (USB serial must be logged) the number of people moaning about crashes, reliability, bugs, etc. went down by about 80%.

Having used both Cubase and ProTools, I would choose Cubase, myself. Audio-wise, it does everything I've ever seen ProTools do. The manipulation of audio in Cubase 4 has just surpassed ProTools. (you can adjust the tempo of audio just as easily as changing the tempo of a midi track; you can transpose audio on the fly (though that feature is a bit buggy still). All that, and you also get VST instruments (Halion is a really good sample player with some really good samples), and way superior midi implementation to PT.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 10, 2008,
Some interfaces come with cubase software. I bought a Presonus Inspire 1394 for $150 and it came with cubase LE. Aside from Vst plugins and midi drum editor it was the same as cubase SX which I already own and use. I bet there are more differences than that but Im not sure what they are.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by thedefrockednun
thanks guys, I can't afford cubase lol, I'll just stick to audacity until we hit the studios!

Dude - you'll be fine with Audacity anyway, it's just that Cubase has a load of extra features. It's still better, but Audacity is probably the best free software out there.

PM me and let me know how the recordings turn out will you?
I've not used Audacity myself for a long while...

Rob
For audio, I find that Cubase isn't too good but it is good for it's midi.

If you're just going to record audio, then I suggest REAPER ($50 for a non-commercial license, $200 commercial) or Pro Tools (from £200, about $400 i believe and it comes with a M-Box). They both have midi functions but not as advanced as Cubase.
Just curious.... what is it that you don't like about Cubase for audio?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I just find the interface a pain when mixing a song. I can't remember the exact issues I had with the program as I haven't used it in months.

It's not so much that the program's bad I suppose, just that it doesn't suit my style.

From what I've heard, no one else I know likes using Cubase for songs unless they're using midi in the song.

Also, the plug-ins that come with the program (yes, I know you can get better ones ) aren't any good.
What are you plugging the mic into?

The line-in on your sound card?

And are you just using the mic for the whole band, putting in the center of the room?

If so, you should upgrade your hardware before you worry about what software you have, because at that quality it isn't going to make much of a difference. (I'm not trying to say that in a negative or insulting way, I'm just trying to let you know that whether you're using Cubase or Audacity won't matter when everything is on one track through one mic.)

Or, are you micing each instrument individually? That would yield MUCH better results, because besides having the mic up close to the source, you could control each instrument with a different channel. It's still going through your stock sound card, but at least then you would have some control.
@weenie - I beg to differ on all counts. That's just my personal opinion, though, based on using it for the last 10-ish years. (ver 3.6, ver 5, SX SX2, C4....)

CT

Quote by KetchupLad14
And are you just using the mic for the whole band, putting in the center of the room?

Damn, I remember the days when we would put a swap-meet quality boom-box in the middle of our rehearsal basement and press RECORD!

We had to tape a cotton ball to the mic slit on the front panel to cut down on the distortion...

Anyway, I just started using Cubase 4LE and I dig it. Sonically, it sounds great. Anything as complex as digital recording shouldn't be easy. When I first opened Cubase my head was spinning. I thought I would never get it.

Check the song in my profile. Took me 5 days from the date I first opened Cubase to get to that point.
Hooray! Another old guy!

I find when I'm walking with my cane, my hip really starts to ache - especially if it's going to rain. Anyone else here find that?

Nice recording, btw. Good tones and what-not. Of course, your sound quality doesn't have much to do with which software platform you use as much as it does a host of other things. You're going in the right direction to be sure.

I'd like to hear a lot less processing on the vocals, and maybe bump them down a bit. You want them to sit on top of the mix, yes, but they're really dominant as it is.

CT

CT

Quote by sabbathu
Damn, I remember the days when we would put a swap-meet quality boom-box in the middle of our rehearsal basement and press RECORD!

LOL. It's funny because I've done that before. The cotton ball idea is genius too. To minimize distortion, we put our tape deck in the hallway and opened the door we were playing in.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by axemanchris
Hooray! Another old guy!

I find when I'm walking with my cane, my hip really starts to ache - especially if it's going to rain. Anyone else here find that?

Yeah, headbanging now makes my dentures fall out!

Quote by axemanchris
I'd like to hear a lot less processing on the vocals, and maybe bump them down a bit. You want them to sit on top of the mix, yes, but they're really dominant as it is.

CT

CT

Thanks, man.... Working on it!