I play electric guitar, but I really want an acoustic. I'm not thinking of making acoustic my main instrument, but it's a nice thing to have and its better for playing songs designed for acoustic. I'm not looking for something absolutely great, but I don't want rubbish. Anyone suggest a decent acoustic that I can get for about £100 or less? That's about $180-200 I think.
Look into Yamaha and Fender, they make nice cheap acoustics. I wouldn't worry about the model, there's very little to distinguish between them and they are all pretty much good. Trying out an acoustic in the shop is very important as well mate.
Fender is just okay. I wouldn't pick fender over yamaha though. If you can dish out another 100 you can get a solid top guitar.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
The UK market is totally different to the US market as is the Aust. market where I live. Models and prices are just not comparable. Look at Yamaha in your price range and you won't go too far wrong, or just try a few guitars out and buy the one you like within your UK price range.
Check out the under $300 thread. Those guitars are what you want to try if you want a cheap good quality guitar.

I know you aren't in America, so the $3oo pricetag won't apply to you, but the guitars in there are the best you can get for cheap.

Pretty much anything below those prices will be garbage.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
yamaha fg700s .. solid spruce top $200
epiphone aj200 .. solid spruce top $200
take it easy man .. its just a thread
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-?sku=512366 <this one is a bit out of your price range but seagulls are great for a low-midrange priced guitar.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FS700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
Check out the under $300 thread. Those guitars are what you want to try if you want a cheap good quality guitar.

+1
The brands sold in different counties are different. Never seen a Seagull in Aust. but there are lots of Matons which you won't see in the US, Probably a similar situation in the UK.
Yamaha though are everywhere. $ for $, Washburn and Fender in the under $300 price range are crap anywhere [made in China], regardless which country you by them in.
Yamaha are consistently well made and good value, regardless of where you buy them.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 11, 2008,
Quote by Akabilk
The brands sold in different counties are different. Never seen a Seagull in Aust. but there are lots of Matons which you won't see in the US, Probably a similar situation in the UK.
Yamaha though are everywhere. $ for $, Washburn and Fender in the under $300 price range are crap anywhere [made in China], regardless which country you by them in.
Yamaha are consistently well made and good value, regardless of where you buy them.

Guess again. It pays to do your research before posting. Below is a link to the main Maton site, which lists no less than 8 US based Maton distributors. Pretty much any guitar can be had in any major country these days. How hard/easy they are to purchase and ship is a different story. If he wanted to buy a Seagull in the UK, there's ways of making that happen. Australia may be the exception to the rule since your way on the opposite side of the planet, but if you're diligent enough, you can make it happen. When in doubt, always start at the mfr. list of dealers and go from there.

http://www.maton.com.au/about-us/distributors.html
Last edited by LeftyDave at Aug 11, 2008,
Quote by LeftyDave
Guess again. It pays to do your research before posting. Below is a link to the main Maton site, which lists no less than 8 US based Maton distributors. Pretty much any guitar can be had in any major country these days. How hard/easy they are to purchase and ship is a different story. If he wanted to buy a Seagull in the UK, there's ways of making that happen. Australia may be the exception to the rule since your way on the opposite side of the planet, but if you're diligent enough, you can make it happen. When in doubt, always start at the mfr. list of dealers and go from there.

http://www.maton.com.au/about-us/distributors.html

I was talking about what the average guitar store stocks in different countries. Blind Freddy knows that if you really want somthing you can get it. My local guitar store doesn't sell Martins, Guilds or Taylors [or Seegulls], but I also know if I really want one they can get me any model. There not there in the shop to try out though are they? A lot of people don't like to commit themselves to a guitar they can't try out first.
I got a Yamaha F335 for 130 bucks. It's a great instrument and it's not too expensive
Is the acoustic headbanger.