I’ve recently been getting rid of all my old gear, leaving me with two amps and an American Deluxe Strat. My primary interests are funk, rock and blues which the strat is excellent for, but it’s not so great for studying artists like Satriani and Vai of which I’d really like to explore more of.

I’ve heard good things about the Ibanez RG1570 (btw, is it a Prestige model?) and it’s not too pricy and has an Edge Pro, rather than one of the more nuisance versions I keep hearing people moan about.

The only problem is, seeing as I’ve got rid of all my other gear, I’d also need this guitar to act as a backup for gigs and such, where I play primarily funk related things. Would the RG1570 hold up in that environment?

Also, how hard is it to figure out Edge Pro trems? Will it be giving me crap loads of grief or is it a relatively simple task once you know what you’re doing?
It is a prestige. I don't know how well it would hold up to funk, but it does have a single coil in the middle. Edge Pros are basically Floyd Roses. If you know how to set it up, then you're fine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
edge pros and original edges are as good as it gets lockng bridge wise. also rgs are typically alder/basswood/mahogany so make sure ur getting the right tone wood. make sure uve got the right pickups for the job too.
Seriously I´d recommend you a Godin Freeway Floyd. It´s one of the versatilest guitars all around, and it´s build quality is much better than the RG1570. You should give it a try.

And now to the topic: The RG can be very versatile, but it needs a pickup swap. I´d recomment to put some Dimarzios in it, or some Seymours if you´re on a budget. I´m not that much a fan of Edges, I´d recomment a Schaller OFR myself.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Quote by Tomaz24
I’ve recently been getting rid of all my old gear, leaving me with two amps and an American Deluxe Strat. My primary interests are funk, rock and blues which the strat is excellent for, but it’s not so great for studying artists like Satriani and Vai of which I’d really like to explore more of.

I’ve heard good things about the Ibanez RG1570 (btw, is it a Prestige model?) and it’s not too pricy and has an Edge Pro, rather than one of the more nuisance versions I keep hearing people moan about.

The only problem is, seeing as I’ve got rid of all my other gear, I’d also need this guitar to act as a backup for gigs and such, where I play primarily funk related things. Would the RG1570 hold up in that environment?

Also, how hard is it to figure out Edge Pro trems? Will it be giving me crap loads of grief or is it a relatively simple task once you know what you’re doing?

1) The RG1570 is a Prestige model, therefore is made in Japan, comes with a hardcase and is equipped with an Edge Pro tremolo system. If you wish to read up on Ibanez tremolos, click here. But to put it simply, the Edge Pro is pretty good.

2) Personally, I find RG's incredibly versatile and with an HSH combo, you can pull loads of tones out of the guitars. Depending on your amp, I bet you could coax a funk tone out of the RG. However, if you're unsure, I would recommend trying out this guitar in person.

3) Regarding floating trems, the Edge Pro is very simple to use and once you get the idea of the trem is floating due to the tension caused by the strings and springs (at the back), it gets really simple. If you're unsure, there are millions of guides on how to set up your trem such as IbanezRules! Tech Guide.
^ agreed. the 1570 could use a pickup swap, to maximise the versatility and quality of tone.

my only concern is, i'm not sure i'd want to gig a locking trem guitar without a backup- if you break a string, things could get kinda hairy. maybe i just suck at restringing though (and to be honest, i wouldn't want to gig any guitar without a backup, i'm super-cautious ).

that godin is probably worth a look too, i'm not sure how good their floyds are (but they're nice guitars).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?