Hey all!

I've got an Ibanez RG370, which I like a lot. I've already changed the neck pickup for a DiMarzio Tone Zone. I use it to play rock and power metal and stuff. I switch to the (stock) bridge pickup for playing black metal and solos. However, I've grown tired of the sound and I want to replace it. I'm thinking about an X2N or an Evolution, or possibly a DeActivator for more diversity... I'd appreciate some advice. Other suggestions are also much appreciated.
Quote by zeemonkey
evolution=sex

Evolution=not good for metal. I'd go with a Breed instead.

I have another idea though: put the TZ in the bridge, and put your stock neck pickup back. I bet you'll be happier
Quote by which ones pink
Evolution=not good for metal. I'd go with a Breed instead.

I have another idea though: put the TZ in the bridge, and put your stock neck pickup back. I bet you'll be happier

Ya, that makes moar senses,

Or stick the TZ in the bridge and a Breed in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by zeemonkey
evolution=sex
LOL! Dragonforce plays with evolutions. I think they sound pretty metal...

Quote by which ones pink
No! I love the TZ in the neck! It's super sweet. I know it's unusual bit it gives a very nice tone imo. The X2N is supposed to be good for metal, right? And DeActivators are supposed to sound like active pickups so I guess they might be good too.

Edit: Plus, the TZ in the neck gives amazing cleans! It always makes me dream away
Last edited by MetalGrayFox at Aug 10, 2008,
Dragonfarce = Metal...lolwut?
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Benjabenja
Dragonfarce = Metal...lolwut?

+3 they're poppy hard rock with lots of wanking.
Anyway, talk to corduroyEW. he can either make you a pickup or give you a good suggestion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I do like the sound in their solos, although there's not much emotion in it. I guess evolutions are good for loud and sharp sounds and screaming harmonics but not so much for beautiful solos. Is the X2N good for both?
Quote by MetalGrayFox
LOL! Dragonforce plays with evolutions. I think they sound pretty metal...

No! I love the TZ in the neck! It's super sweet. I know it's unusual bit it gives a very nice tone imo. The X2N is supposed to be good for metal, right? And DeActivators are supposed to sound like active pickups so I guess they might be good too.

Edit: Plus, the TZ in the neck gives amazing cleans! It always makes me dream away

?
I have a Tone Zone in the bridge of my RG and it produces some of the sh1ttiest cleans imaginable
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
?
I have a Tone Zone in the bridge of my RG and it produces some of the sh1ttiest cleans imaginable

yeah. Tone Zones are bad for clean sounds. either PAF Pro or Breed.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I guess it's just a lot better that the stock pickups were :-). I think I'm gonna follow your advice and put the TZ in the bridge and buy a breed for the neck. Would that also give me nice cleans?