which should i get?
peavey classic 30
laney vc30 212
laney vc30 112

i play mainly heavy rock but i play a fair bit of blues and some metal ( metallica, pantera, machine head)

i think the best way to get the metal tone is to get a pedal or 2 which is kl with me,

i've figured its one of those 3 which i want, im gonna go and play them all but i just wanted to see what your opinion was? and also what pedal(s)

also, if you say the laney, is the 212 worth the extra money over the 112?

thanks,
the VC is iffy with metal. you'd deffo have to try it. not sure about the C30

if you get the laney get the 112

with the 212 your only really paying for more bulk and weight.....and a larger e-penis
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Where are you?

+1 for all that Stevo said.

You'll probably need an EQ and an OD for either amp.

Don't get the 212, the VC30's speaker's not the best, and if you get the 212, you'll end up buying two speakers instead of one, so 112's the way to go.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the VC is iffy with metal. you'd deffo have to try it. not sure about the C30

if you get the laney get the 112

with the 212 your only really paying for more bulk and weight.....and a larger e-penis

+1.
Although, the VC can do metal nicely. I've tried a few pedals, and an OD on the clean channel works nicely (an OD with gain turned up - not as a clean boost), although you'd need an OD with a lot gain (ie. Marshall Jackhammer, or HT-Dist ) to get a nice metal sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Get the peavey if you're in the USA. If you're in Europe, one of the laneys would be a better idea.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
it depends where you are in the world really - the laney is better value for money in some places, whereas the peavey is better value in others.

They are both pretty similar amps, from what i gather.

edit: ^ beaten to it
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
classic 30 all the way! i bought one a few months ago, and with an OD or distortion it can do metal pretty well. the only cons are the boost being not-so-great without a lot of tweaking (don't expect to just hit the switch and have the EQ be the same). it can play thrash (metallica, megadeth) just fine without any pedals, you can even get into some decent metal/hardcore crunch on the gain channel, but it has to be really cranked to get there. it's just like any other tube amp, it sounds pretty good at bedroom/practice volumes, but it really sings when cranked up.

plus, you can score a used classic 30 (at least in the states) for under $400, mine was barely $350 in mint condition. happy hunting , and hope this helps!
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
yeah, if you're in england, the vc30 is better value than the classic 30, unless you just happen to prefer the tone of the peavey.

those are all quite vintage-sounding... metal might be a problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?