Page 1 of 5
Hey all

I know I asked you all (in the now defunkt chat thread) to PM me with any suggestions for the forum to give it more of a community feel. I got some fantastic ideas and, as a result, thought that there should be a thread for people to make suggestions openly to be considered by us . Please keep this to suggestions only as well as discussion of those suggestions.

So fire away!

(and no, there will be no chat thread for the forseeable future).
Terms and Conditions apply.
I know you and Frenchy are both smart guys, but I'll take a moment to point out how ridiculous it sounds that you want to give this place more of a "community feel" and yet you removed the center of the community. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed that activity in this forum has dropped noticeably since the chat thread has been removed. Really, the only reason I come here anymore at all is the Pearl Jam thread, and even that has been degenerating.

MR Radio was a nice idea, but even that has garnered less and less interest as the weeks have gone on. So I don't see how any things like that or contests could really do anything for this place.

In fact, the only thing that I've seen maintain steady interest (outside of the chat thread) recently is George's Boot of the Week in the Pearl Jam thread. Maybe we could do an "official" one every week with a different band? That's really the only thing that I could see interesting me, at least.
Quote by rockon1824
In fact, the only thing that I've seen maintain steady interest (outside of the chat thread) recently is George's Boot of the Week in the Pearl Jam thread. Maybe we could do an "official" one every week with a different band? That's really the only thing that I could see interesting me, at least.

I like that idea.

We could also do an 'album of the week' type thing, where a user posts an album they love or enjoy and provide the means to buy said album, with links to online CD stores and such.
Yeah, I like the Album of the week thing too.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by rockon1824
I know you and Frenchy are both smart guys, but I'll take a moment to point out how ridiculous it sounds that you want to give this place more of a "community feel" and yet you removed the center of the community. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed that activity in this forum has dropped noticeably since the chat thread has been removed. Really, the only reason I come here anymore at all is the Pearl Jam thread, and even that has been degenerating.

That said. There are other people who post in the forum as opposed to the chat thread. Would it be an idea to attract the interest of those users as well?

The album of the week idea is pretty good actually. As long as people are open to new(er) music it should be good. I know I would definately be up for it I'm always trying to look for new music.
I really like the album of the week idea - as long as it had an objective critique of the album, as well as a description of the overall product. The last thing we'd want is every single album of the week to be 'the best album I've heard in ages' or 'awesome!'. Some objectivity and literary competancy would be required. However, from what I've seen, most regulars on here are literate and I'd be comfortable with giving them that responsibility.

However, concerns would be that only one album would be done every so often. So would an album of the month not suit better?

Quote by rockon1824

I simply can't sit here and agree that the chat thread was a valuable contribution to the forum; it degenerated into really pointless rubbish, basically.

As stated with others, if the chat thread was similar to that in the alt/indie forum, I'd have been comfortable with it staying. However, when the thing moved like 40 pages a day with 'yeah' and 'lol', you begin to question whether it is a waste of site space.

Frenchy hasn't ruled out the possibility of it coming back, but I really can't see it making an appearance in the short term.
I'm not begging to have the off-topic thread back. After metal forum people came here, it went downhill and was nothing but a waste. Album of the week is an alright suggestion I guess, but it doesn't matter all that much to me. Whatever makes the rest of you's happy.
LOL
Quote by rockon1824
MR Radio was a nice idea, but even that has garnered less and less interest as the weeks have gone on. So I don't see how any things like that or contests could really do anything for this place.

Well I've kept up to date with it, I just haven't posted in the last few threads. And some people are on holiday. The slowness does not indicate that the forum is dying and shame on you all for assuming that.

Album of the week sounds like a great idea, I'm up for that. Someone also mentioned "Modern Rock Jam" in another thread, and whilst I don't understand the logistics, I know it can be done. Seems like a lot of effort though, so if there wasn't enough interest, it wouldn't be worth doing.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Fair comment about summer traffic.

During the academic year, usage is a lot more predictable. During the summer, alas, it isn't.
I didn't mind the Off-Topic thread but when the Metal Chat people came in it completely ruined it.

I liked it when it was Saadia, DownInAHole., JackOffJill, George and the rest...when we had semi-intelligent conversations instead of listening to the brain dead metal heads moan about their internet relationships.

Album of the Month sounds alright, but doesn't give much interactivity between other users.

I have no real ideas sadly

I really only come here for the Incubus thread now, and then occasionally post in a few other threads.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I didn't mind the Off-Topic thread but when the Metal Chat people came in it completely ruined it.

I liked it when it was Saadia, DownInAHole., JackOffJill, Simon and the rest...when we had semi-intelligent conversations instead of listening to the brain dead metal heads moan about their internet relationships.

Album of the Month sounds alright, but doesn't give much interactivity between other users.

I have no real ideas sadly

I really only come here for the Pearl Jam thread now, and then occasionally post in a few other threads.

Yes. This is how much I am emphasising this post.
maybe user of the week. the mods pick a MR ug'er and they are the user of the week.
( . Y . )
Quote by rhcp22
maybe user of the week. the mods pick a MR ug'er and they are the user of the week.

But what would constitute becoming the 'MR User of the Week'? You could have a ton of different criteria.

Album of the Week sounds groovy as all get-out, I'd be more than willing to post in something like that It's got my support. Not sure if how much that counts for though! =/

And I can't see the OT thread coming back at all - you can't stop the metalheads from coming in and using it. If you could though, it'd probably become a better thread - much like it was before, I guess. But they're UGer's and they have the right to use whatever forum they bloody well please..
^Except the Mod threads and the FOTB
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
^Except the Mod threads and the FOTB

Well I was going to include that in my post, but didn't think it was necessary...

Along the lines of the Album of the Week suggestion, what about a Band of the Week thing? I realise that'd be limited in how far you could go, but it's just an idea I guess.
Quote by break-me-in
Well I've kept up to date with it, I just haven't posted in the last few threads. And some people are on holiday. The slowness does not indicate that the forum is dying and shame on you all for assuming that.

Album of the week sounds like a great idea, I'm up for that. Someone also mentioned "Modern Rock Jam" in another thread, and whilst I don't understand the logistics, I know it can be done. Seems like a lot of effort though, so if there wasn't enough interest, it wouldn't be worth doing.

There's a lot of interest for it in the MT forum, at least if you don't do it once a week. Once a month would be better since it gives users time to check out the backing track, record something over it, send it in and let someone past it all together. For those who don't know what the UG jam is all about, let me explain.

First, a backing track is chosen (which in our case would be from a modern rock song by a band or a UG'er). Then we all download the track and record one track over it. This should be an improvisation to maintain the 'jam' part. After the deadline someone pastes the tracks together and uploads it. It's also not a contest, just fun and games. I don't know if this is something that doesn't belong in this forum, but it should be cool.

By the way, why would you stick to one idea from this thread? I think alternating contests, games and other stuff would be better since the threads wouldn't lose interest and the ideas wouldn't tire.
If you do an album of the week thing make sure they're all new albums. Anyone can, for example, look through the recommendation thread and the Muse thread and find out they ought to own Showbiz but I want help deciding what I should be buying this week.
Quote by frankv
There's a lot of interest for it in the MT forum, at least if you don't do it once a week. Once a month would be better since it gives users time to check out the backing track, record something over it, send it in and let someone past it all together. For those who don't know what the UG jam is all about, let me explain.

First, a backing track is chosen (which in our case would be from a modern rock song by a band or a UG'er). Then we all download the track and record one track over it. This should be an improvisation to maintain the 'jam' part. After the deadline someone pastes the tracks together and uploads it. It's also not a contest, just fun and games. I don't know if this is something that doesn't belong in this forum, but it should be cool.

By the way, why would you stick to one idea from this thread? I think alternating contests, games and other stuff would be better since the threads wouldn't lose interest and the ideas wouldn't tire.

Now that you have explained it this seems like a brilliant idea actually. As long as enough people are up for it, it would be really good.
Quote by smb
If you do an album of the week thing make sure they're all new albums. Anyone can, for example, look through the recommendation thread and the Muse thread and find out they ought to own Showbiz but I want help deciding what I should be buying this week.

If we where to do new albums I don't think it would work.

And yeah, I like the jam idea. The appealing part is that it's not actually a competition but just some fun.
Any particular reason why we're emboldening certain usernames?
Quote by sebastian_96

I liked it when it was Saadia, DownInAHole., JackOffJill, George and the rest...when we had semi-intelligent conversations instead of listening to the brain dead metal heads moan about their internet relationships.

Oi, if your going to generalize, at least make it something plausible. None of us "brain dead metal heads" take responsibility for Magero's and the girl's cyber sex.

And to not be a complete waste of space (and seeing as I do write in a couple threads here and lurk in some others), a band of a week type deal seems interesting. Picking a band and making it the focus for a week, having people write reviews on their albums, history of the band, that "in the style of" contest, etc..
I think it allows for more options.

Then again, I'm just one of those brain dead metal heads. lol!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
Oi, if your going to generalize, at least make it something plausible. None of us "brain dead metal heads" take responsibility for Magero's and the girl's cyber sex.

And to not be a complete waste of space (and seeing as I do write in a couple threads here and lurk in some others), a band of a week type deal seems interesting. Picking a band and making it the focus for a week, having people write reviews on their albums, history of the band, that "in the style of" contest, etc..
I think it allows for more options.

Then again, I'm just one of those brain dead metal heads. lol!

That's actually a good idea. Would Frenchy and cagnius pick the band then? Or would be vote or something?

Oh, and you're not braindead, just a little mean.
A 'little'? I was called the satan of the metal forum, you know...

I think the picking should be by the mods, unless someone is willing to take charge of it. It should be only 1 or 2 people, for the sake of saving us all huge arguements about what band is more deserving to be next.
Also, if a band is going to have some important new release, it should be taken into consideration, as it would feel more appropriate.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Quote by dead-fish

Magero is banned. Revolution, anyone?
LOL
Quote by dead-fish

As much as I don't want to admit it, you're right. There were really only three metalheads who were causing problems: you, Magero, and "the girl." All you three did was bitch at each other incessantly. I certainly can't deny that I'm prone to argument, but at least my arguments are over some sort of issue, and are for the most part done respectfully. Not only would you just launch retarded ad hominem attacks on the other two (I don't know your history, and I don't care), but you would also just start arguments randomly with other people that had no base whatsoever and then justify yourself with "But I'm so arrogant that nothing affects me." It was cute the first couple of times, but then it just got excruciatingly annoying.

The rest of the metalheads were fine for the most part. And well, there is a way to solve that. Remember the reason they came over to us was because Greety closed their chat thread? But I don't know if Frenchy's fond of us right now enough to give Greety a little nudge.

Moving on... Album of the Week sounds cool, I guess. But I liked my take-off of George's boot idea better.
Oh it's so awful, the metalheads ruined your chat thread.

I'm not even a metalhead? =\

I was here before too.

Please.

It moved faster and it was more interesting imo. Let's not generalise.

And goodnessss. Does everyone go on about Jack and I and our supposed 'cyber sex'? wtf. Nothing went on, really. It's a case of you people, who I grew very fond of but have now lost alittle respect for, overexaggerating it greatly.
There was no cyber sex or anything of that type. Try not to fall off the bandwagon, now!

Just stop it. It's not funny.

And to anyone who's going on about Jack being banned -- It's none of your business :]
♥xx♥

It's none of your business

I know why he's banned.

And for the record, no one really cares that much. This thread is about suggestions, not pissing and moaning.
LOL
[quote=""[It's Alex"]"]Oh it's so awful, the metalheads ruined your chat thread.

I'm not even a metalhead? =\

I was here before too.

Please.

It moved faster and it was more interesting imo. Let's not generalise.

And goodnessss. Does everyone go on about Jack and I and our supposed 'cyber sex'? wtf. Nothing went on, really. It's a case of you people, who I grew very fond of but have now lost alittle respect for, overexaggerating it greatly.
There was no cyber sex or anything of that type. Try not to fall off the bandwagon, now!

Just stop it. It's not funny.

And to anyone who's going on about Jack being banned -- It's none of your business :]
...the only person who said anything about this "cyber sex" is dead-fish. I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.
You see, this is why we can't have another off-topic thread...

We spend too much time pointing fingers and bitching than actually engaging in intellectual discussion.
LOL
Quote by DownInAHole.

We spend too much time pointing fingers and bitching than actually engaging in intellectual discussion.

We can. But there has to be rules. Without rules, we're animals.

There doesn't need to be an off-topic thread. There's an off-topic forum and there's a chat server.
Quote by DownInAHole.

You'd probably lose me at intellectual discussions. I'm all for peace and intelligence, but I think the fun of that thread was the lightheartedness of the talk. I'm not everyone though, you'd probably attract a whole new group of people who do enjoy discussing politics, religion or whatever.

Right now, my vote on the suggestions goes to dead-fish's take on the featured band. If we were to do this once a month there would be enough room for all the review writing, a featured bootleg (if available), and In The Style Of contest and perhaps even a jam on one of the band's songs.
Quote by rockon1824
As much as I don't want to admit it, you're right. There were really only three metalheads who were causing problems: you, Magero, and "the girl." All you three did was bitch at each other incessantly.

Eh, guilty as charged, I suppose. But:
I certainly can't deny that I'm prone to argument, but at least my arguments are over some sort of issue, and are for the most part done respectfully. Not only would you just launch retarded ad hominem attacks on the other two (I don't know your history, and I don't care),

I always had a reason, and you're more than welcome to see for yourself. Most of my arguements were with Magero anyway, and most of them were about some relevant issue that was brought up.
but you would also just start arguments randomly with other people that had no base whatsoever and then justify yourself with "But I'm so arrogant that nothing affects me." It was cute the first couple of times, but then it just got excruciatingly annoying.

I tried numerous times to start conversations about all sorts of things, and I suppose you didn't see it, but I did have much more rational conversations than I did the whole "arrogant prick" thing. I started writing in the thread quite a while before the metal thread got closed, and I came here BECAUSE of the seemingly "higher" level of conversation.
As for me personally, I write pretty frequently in the QOTSA and Stoner Rock threads (stoner rock thread being pretty dead, but that's besides the point), and I don't write in much different tone than I did in the OT thread. I don't see any deterioration (sp?) in the QOTSA thread...

The rest of the metalheads were fine for the most part. And well, there is a way to solve that. Remember the reason they came over to us was because Greety closed their chat thread? But I don't know if Frenchy's fond of us right now enough to give Greety a little nudge.

The "rest" are exactly 2 people, both of which weren't nearly as prominent as myself or Magero. I suppose that's why you think they are fine, though...

That said, I'm going with CC guy's suggestion that we all stop pointing fingers and concentrate on actual substance. What d'ya say, sugarplum?
Band of the week sounds cool. How would we decide which band it would be, would it be Frenchy or something? Sounds like it could work for other forums too, actually.

And enough moaning about us evil metalheads, please? I don't only listen to metal, ergo I post here once in a while. And quite a lot of these immature OT discussions started and ended without any of us... what, 4 users (wow, what a revolution) even taking part. Blame JoJ and whoever else had a sense of humour in there. Not asking for the OT thread to be back, they're always a waste of time in some form or other, but for god's sake, there are 4 of 'us' and god knows how many of 'you'. Work it out.
Quote by DownInAHole.

Spot on - I was thinking that exact same thing as I read the latest comments.

I'll be honest, I really couldn't care less (and I mean that) about whatever alleged incidents happened between two un-named individuals - in fact, no one does.

Now, stop harping about about the chat thread - since this has vindicated the decision to close the previous one.

Keep this to suggestions for the forum, or otherwise I'll start banning.

The same goes for this Metal fan bullying that's occured. Cut it out.
i like the idea of the Album of the week thread - it was done before i believe, i'm pretty sure it is in the archives somewhere. but i don't really know why it died out...

perhaps a 'new band of the week' thread as well - maybe for users' bands, or underground bands that no one has really heard of.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Quote by flambe chicken
i like the idea of the Album of the week thread - it was done before i believe, i'm pretty sure it is in the archives somewhere. but i don't really know why it died out...

perhaps a 'new band of the week' thread as well - maybe for users' bands, or underground bands that no one has really heard of.

You mean like the "Local Scene/Plug Your Local Bands!" thread?
Page 1 of 5