can these two together achieve a metal sound? i need three things; an overdrive, another distortion besides my big muff, and also something close to a more metal/heavy sound, and was wondering if simply getting these two pedals would get me there; the sd-1 for overdrive (low-gain dist but also solo boost), ds-1 for rock dist and both together for more edge, instead of buying three different pedals.
What amp are you using?

That'd help us sort you out.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
sd and ds? isnt that a bit too much? i thought ur goin for distortion not tv static
Who in their right mind would honestly do that?

You don't need any of those things for a metal tone. All 3 of those wouldn't sound metal at all, it'd just sound like utter garbage that even the Marshall MG can lol at.

What amp have you got?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
What

Amp

Do

You

Have

?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
fender frontman 212r.

i swear, if anybody tells me to get a new amp i'll never come back to this site
Quote by Raziel123
fender frontman 212r.

well, it would benefit your tone a lot more, but if you're gonna run away from good advice:

Although i know you'll be back, because UG is like hotel california. You can log out any time you like, but you can never leave

You could get a distortion pedal, but it would make it just sound a little different to your amps distortion - not "better" by any means. Maybe try a metal muff.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Raziel123
fender frontman 212r.

get a new amp
Quote by Raziel123
fender frontman 212r.

Yeah, you're gonna need a new amp before you can get anything near a decent metal sound.

It was nice knowing you though.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I've heard frontmans don't like pedals too.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Apart from the fact you need a better amp for metal,

I own the SD-1 and DS-1 and together it does not achieve metal. It achieves an over-fuzzy, terrible sterile distortion. Really, together they don't compensate. You'd be better getting a metal muff or something similar which will be better for metal, and is around the price of both the Boss pedals together.
i dont know about that but my big muff pi sounds excellent on it, tried playing it along with some songs and it really sounds the same.

tbh, i know this amp is low-end, but i got it like 4 months ago, i can't get a new one. maybe in two or three years, but definitely not before, i've still got ways to go study/professionally-wise, and a new amp is simply not an option.

plus, even though i think the amp's drive is terrible, i really am satisfied with the clean channel. good old fender clean sound, specially if i use my Epi LP STD's neck pickup on medium volume. its crystal clear

sure, i'll eventually get a new amp, but that's not gonna happen now, so lets keep this thread on the pedals talk and please forget about which amp i have.

for now, given the circumstances where "my" band is not even gigging yet and still looking for one more member, im more interested in getting my pedalboard laid out, buy a pedal every 3 or 4 months and get it complete. after that, i can ask for my parents to give me a great tube amp, selling the FM (or keeping it at home) and voila.
the only current problem is that i only have the big muff as distortion, and the amp's drive sucks. there's no middle-way or "high-way", meaning i don't have any soft dirt or heavy dirt. when i mentioned metal, i meant to say just higher-gain rock, cause two of our songs come close to that. its not metal though, and i dont want metal; we're an alternative band ffs.

i was thinking about the boss sd-1 cause johnny greenwood uses one (including on the song "i might be wrong", which has a tone that i just love; barely dirty, but enough to give it more attitude than a clean sound), and the ds-1 because of nirvana (although i have humbuckers, not single coils, so im sure it would sound different).

im open to combinations too; keep in mind i have the big muff.

i basically want to have three different types of dirt. soft like radiohead and interpoil, medium-hard like nirvana, qotsa, and then a somewhat heavier thing, like porcupine tree (on their heavier stuff)
Get a Roland Microcube, that's about as expensive as both pedals, and sounds so much better.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Tube preamp = not tube amp.

Trust me, get the Roland Microcube, it's got t3h m3tulz you need.

Keep the Muff, it'll do yer QOTSA and pals.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
but..that's a "micro" amp.

i'm in a band, need high enough wattage to play with a drummer + one more guitarist
Take your guitar and amp to a store and try some pedals. That way you may be able to find something that works for you. Who really knows what you may like or dislike. I tried a radial classic distortion with a valve junior and quite liked it. I didn't buy it because because it was too expensive at 260e. I like the demos I have heard from the MI Audio Crunch Box and the Radial Plexi tube but I would still try them myself with my amp and guitars.
Quote by Raziel123
but..that's a "micro" amp.

i'm in a band, need high enough wattage to play with a drummer + one more guitarist

woot LoK fan.
solution: Get a Metal Muff with Top Boost and have at least 30 dollars left over for other stuff.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK