Well, I have a 1960a cab that I record out of. Currently, I have one dynamic mic and one condenser mic on the cab which I run in to a mixer and I have the condenser overpowering the dynamic somewhat (the condenser is higher-quality and sounds better). I just did the mixer thing as a test because I have an issue...

For some reason, I get a "far away" and "muffled" kind of sound. Any idea how I can fix this? Where should I place my mic?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
The condenser mic by nature will pick up more of the room than the dynamic mic. The dynamic mic should be placed very close to the cab, and the condenser should be at least a foot away or so. By using the mixer and having the condenser mic at a higher volume in the mixer, you are getting that far away sound. Experiment with the dynamic as much as possible, even if the condenser is of higher quality.
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
Your dynamic should be about 1 inch away from the grill (this is what I do anyhow), and just off of the center of the cone (the axis). I put my condenser about 2 feet back center-center of the cab.

Also, with multiple mics, you're gonna face what's called "phasing". You're going to to need to 'cancel' the mics out. Read up on it, it'll take a while, but it can be achieved pretty easily with a little bit of knowledge before diving in.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Just the condensor gives you the 'far away' sound, or both mics?

What kind of mics are you using - brand/model? Where are you putting them? (be reasonably descriptive...)

A poor condensor mic will sound 'far away' pretty much no matter where you put it. A condensor isn't automatically a better mic than a dynamic.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Just the condensor gives you the 'far away' sound, or both mics?

What kind of mics are you using - brand/model? Where are you putting them? (be reasonably descriptive...)

A poor condensor mic will sound 'far away' pretty much no matter where you put it. A condensor isn't automatically a better mic than a dynamic.

CT

I'm not sure what's giving me that sound. It's mixed into one line, so I can't tell.

I have the condenser on the 'outer circle' of one speaker and the dynamic on the 'outer circle' of an other.

My dynamic: http://www.zzounds.com/item--SENE815S
My condenser: http://www.beachaudio.com/Maudio/9900-40795-p-94099.html?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=reg&utm_term=9900-40795-00&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=froogle&GTKW=9900-40795-00&GCID=C12585x003
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Last edited by DiveRightIn63 at Aug 12, 2008,
Hmmm.... both should be very usable mics. Sennheiser and M-Audio are both pretty reputable brands. You might just be dealing with some really bad phasing issues between the two.

Are you putting them both right up to the grille? (which would explain phase issues) Try moving the condensor back about 4-8 feet, which is a more typical setup when using a dynamic right on the grille.

If you record each one separately, do they sound okay? (will rule out one mic or the other to see if one of them sounds bad.... maybe not working properly...)

Can you post a clip of what you're working with now? Phasing is really easy to hear once you know what it sounds like.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 12, 2008,
Yeah, they're both right next to the amp.

I don't know how they sound separate. I used to use just my condenser and I still got a bit of that sound, but not too bad. I'll try moving my condenser back, see how that works.

Clip up soon.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Not sure if its been addressed yet, but you should have both mics on the same speaker. This introduces additional phase issues that will take you forever to correct. Try micing the same speaker and adjusting the distance of the mics a tiny bit at a time until you get a solid sound.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
Not sure if its been addressed yet, but you should have both mics on the same speaker. This introduces additional phase issues that will take you forever to correct. Try micing the same speaker and adjusting the distance of the mics a tiny bit at a time until you get a solid sound.

I shall try that as well.

Sound clip is in my profile.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Quote by slash-120
That sounds good if you ask me!

Eh, it's still got a bit of that 'roomy' sound though and that bugs me. :-/
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Quote by slash-120
I think thats just the characteristic of the condensor.
Try recording two guitar parts, Eq them differently and pan them and see how it sounds altogether

I shall
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Sounds good to my ear. Nice tasty melody there too!

CT