Hey,

This is the first time I'm making a thread and I dunno where to place this, so I'll just place it here. Sorry if it's placed wrong :P

Some friends and I are planning on making a band and we'll also need a singer. We can do the basic stuff ourselves, but we'll need a microphone to hear ourselves above a 50 watts tube amp and 100 watts solid state amp (which won't be turned up 100%). I know something about microphones, but not about the loudspeakers used. What would you guys recommend as a loudspeaker for mics? Or a set of a mic and a speaker? The set mustn't cost more than 200 USD.

Thanks in advance!
Quote by Siempie666
Hey,

This is the first time I'm making a thread and I dunno where to place this, so I'll just place it here. Sorry if it's placed wrong :P

Some friends and I are planning on making a band and we'll also need a singer. We can do the basic stuff ourselves, but we'll need a microphone to hear ourselves above a 50 watts tube amp and 100 watts solid state amp (which won't be turned up 100%). I know something about microphones, but not about the loudspeakers used. What would you guys recommend as a loudspeaker for mics? Or a set of a mic and a speaker? The set mustn't cost more than 200 USD.

Thanks in advance!

You do realise the 50 watts tube will be as loud, if not louder, than the 100 watt solid state?

Any way, at that price its not going to happen really. You'll need an amplifier, a mixer and the speakers.
OK, that Shure mic looks good.
And what kind of mixer do I need? I never even thought about a mixer. And what kind of speakers do I need? And can't a mic straightly go to the speaker?
No. The signal path must go as follows:

Mic > Mixer > Power amp > Speakers.

There are other possible routes to take, for example:

Mic > Powered Mixer > Speakers

Speakers can be anything. As with all of this, get the best you can afford, and you'll need to consider buying second hand.

As for power, at my work we use Crown MA-3600 amps (1125W) into Nexo PS15 speakers (15 inch driver + 2 inch top) which provides enough volume for all but the loudest of bands. This allows vocals to be heard clearly over 2 100W JCM900 stacks and an Ampeg SVT3 bass amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Last edited by AndyPandy at Aug 10, 2008,