Page 1 of 2
I have been playing guitar and studying music theory for upwards of thirteen years. I have, in the last 4 years, been converted to the world of metal. My gear however, does not match that of someone looking for that kind of sound. I came from a classic rock background, with a lot of blues influence. My gear consisted of a Custom Gibson Les Paul, and a Marshall 250DX. No pedals.

My basic question is. What guitars are good for that sound? What amplifiers work great for supplying that epic distortion, and also being proficient at sounding clean when necessary? Also, what pedals are worth getting and why? I have finally mastered sweeping after a few years of practice and heard of an easier way to sound clean that apparently a lot of metal gods use, its a pedal that blocks out that nasty extra noise sometimes created by the arpeggios if you don't learn to play them clean. Anyways. That is a lot of information, but I know very little about gear.

P.S. Is there a website that explains guitar gear such as pickups really well? I want to learn more about the guitar electronics as well.

I just got back from a deployment overseas to Iraq. Combat zone, and hazard pay are really good so I made out with about 60 grand. I gave myself about thirty for spending money, and I don't need a car. I want epic gear.
Last edited by metaldog_USMC at Aug 10, 2008,
is that 250DX an MG? if so, you need a new amp

but we cant help you if you dont give us a budget!!!
It is a limitless budget so to speak. I just got back from a deployment to Iraq money is really good when you are in a combat zone. My budget is about thirty grand.
wow nice. ok well i would wait till the guys who know a lot about high end gear come in here.

good luck with your search
your les paul would do the job perfect, as for amps, You're looking in the high budget amps and I don't know about them, with guitars you're set though. If you really want a new guitar though, you can get another Les paul made for the br00tals if you like the les paul feel
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Maybe try going for an ENGL, they're really good. I dunno if it can handle the brutalest of metals(it might even do them well) but maybe try a Soldano SLO100? As for the effect, its probably a noise gate, as it blocks out hum and quitee a bit of noise too.
As for your Guitar, your guitar is fine. If you want to put new pickups you could buy a pair of bareknuckles(though they charge way too much for them in the US.) Or maybe some Dimarzios. Like an air norton in the neck and an X2N in the bridge. Or even a tone zone, though im not sure where they sound best.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
With that kind of budget you are looking at the cream of the crop of amps, i don't really know too much about these but i can give you some recommendations

My favourite high gain amp is the Diezel Herbert, you should also check out Diezel VH4/Einstein models, Bogner Uberschall, Splawn Nitro/Quickrod, Mesa/Boogie models (don't know a lot about these), also maybe the Peavey JSX
Quote by injected

METAL GEAR?!?!?!

Vintage Snake!

Anyway, TS in terms of your guitar, you're fine. You've got my dream guitar. If you change the pups and maybe put in some active EMG's or maybe DiMarzio's of some kind, and then got a better amp (If you're willing to spend money, something along the lines of ENGl, Soldano, Mesa/Boogie, Diamond even if you're willing to spend )
^ i agree, a les paul custom should be fine. maybe put in more metal-voiced pickups, but you should be ok regardless.

if you want a slightly different tone of a guitar, a new guitar wouldn't hurt.

amps, i'd be looking at all the high gainers- soldano, mesa, bogner, splawn, mako, diezel, vht, engl, framus, brunetti, etc. etc. etc. I haven't tried all of those, but you should try as many as you can.

there's also no need to spend $30000, unless you want to. [what you could do is outfit and soundproof a home studio or something like that, if you really want to blow that money!] You should be able to get an absolutely amazing rig for about $3000-$4000, and certainly for under $10000, even if you buy a new guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by injected

METAL GEAR?!?!?!

LMAO excactly why I clicked on this post too!

Anyway, my personal advice would be to stick with your Marshall for now and just get a decent distortion pedal, that's the cheaper way and you'd still get a pretty sick sound. That's what I've done and I think it sounds pretty awesome.

Of course, a metal amp would probably sound better 'cause their distortions tend to be less digital sounding but that can be quite alot of money if you just wanna basic-chug.

I recommend you go into a shop with your guitar, ask to try some pedals on a marshall amp (preferably the same one as yours if they have it) and chug!

I recommend the Boss MT-2 Metalzone Distortion, it sounds hench and has 4 different tone knobs, a volume knob and a gain so you can really change your sound to light distortion or to MAX UBER SUPER HARDCORE GAINZZZZ, again that's what I'm using and I'm well happy with my sound for now.

In terms of guitars, if you're thinking of a new guitar just for your metal I recommend Jackson, LTD (or ESP if you're loaded, they're the more expensive guitars by the same company), or Ibanez.

If it doesn't come with them already, shove some EMG or Seymour Duncan pickups in them. Both are awesome brands and if you google their websites you can hear samples of their various pickups played. EMG however are used by more well known bands/artists such as Metallica, Zakk Wylde and Slayer.

Make sure you've got Humbuckers in your guitar. You probably knew that but just making sure. Single Coils will give you a stupidly loud buzzing when you turn your distorton on and will give you a naff sound. With humbuckers and distortion your guitar will be so sensative, thats when you can just shove in massive legato licks and crazy squealing pinch harmonics which make people cream.

Erm, that's it really. That's how you can get a reasonably good metal sound for a reasonable amount of money.

If you are thinking about getting a guitar for metal, then I'd do that before checking out the amp and pedals 'cause you're basing it on the wood you're playing. You can have the best set up in the world but a crummy guitar isn't gonna be good. And that is why I personally think you shouldn't go for BC Rich though others'll probably kill me for that. THe cheap ones atleast I think aren't very good, naff wood and what not. I'm ranting now so I'll shut up.

BHD

Edit:

Just re-read your post and realised you said you're loaded. IN WHICH CASE:

1. Buy a decent Guitar first:
Jackson, LTD/ESP or Ibanez for metal. They're the most popular ones metal bands seem to use.
2. Make sure it has awesome pickups:
Humbuckers which are EMGs or Seymour Duncans.
3. Get a f***-off Amp:
Bigger the better! HAHA! That's true metal!
Nah, Randall Cabinets are good,
Personally I don't recommend thinks like Line 6. 'Cause the sounds are digitally simulated they can just sound really naff. >_< There's nothing quite like a proper head distortion!
Look up the 5150 too, they're used by loads of bands. Proper chuggy.
Once you've got your metal axe, take it to the shop and start shredding away on different amps, that'll give you the best feel. You can try a pedal but I don't think it'd be as good as hench-amps built in distortion.
4. Get it home and squeal

Oh also, you said about the effects pedal that will cut out unwanted noises. I think you're thinking of a noise gate?

On a noise gate you set the volume line and anything under that volume will be cut out. So if you accidently slide down your guitar and it could be heard, if it's under the volume boundary you won't hear it through the amp. This is used alot in studios to cut out dodgy notes etc I think but, if I were you, learn to sweep without one! Don't cheat!

Also, alot of this is my own opinion: I'm probably gonna get yelled by every UGer on the forum 'cause I've got stuff really wrong or something but I hope I helped somehow.

Hope I helped again.
GUITAR!!!!!
Last edited by BHD at Aug 10, 2008,
^ dude, he has $30,000 to burn, and you're recommending an MT2? o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ dude, he has $30,000 to burn, and you're recommending an MT2? o_O

Yeah my bad I kinda speed-read his post and just started to reply. I've added more now though!
GUITAR!!!!!
I have spent the last two years mastering sweeping. I have it down without the noise gate, but if I had one, it would sound so damn clean that I would give myself chills, and we all know how hard it is to impress ourselves with guitar skills. Or at least I am my most critical listener.
yeah, i saw that. I don't think you necessarily need duncans or emgs, though, bareknuckles, swinesheads, USA-based handwound pickups, there are loads of nice pickup manufacturers.

guitar versus amp, it is kind of chicken and the egg. with that amount of money, i'd be trying a load of guitars, and a load of amps. definitely worth getting one you like the feel of, then try it through a bunch of different amps...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I just noticed the $30,000 bit too. In that case, boutique amps is what you need. Get some good metal pickups like I said, and like Dave listed, check out all those amp brands. If you don't have any boutique amp dealers near you, go on websites and listen to soundclips, etc, to see if they're right. Personally, I think a Diamond Spec Op is right up your street.
^ i wouldn't say that, necessarily. normally my advice ends up "try it yourself"...

^^ yeah, those special ops are meant to be nice. you just really have a ton of options at that kind of budget, but you want to try some of the cheaper stuff too (like a 5150 etc.), as there's no point in blowing $30000 if $5000 will do what you want. $30000 would be a pretty good deposit on a house, for example.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS, look into a Hughes and Kettner triamp mkII.

It will cover any style of music perfectly. Has 3 channels if im not mistaken, clean, crunch, and metal(or something like that).

It will rip your face off if you let it, but it will also sound beautiful on the cleans. Excellent crunch channel too. I highly advise you check one out, they run about $3k new, but go for about $2k used.

As for a guitar, if you want metal, ESP is for you. They are THE name in metal guitars.

The Forest GT from ESP gets my recommendation.

I am fairly sure they come with extremely hot pickups for metal, but you can always upgrade.

You pretty much have a perfect metal rig right there.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ yeah, those special ops are meant to be nice. you just really have a ton of options at that kind of budget, but you want to try some of the cheaper stuff too (like a 5150 etc.), as there's no point in blowing $30000 if $5000 will do what you want. $30000 would be a pretty good deposit on a house, for example.

The Spec Ops are great, but the only videos I found on YouTube were some guy wanking off the fretboard in a guitar store. It was like uber wankage to the point the you couldn't even tell how good the amp was very well.

And +1 on the fact he could try some cheaper stuff. $30,000 is a lot to blow on gear, you could get cheaper stuff like 5150's, etc, that could run you less than $1500 (excluding cab).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Oh Dave also, I found some clips of your ENGL on the UG dMusic thing, and it is kickass! You're playing is awesome, and the tone is ****ing sweet. How much did it cost you?

/Hijacking thread (sorry)
Ok well first you need an amp

Get either a Diezel, ENGL, or a custom made one.

All three are very good for metal.

Second, if you want metal, I would get a new guitar, les pauls are great so if you want to keep it its fine.

If you want to get a new guitar then I would say get some type of Jackson or ESP, both are great metal guitars.
Alright since you have the budget to spend I suggest spending it on some decent priced gear then working your way up.

For amps i recommend getting a tube amp for a nice distortion sound. Look at these amps for starters:

Peavey 6505
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116180/6505(R)%20Head.cfm

Marshall jcm 800

Mesa triple rectifier
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Triple_Rectifier/triple_rectifier.html

Also check out Randall amps, they have really good high gain amps for reasonable prices.
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/

Tell us more about your metal influences and sound that you are trying to get? Do you want a stack or a combo amp?

For guitars check out ESP or Jackson, they seem to be dominate in the metal. Or you can use your LP and put some EMG pickups to get a tighter sound.

Also check out this site for amp sounds; it helped me alot

http://www.netmusicians.org/?section2=amp
i would switch out the bridge pickup to a dimarzio cause dimarzio can be used for blues and classic rock in there high gain stuff thats how versitile they are. as for the amp, i would get a peavey 6505 or something along those lines, if you need a clean go with a mesa mark IV
If you will spend the money.. lol..

Get a Caparison, Gutierrez, or some other really high end guitar. I also really like ESPs and Fernandes.

For amps.. also if you'll spend the money, Diezel Herbert and matching cabinet.

Will probably run you just under 7-8 grand, but you'll never buy anything ever again.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
With you money i would recommend a hughes & kettner triamp mkII, it has great highgain, solid crunch (so you can still play classic rock) and a nice clean. For a cabinet you would be fine getting a matching Hughes & Kettner cab, but other cabs could also work (im not great with cabs). Your les pual would work fine for metal but if you really want another guitar i would suggest a pre-fender buyout jackson/charvel, amazing giutars for metal. Some other stuff you could always get are stuff like a tubescreamer, an ISP decimater, MXR 10 band EQ, Some effects (chorus, reverb, delay, flanger, whatever you want).
Gear
Carvin custum dc 747
Ibanez rg 520qs
Homemade Nocaster
Hofner violin bass
Hughes & Kettner Swithcblade 100 head
Ampeg v-4 412's (one with veteran 30's one with stock speakers)
Randall 412
Vintage Supra
ISP Decimater G-string
you mention "that sound" a few times. what sound is that exactly? metal is a pretty broad genre. list some bands that sort of have the sound you're looking for, and we'd be able to help you out a lot more.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
with your budget its all about how you think things sound
There are so many options you have

Your guitar should be fine (I love Les pauls with High GAIN! so much chunk!)

My reccomendation would be to go to a botique dealer, call up guys at splawn, search around, hell even try harmony central (those guys have some crazy rigs), look at what your favorite players are rocking through
I would recommend getting a custom made guitar from Ran Guitars. You can get anything you want there.

Also, a Diezel Herbert would do you fine.

That should come out near 7 grand, and you could spend the rest on a huge pedalboard and a studio.
30 grand, eh?

Look into Two Rock amplifiers... maybe Mesa/Boogie, Metropoulos (they make Marshall clones with much better quality) ENGL, Hiwatt, Soldano, Hughes and Kettner... with your budget you should try it before you buy it, I think.

You also might want to look into some vintage Gibsons - you could certainly afford a '61 or '62 SG, if I'm not mistaken.

But with 30 grand, the sky is pretty much the limit.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I would personally reccomend a Mesa MKIV. I own a Mark III and I am very satisfied with it. The Mark series amps are very dark and aggressive sounding while maintaining Fender-like glassy cleans. Make sure you get a cab that can pump out all of that. Maybe even a full stack so that you can really blow someone's ass off. I personally like how Mesas sound with marshall cabs. Metallica used to run Mesas into Marshall heads and then out of Marshall cabs. You have enough money to get whatever you want, basically so I'd pretty much get the amp and a cab or two, followed by the guitar. Honestly, the guitar makes the least difference in your tone. Also, the Mark series Mesas are tweaker amps meaning you're gonna spend quite a bit of time ****ing with the settings before you find your perfect tone but when you do find that tone, you'll love it.

As far as guitars are concerned. If you really want to sound aggressive, I'd definitely go for the ESP's. As far as pickups are concerned, All I can comment on are the EMG 81, 85 and 60. The 60 is tight and great for some chuggy rhythm. The 81 is OK but I don't personally like it at the 9V setting that stock EMG actives come at. It sounds sterile. The 85 is nice and boomy and powerful sounding. I have my LTD EC-1000 set up with the 18v mod. I'm running the 60 in the neck and the 85 in the bridge. I get nice chunky rhythm andfull sounding lead sounds with the 85. Try it out. Personally, I'd never use an EMG unless it was wired with the 18V mod. The pickups certainly do sound sterile when running on one battery but when you have two, they are far more clear and articulated. Much more headroom. With a proper amp, you'll hear all the mistakes you make which will make you want to strive to be a better player. Haha...
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Last edited by IXI Streak IXI at Aug 10, 2008,
Soldano SLO-100 is a great high-gainer, but it can also just do lead in general, in more of a rock form if you ever wanna give mid-gain a go.

PS, thanks for serving
Quote by AdamDK

Oh Dave also, I found some clips of your ENGL on the UG dMusic thing, and it is kickass! You're playing is awesome, and the tone is ****ing sweet. How much did it cost you?

/Hijacking thread (sorry)

i think about £1300 including the footswitches and delivery etc. another £400 for the cab.

Thanks for the kind words about the playing and tone.

the other thing is, if you have $60k altogether, if this credit crunch gets much worse, you wouldn't be a million miles away from nabbing a house. That'd definitely be worth considering... guitar gear is badass, but it's even more badass if you have somewhere to store it...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Lol is the credit crunch really getting that bad? $60,000/£30,000 close to getting a house? haha lol.
Page 1 of 2