Hello. I've been playing for nearly 6.5 months and i have a ibanez rg321ex and roland micro cube...now i have some money so is it a clever thing to buy a boss gt 8? i mainly play death metal and gt8 looks really good. so should i buy it?
my buddy just got a gt10 and hes nuts about it, uses it like its crack. i dont know if this helps lol. i tried ( oh and hes into metal and what not too)
Quote by carlsbad
I wish my grass was emo, so it can cut itself

Quote by Cynoxx
He's asian, dude. For everything awesome you do there's always an asian kid that can do it at least 4 times better...
Better upgrade your amp. Multi-effect aren't so good, especially on a Cube (modeling amp).
I will change the cube...Even if i upgrade my amp i can never get a tube amp. they are too loud and nearly 3x of the price of gt 8. Why are they arent so good? I listened some clips from youtube and they werent so bad.
Really need fast help...Is boss gt-8 worth getting? i need good distortion the other effects are not that important but they are a huge plus...does it have good distortion? just need to know this.
Well Opeth uses them for their live distortion, and they tour the world. If it's the best for your situation depends if it's your only option. A better amp would be a better choice, I think.
Go for the GT-8. But, isn't this like the 5th thread you've made about it?
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Not the 5th lol just the 2nd cos the other one got only one answers:/:/ didnt want to up that.
Btw a good amp is always better for good distortion but as i said i cant buy a tube amp because of price and volume...Roland distortion is famous in this forum and gt 8 has the same modelling technology with roland so gt 8 should be good even better than roland cube 30x right? and also T!AN are you sure opeth uses gt 8 live?
Ok i read some things about that gt-8 s used on live but they dont use it for distortion i guess...anyway are they good? if i play metal will it satisfy me since im not able to but tube amps?
I'm using a POD XT and its great for metal, and great for silent recording (living in apartments.. can't crank ANYTHING) people are telling you to upgrade the amp.. and really its a given if you plan to jam or gig even.. But if you're just practicing or recording by yourself.. getting a good set of headphones to go with the GT-8 will do you VERY well also.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
A pod xt is even more expensive than gt10 here so i will forget it for now since im even buying the gt 8 used. I just bought some good headphones maybe ill use it with a gt 8 and ill also change me micro cube to some non-modelling ss amp. hope gt 8 will be good for what i need. thanks a lot.
hehe sorry i wasn't suggesting that you buy the pod XT over the gt-8. just the these guitar preamps usually sound best with a good set of headphones (stereo sound after all) and is usually the best way to go if you're jamming/recording by yourself.

for metal, i'm confident the GT-8 will do everything and more than you want.. and all the better if you're getting a good price for it.

enjoy and good luck!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
my uncle has a gt-6 or 8 cant remember but all i remember is that it sucks ball sacks, i don't like it and i have a open mind with everything related to guitar :P and i still don't like it. but it also depends what amp you are using. i wouldn't use it for death metal, the distortions seem to suck but the other effects like delay and what not aren't too bad.
Quote by convictionless
my uncle has a gt-6 or 8 cant remember but all i remember is that it sucks ball sacks, i don't like it and i have a open mind with everything related to guitar :P and i still don't like it. but it also depends what amp you are using. i wouldn't use it for death metal, the distortions seem to suck but the other effects like delay and what not aren't too bad.

I had one. Sold it. I'd never say it sucks ball sacks. It's a pro grade product, it sounds great. It's just hella complicated to tweak. There's just too many parameters for my taste.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Hello everyone again now i found a used pod xt live...is it better than gt 8? most say the tone is better but the effects of gt 8 is better. since i dont use all wahs delays reverbs a lot is a pod xt live the way to go for better distortion etc? what you say? i will use 15 watt ss amp with the processor...
well I've always loved roland MFX and I actually bought my me-20 because I wanted a GT-8 but didn't have enough money...GT-8 all the way IMO:it has killer wah , and all effects are übergreat,same as all the distortions (Boss).
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
And btw if the distortion is better than the gt 8 the effects can be worse...its np...when i searched the forum %60 said gt 8 was better but what where they thinking when they voted for gt 8? wahs delays or the distortion? thats important for me...so i need your help about pod.
Quote by blind.quardian
Hello everyone again now i found a used pod xt live...is it better than gt 8? most say the tone is better but the effects of gt 8 is better. since i dont use all wahs delays reverbs a lot is a pod xt live the way to go for better distortion etc? what you say? i will use 15 watt ss amp with the processor...

I prefer the POD XT Live over the GT 8, but it's your choice. It will be more effective if you can bypass your SS preamp. They are alot better then the existing preamps of any SS i've plugged into or you may want to consider a Valve Junior. 5 watts of tube isn't terribly loud and you can adjust the volume through a POD without changing the tone.. I like it much better then through SS amps.

Edit:
Quote by blind.quardian
wahs delays or the distortion? thats important for me...so i need your help about pod.

Amp modeling. Depending on the model selected the fx respond differently. It's so tweakable you'll certainly find what you like.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Aug 11, 2008,
scott i have a roland micro cube now and it has a phones/rec out and a aux in slot...if i keep it would it be better than having a ss with no phones or aux slot?
I can't be sure. I don't have a micro cube. I have 4 SS amps and the valve junior head/cab and combo. My POD sounds a bit different through all of them (all have different speaker configurations). Does your aux/in bypass the preamp of the Microcube? My DA 20 does and it sounds alot better hooked up this way rather then through the main in with the bypass button on. You do not want your preamp to over color your tone. If your aux/in can be used with an mp3 player chances are it will be fine.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
ok thanks. the pod is like a 100 dollars more but if its worth it for my choices i will choose it over gt 8...
I think it's a good choice, but do read the manual. The POD isn't a toy, it's hi-tech and there's alot to be found in it. Chances are it will turn you into a pretty good sound guy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
So i found one used and its very clean its like new so ill buy it if i can...hope its really better choice than gt 8
It's really kind of subjective, but the amp models will give you more of an edge in my opinion. Here's something else you may want to pickup. Not the best dvd, but I learned a ton from it and it was certainly worth the $20 i paid for it.

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/nigel-spennewyn/15630/ultimate-gear-guides-pod-20-pod-xt-xt-live
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by duggyrocks
Sorry to ask in your thread but GT-10 or POD XT (or X3 idk) Live ?

Don't know. I've never tried the GT 10 or X3. But between the gt8 and xtl I bought the xtl.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Don't know. I've never tried the GT 10 or X3. But between the gt8 and xtl I bought the xtl.

So...many... numers and letters

I'm gonna try out the gt-8 later this week, and i think i seen one of the littler pods in another shop too. Do the smaller ones (as in the ones actually shaped like pods ) sound much like the xt live?
Quote by duggyrocks

lol its np. i asked the same question in your thread=)...So after some search people mostly say that line 6 is good for the modellings and gt 8 is good for the effects.
Disclaimer. All POD products aren't created equally. I'll only vouch for the POD XT Live and again it's pretty subjective. If you prefer the roland cube 30 over the Vox AD 30 we may have similar tastes. If you like the Fulltone OCD over the TS 808 tubescreamer we may have similar tastes if you like MG series amps we do not have similar tastes. I'm sure you get the idea.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
If You want good distortion... Save your money and Invest in the Dime Distortion or any MXR Distortion product... They make the best... Period
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
Why does gt 8 has a lot more buttons than pod xt live? the pod looks too empty in that way. how you setup the things you want? most people say gt 8 is better. im really confused. there are not much gt 8 and pods used and now i found a pod used should i go with it or wait for someone to sell a gt 8...my head is all fcked up...
The POD settings are in the screen menu. There's like 128 user presets. each preset can be what ever you want it to be. With or without amp models, with or with out effects. There's a million different ways to mess with this thing. There's really just to much to even list. The "few" pedals you see need to be setup so they are easier to use in a live situation. You can go from a Led Zepplin tone to a Queen tone with the press of one pedal switch, but you have to set it up that way There are factory presets, but i've tweaked them all except a few that i liked as they were. . The first row of pedals (under the EQ/OD dials) are for turning amp models on or off, your stomp, mod and delay. Hard to really go into it all here, but take my word for it there is a ton of stuff there. I was a bit overwhelmed by it in the beginning, but as I started to figure out how the different effects shaped my tone and how amp models actually worked it was pretty clear I had a level of versatility beyond anything i had before and it was better then the onboard preamps of other SS amps i'd plugged into. Then with the Vj I was hooked. Relax it will be good stuff once you learn it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Like scott was saying, the pod xt live can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you can download Gearbox or Line6 Edit for free. They allow you to change your settings through your computer and it makes it a lot easier than using the buttons on the actual pod. The interface is really easy to get the hang of. Also, unless the previous owner added the metal shop add on, you will probably want to get that.
Quote by duggyrocks

Get the X3 Live, I've played with all three of them (friends own them) but I wanted to be different and bought an X3 Live, after a few hours I was about to take it back, but after alot of tweaking I got sounds that are better than my orange AD30TC!! the XT's are meant to be pretty much the same except for the dual tone thing but I think they changed something pretty major in the X3 cos they sound a hella of a lot better.
I've got a gt-6 and it's pretty amazing. I've had it for four years and it's still great, and I got it used. The Boss equipment is capable of giving you any sound you want, you can sound like david gilmour, John Frusciante, or Dimebag Darrell. It's even possible to make techno if you play with it enough, the thing is you have to spend a lot of time to figure out how to use it right. There are so many different options that you may not get what you want if you don't know how to use it.