..in general? I think for my next 4 stringer I might want something more modern looking and sounding for a change seeing as I've only played P basses and J basses my whole life (I'm sheltered). I like the looks of Ibanez GSR basses, but how are they for people that own them? Will a Fender w h o r e such as myself appreciate them?

Thanks bass forum.
I don't own an Ibanez bass, so I can't be too sure. However, I can tell you that a lot of people around here say that they're great basses. Personally, I own an Ibanez acoustic guitar. For a $100 guitar, it sounds wicked nice.
Ive played a few, but dont own one and as far as i can tell from their low end basses to their high end basses they always sounds great for their price and seem pretty solid
they feel very slick, unlike your Fender, they will have a consistently thin neck. the GSR and SR series are like jazz basses in neck feel, but of course, not.
the ATK series is more like a P-bass in feel. fat baseball bat neck, big body, and so on. Ibanez has a good tone also, from a smooth clear warmth to an active clack, you can find most tones in Ibanez.
I suggest playing a few, they all sound different.

also, the GSR is a little like the squier for Ibanez. I'd mess with a few regular SR's first if I were you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have an SRX, basically just like the SR, but with humbuckers. It's awesome.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I own the GSR 100 and GSR 200 and their both great basses but since this isnt going to be your first bass Id say go with a more high end model
Quote by watchingmefall
IMO Ibanez make some of the best BFB instruments.

Bang for Buck.

Agree. The value of their basses is outstanding. It is not like their "low end" series sounds like magic, but they sound good and are very durable and are not made of plywood and aluminum foil. It just gets better from there.

BTW, we get about 1 Ibanez bass thread every 2 days all with the same reply and results. Should this be added to the FAQ for starter packs/basses or general feedback on them?
^this.

how about a section just on the main brands?
Squier/Fender
Epiphone/Gibson
Ibanez

and what makes each one different.

I'll try to help with that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last monday I was blown away how thin the neck was in some of ibanez models.. I think it was SR. I so wish I had some money.. I would definitely buy one ibanez 4-banger to accompany my ESP 5-banger
They play well and sound well. Being a Fender ***** myself, there not really my bag, I just perfer the old school sound.
I love my SR800. I have one of their older models with the vari-mid and I can dial up a variety of tones. I use it mainly for rock, alternative and a bit of fusion jazz. Its my main bass for slap as well.

The necks are thin and fast, which are not for anyone. The bass is also on the lighter side, though bigger heavier basses never were much of an issue for me.
Well it's survived in the brand bass wars for a quite a while. It's quite well liked on these boards.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Thanks for all of your help guys. I'm really looking to get some thing that is alot smaller and lighter then I'm used to because sometimes its a pain lugging my Fender around all of the time.
aren't Aerodynes pretty light? you can stick with Fender possibly, Randy.

Quote by TormentedRx
If someone wants to start that, I could do some of the section on Ibanez.

I could do part on Epiphone/Gibson and Fender/Squier.

and we could have little blurbs about the less popular brands.

ex. Rickenbacker: nothing sounds like a Rick, most commonly a punchy instrument with mostly highs and lows, and very few mids. however, they are hard to get ahold of nowadays, and can sell for very high prices.

watcha say guys? good idea?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Aug 10, 2008,
I've got an Ibanez Ergodyne bass and I love it. The active electronics are nice and I can crank the low end and get a nice growl out of it. The neck is very slender which I like. Also, it is made of composite so it is very light and has been very durable. All in all, it is a great bass and I'm glad I got it. I've never really been a Fender bass fan though, so you might feel differently.

Justin
They vary a lot in sound...many are pretty modern sounding. They have quite a few models that neck-dive, notably the GSR basses. I've never played an Ibanez that didn't feel awesome, though.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by the humanity
aren't Aerodynes pretty light? you can stick with Fender possibly, Randy.

I could do part on Epiphone/Gibson and Fender/Squier.

and we could have little blurbs about the less popular brands.

ex. Rickenbacker: nothing sounds like a Rick, most commonly a punchy instrument with mostly highs and lows, and very few mids. however, they are hard to get ahold of nowadays, and can sell for very high prices.

watcha say guys? good idea?

Great Idea sir, I award you 10 rhythm points, now jump to it

and to TS, I'm a big fan of Ibanez,except the one I bought,it's the little black one with a short neck and one soapbar pickup, it was horrid and unreliable, but the SR series is excellent value,and they look gorgeous in this mans opinion
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"