I want a Strat (obviously one better than my Squier), but I dunno if I really NEED it. Any suggestions of how I can get a nice blues tone with my current rig, assuming I use my Ibanez (with EMGs).
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
EMGs probably wont do blues too well, as they have verrry high output. Your Epi would probably do better.
Really? The action is so f*cking high though..
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by md41

couldn't you lower the action?

also high action is good for blues
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
couldn't you lower the action?

also high action is good for blues

Are you being serious..?

Anyway, I haven't touched it in forever. Maybe I'll pick it up again..
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Well uh, "bluesy sound" is a pretty subjective term.

You're the one with your gear, and only you know how it can sound (and what kind of sound you want). My only suggestion is to try all your guitars, turn all the knobs and flip all the switches, just mess around with the settings until you get something closest to the sound you want. And you have some pretty decent gear for what you have, I would be surprised if you couldn't get some nice tone.
crazy talking animals
Quote by md41

is the neck extremely bowed? that's what happened to my Epi G-310. So, I bought an Epi Lp standard. It's just THAT much better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by md41
Are you being serious..?

Anyway, I haven't touched it in forever. Maybe I'll pick it up again..

If you play slide blues, then, yes, a higher action is better.

But I would use the SG or Squier, and through a Tubescreamer and Palomino, I think it would sound pretty good for dirty kind of blues, like ZZ Top's older stuff.
Last edited by The Picker at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
is the neck extremely bowed? that's what happened to my Epi G-310. So, I bought an Epi Lp standard. It's just THAT much better.

you bought a new guitar when you could've just adjusted the truss rod?

I think higher action is better for any blues, not just slide. I don't know the reason why but it seems to make the guitar sound better, in a similar way to having thicker strings. No, i'm not Eric Johnson.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
you bought a new guitar when you could've just adjusted the truss rod?

I think higher action is better for any blues, not just slide. I don't know the reason why but it seems to make the guitar sound better, in a similar way to having thicker strings. No, i'm not Eric Johnson.

no, it was bowed beyond truss rod adjustment. the neck was not made of a strong enough wood (possibly basswood) so it died.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I use a squier '51..and yes, it is a squier, and it's a reeally cheap guitar

but i've been playing for 3+ years now, and though it's not perfect, it's good enough..

try everything out..I'm sure you can find an interesting tone
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by oneblackened
no, it was bowed beyond truss rod adjustment. the neck was not made of a strong enough wood (possibly basswood) so it died.

Wat??

Basswood neck?? The only people using basswood in their necks that I can think of is Parker, and they fasho know what they're doing.
crazy talking animals
Quote by mrvile
Wat??

Basswood neck?? The only people using basswood in their necks that I can think of is Parker, and they fasho know what they're doing.

could be low quality basswood in the epiphone though.

Quote by Blompcube
could be low quality basswood in the epiphone though.

Hmm, I always thought G310 necks were mahogany. But...maybe Epiphone sometimes is sneaky and dishonest...
crazy talking animals
Quote by md41
Are you being serious..?

SRV may have played with one of the higher action strats ever.
Quote by mrvile
Wat??

I took off some of the paint on the neck. guess what? the wood was soft and light colored.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I hear if you 18v mod the EMGs they can sound great for blues.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by oneblackened
I took off some of the paint on the neck. guess what? the wood was soft and light colored.

Ha, that just proves my above statement.

Another reason not to buy Squiers and Epis!
crazy talking animals
Nah, the newer Epi's are pretty nice, especially the Standard and up, and the Epi Elitist series are undeniably good.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Nah, the newer Epi's are pretty nice, especially the Standard and up, and the Epi Elitist series are undeniably good.

Yeah I know I was kidding. There are some pretty dece Squiers out there too, I'm usually pretty impressed when I find a nice Squier at the local GC.

And why the hell are Afinity Teles $170?? I was pissed they didn't have any in stock the day I went to pick up my regular Tele. Woulda saved me a crapload of money
crazy talking animals
Ah, well thanks for all your input

Tomorrow I'm just gonna crank up just the Crate with my Ibanez and just mess with the settings. Can't wait.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Higher actions let you really dig in to your bends, essential for the blues.