Page 1 of 3
I picked bass over electric guitar because it kicks electric guitar's arse.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Well I play Guitar but my Brother plays Bass.He says that "To many people play Guitar,I'd rather play something diffrent and its fun."
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
i never use to listen to any real music and then my uncle said he'd pay towards a guitar. We were listening to some crazy bass **** in the car on the way (cant remember what it was) then i just said i wanna learn bass. So basically some random funk artist that i cant remember.
i wasnt good at guitar and so i bought a bass. then my friend wanted me in his band but they already had a bassist so i started playing guitar again. so basically bass was easier.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Quote by metallicaboy27
Well I play Guitar but my Brother plays Bass.He says that "To many people play Guitar,I'd rather play something diffrent and its fun."

Same here, I hate following trends.
bass kicks electric guitar because I hate the zillions of effects on guitar. you've got that less on bass^^

W
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by metalminded07
i wasnt good at guitar and so i bought a bass. then my friend wanted me in his band but they already had a bassist so i started playing guitar again. so basically bass was easier.

man that atitude makes me feel sick
Quote by Lord Waltaa
bass kicks electric guitar because I hate the zillions of effects on guitar. you've got that less on bass^^

W

You'd be surprised how much effects I use on my bass in this one prog rock band I'm in.
I don't really know. I think I mostly I wanted to be Nick Oliveri.
I started playing bass because a band needed a bassist (I was already a singer). That band split up. LOL. I'm in a new one now. I play guitar too, and actually now it's starting to take over, but I will always be better at bass cause I have 2 years experience playing bass, so you know...

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by metallicaboy27

+1

In addition, I have amazing rhythm and can keep time, no matter the intricacy.

Also, bands like Primus, Korn, and Mudvayne and artists such as Vic Wooten were my inspiration.
because of roger waters
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
I already knew how to read bass clef, I have a pretty good sense of rhythmn and I have dexterous fingers so I can play most melodies on bass anyway.
i felt more comfortable physically and psychologically playing bass, it just appealed to me the way a guitar did but in the right ways
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I was getting laid too much.

Quote by watchingmefall
Cthulhu told me to.

Did you meet him in R'yleh?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Started off on guitar, bought a cheap bass cause my band needed a bassist and just ended up playing it more and more while my guitar started gathered dust.

Found out who that crazy Claypool guy was and then BAM.

It just felt right for me I suppose.
Seeing Jason Newstead playing My Friend of Misery and because my friend asked me.. or forced me to pick up the bass so we could form a band...

Later on I bought guitar too, but I only play guitar in my bedroom for my own enjoyment =)

Still think that guitar is way over-rated compared to bass.. Playing a bit both instruments I think that bass is actually more difficult instrument than guitar.
flea, as a bassist being way better and cooler than any other bassist ever. and i enjoy playing bass and slap bass mpre than guitar
Try adding more delay.
Quote by watchingmefall
How'd you know He said I was the only one.

Oh, he wouldn't mention me.

We go way back.

Waaaaaay back
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I started out on an electric but it just didn't feel like it was the right instrument for me. I started watching some music vids and trying to hear the bass and I eventually started to hear the bass and I thought to myself "that sounds WAY cooler than the electric guitars". I got a bass and it just felt like it was the right instrument for me. Now, a year later, I still play bass and have had no thoughts of playing the guitar.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
I bet 80% of these reasons are lies, some people are just afraid to say they chose bass because it's 'easier.'
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Tobbo
Seeing Jason Newstead playing My Friend of Misery

This was actually a big swinger for me. I picked up the bass not a week after. Then it was the first song I learned.

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I bet 80% of these reasons are lies, some people are just afraid to say they chose bass because it's 'easier.'

I did not want my fingers to get cut on the toy strings that the toy guitars use ><
Real manly cables are the way to go.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

IMO and IME guitar is easier for me. I learned on bass how to tremolo pick with my thumb, chords, flamenco strumming, two handed tapping and when I tried guitar it seemed pretty easy.
I played bass because I got one for christmas a few years back.

Little did I know how much I'd fall in love with it.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I didn't choose it because it was easier. You're probably an ignorant and arrogant guitarist.
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
I didn't choose it because it was easier. You're probably an ignorant and arrogant guitarist.

... But it is easier!

In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
... But it is easier!

Anything is as hard(or as easy) as you make it.

EDIT:Like how in many RHCP songs the basslines are often harder than the guitar part, but in bands like My Chemical Romance the basslines are just roots and the guitars are doing more difficult things.
Squier VM TB Bass
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Aug 10, 2008,
I bought a bass because practically nobody else my age in my area played it and I felt that it was extremely important for jamming or playing in a band.
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Anything is as hard(or as easy) as you make it.

EDIT:Like how in many RHCP songs the basslines are often harder than the guitar part, but in bands like My Chemical Romance the basslines are just roots and the guitars are doing more difficult things.

But even so... guitar is just so much harder than bass. I mean, it's got less strings!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

^ so so true

I started for a few reasons: The main reason was I was 3rd chair trumpet player in school band, the the trumpet players around me were talking about getting basses for christmas, at the same time my brother was getting a drum set, so I decided to learn bass. The other one was that my dad plays guitar with a bassist/banjo player (he doesn't play both at once ) the bassist is cooler than my dad, therefore I decided to play bass.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
i was getting so much pussy i thought to myself this isn't fair on everyone else, so i picked up bass and obviously i was instantly amazing at it but that doesn't matter no one notices the bassist. and that's how i sacrificed my own happiness for the happiness of those around me
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Nutter_101
But even so... guitar is just so much harder than bass. I mean, it's got more strings!
I meant that in most situations guitars will be harder than bass, but sometimes it's the reverse. Maybe some people chose it because it was easier, but I did not.
Squier VM TB Bass
Quote by Nutter_101
... But it is easier!

Dunno, it has less strings. but wait, isn't it harder to play something good on 4 strings than on 6 strings? not to mention the fret buzz and the (comparatively) giant frets.

I suppose there's the "but you can't play chords on bass" argument, but actually it's been shown you can tap them quite effectively on and, once again, it's harder on the bass than the guitar. and don't even get me started on slap.

So is the guitar a more versatile instrument than bass? Quite possibly.
Is it harder to play than the bass? hell no, that's just a myth perpetuated by bad guitarists who strum root notes to fill a gap in their band.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Because guys find tiny little women with big ol' bass guitars very, very sexy.

Duck Dunn told me so in a vision one night. After that there was no turning back.

And so I put down my teeny little easy Les Paul guitar and took up the biggest P bass I could lay my hands on.
The idea of a lower pitched instrument seemed awesome. Also, to be different, and my friends had guitars.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Page 1 of 3