Im thinking of getting a half stack soon, but my moms like "oh you cant take that to college its too big it wont be permitted to be in your dorm room" so I was wondering if you would be allowed to have one. I think you could as long as you dont play it loudly.
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Quote by ttreat31
Someone I know had a friggin organ in their dorm room.

I have a friggin organ in my pants, so what?

Do you really need a halfstack? I'm gonna get me a 50 watt combo, which is relatively portable, but it can be loud enough if you need it. A half-stack is overkill unless you play gigs three times a week, and no matter how big/small your amp is, you'll still have to mic it onstage.
i'll bet that there's rules on noise levels, especially with something that loud
stick with a practice amp for your dorm room, if you are gigging get the half stack but keep it in storage or something and use it for the gigs
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
yes you can have one

but:
a) dorm rooms are ****ing tiny....at least mine is
b) amps are louder than you realise. Even the dude in my building with the 10watt Ibanez thing manages to piss everyone off every so often (or at least our janitor)

though the janitor (who is more or less the boss of the building here) has threatened people with kicking them out for bringing in huge speakers (some new guy moved in in the middle of the year, had some festivities, ended up in "Either the speakers go our you do")
Dude, you really do not want to have a half stack in your dorm room.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
tbh mate i think you should just get a little combo,
cos theyre cheaper, easier to transport, and arent as much of a head
(both for you AND dorm mates lol)

Do you not have a Garage you can put it in at home?
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
I'm bringing a 75 watt, just so I can keep up with some of the drummers on my floor. Bring one loud enough for jamming, but not too loud for practice. If that makes any sense.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
I'm bringing a 75 watt, just so I can keep up with some of the drummers on my floor. Bring one loud enough for jamming, but not too loud for practice. If that makes any sense.

Can't any master-volume amp be "not too loud"?
If you adjust the levels carefully you can keep anything down. Might not sound best, and you may have a scratchy volume pot, but otherwise, it's fine.

Or get an attenuator. But if you're only gonna use a halfstakc with the attenuator, it's pointless getting the stack in the first place.
I'd wait 'til after college as well. Everything said here's been more or less true of my experience.

They are too big, too loud, they make everyone mad...
They're handy if you're gigging a bunch, but I did fine with a 30watt. Of course, my dorm was a giant, concrete building, so we got a lot of reverb off the walls. To be honest, by the third week of college, all I was playing was acoustic stuff anyway.

Either way, good luck in the dorms, and Peace. Out.
Classifieds mod said this didn't count as trying to sell anything, I'll say it here:

If you're looking to be able to take credit cards in-person (not over the internet where paypal will work), pm me and I can hook you up with the stuff you need.
It doesn't hurt to just ASK your school.

You would be able to bring it no matter what. The problem is playing and noise levels. From what I've heard, most universities don't mind most levels during the day time.

And about the organ story, I've heard of kids bringing a blow up pool into their room (and something about having to get rid of their furniture because there was no room)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
And about the organ story, I've heard of kids bringing a blow up pool into their room (and something about having to get rid of their furniture because there was no room)

in the apartment across the hallway from ours they once get a bunch of big plastic sheets and some rubber hose to hook up to the facets and turned the balcony into a swimming pool

edit:
http://sd4.sd-lj.si/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6539 [warning: hairy man chests]
Last edited by seljer at Aug 10, 2008,
my school has a rule that you can bring "stereos and amps not more than 150 watts".

i dont think they had my 40 watt hot rod deluxe in mind when they wrote that, but hey, my amps ONLY 40 watts, so im taking it!
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
Quote by no1flyhalf
my school has a rule that you can bring "stereos and amps not more than 150 watts".

i dont think they had my 40 watt hot rod deluxe in mind when they wrote that, but hey, my amps ONLY 40 watts, so im taking it!

its the speaker efficiency that makes guitar amps loud as hell for the wattage
my dorm had concrete walls and a friend had a halfstack and he could get it to like 3-4 and it wouldnt be THAT bad. I got a halfstack in an apartment but im afraid to turn it to 2 or i will destroy the people below me. Its all about the construction. Dorm rooms tend to be quite soundproof.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master