I apologize in advance if this was put in the wrong section. I'll gladly repost elsewhere. It might come out to be rather lengthy so thank you for reading.

So my situation is that I have played guitar for 4-5 months all the while taking lessons from a very skilled guitarist. Right from the start I told him that I wanted to learn both music theory and technique so I would be able to write and play my own music and have a deeper understand of other peoples music. So far he's done a great job and I'm making good progress. However, I'm at the stage that most people I imagine face where I want to start sounding like the music I listen to. I should backtrack a bit and tell you that I have played an acoustic the whole time to give me better finger dexterity and such. Anyway, I listen to a lot of alternative rock. My two favorite bands who I listen to and who am most influenced by are Radiohead and Muse. Now, Radiohead features an acoustic as the main guitar on many songs of their earlier CDs, but not so much more recently and Muse only uses electric. So, again because I want to sound something like them, I've been looking around for an electric guitar.

So really this post is a question as to what guitar I should get that would take advantage of my ability level (intermediate you could say) and my musical taste. Also, just to help narrow the choices down, I do have a price range and other factors I for sure want on the guitar.

First, I would "like" a tremolo bar on the guitar. Reason? I like to make cool effects and it is used in several songs I like. Its really not a make or break thing but I would definatly like one.

And second, I really don't want to pay more than 600 dollars for the guitar. I still need an amp to go with it (just a 15w practice amp) and i don't want to bust my wallet.

Just to help these are some guitars I've looked at.

I mean, its a strat. Nuff' said right? lol.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-S...10-i1148847.gc

All my friends swear by Schecter guitars so I checked this out. 24 frets sounds really cool too.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter...91-i1169290.gc

The only difference between this and the Schecter is the type of tremolo.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-R...26-i1167870.gc

This one isn't serious because I don't really have the money but If I did I would be very tempted to get it.
http://www.fender.com/products//sear...tno=0130050306

Thank you so much if you took the time to help me out
Links are bad.

Is $600 your budget for both the amp and guitar and are you looking for a vintage trem like on a Fender or a floating trem like you find on most superstrats (Ibanez, Jackson, etc)?

Also, no one is intermediate after 4-5 months of playing (except for the rare and random exceptions).
i would say go with a strat, i think a shcecter will give off a more brutal tone which wouldnt really work, seeing as muse and radiohead are more light distortion/ clean sounds. also i think a start if its HSS will give you more tonal abilities which i know radionhead and muse dive into a plethura of different tones in 4 songs i know of by muse none of them sound the same so in my opinion just get a strat, but in any case go out ot guitar cneter and play them tosee whihc one feels best for you. good luck with your first electric
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
okay, if your budget is about $600, i'd say go for a schecter. i own a Schecter C-1 XXX and its the best guitar i've played so far. theyre really durable and have great distorted tone, and a decent clean tone if you mess with your amp. second, NEVER go for a jackson. they suck, and theyre basically ****ty copies of ibanez. if you're looking to play music like muse, a strat would not hold up either. most Schecters have trem so i'd say go with that.
Quote by Evh330
okay, if your budget is about $600, i'd say go for a schecter. i own a Schecter C-1 XXX and its the best guitar i've played so far. theyre really durable and have great distorted tone, and a decent clean tone if you mess with your amp. second, NEVER go for a jackson. they suck, and theyre basically ****ty copies of ibanez. if you're looking to play music like muse, a strat would not hold up either. most Schecters have trem so i'd say go with that.

jacksons arent that bad. just the cheap cheap ones suck. just like ibanez if you ask me. but thats my opinion
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
yea definitly dont get a shecter if you like radiohead and muse.... a strat would be nice but if you want a tremelo, your gonna want to spend more money, cheap tremolos go out of tune really easily.
and a good practice amp to get would be a spider. its loaded with all the sounds you need to just try stuff out, which is good because your a beginner. but if you buy a line 6 spider any bigger than a 15 watt your wasting your money.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Thanks a bunch for the feedback. And no the 600 dollars doesn't include an amp, it's just a general range. Ha yea ok, I am still a beginner.

I've listened to some schecters being played and your right they do sound kind of harsh.
Its too bad that they dont make the telecaster plus anymore. That was nice because it had 2 humbuckers for the bridge and a single on the neck. Can anyone suggest something like that?
Quote by Greenwood991
Thanks a bunch for the feedback. And no the 600 dollars doesn't include an amp, it's just a general range. Ha yea ok, I am still a beginner.

I've listened to some schecters being played and your right they do sound kind of harsh.
Its too bad that they dont make the telecaster plus anymore. That was nice because it had 2 humbuckers for the bridge and a single on the neck. Can anyone suggest something like that?

id hate to go against what i said but, i believe shecter used to make tele copies with humbuckers so that would be good, other than that all the teles like that are probally out of your price range. thats all i can think of. if anything buy a cheap oll 10 watt amp for less than a hundred then find an electic body you like and buy pickups to match the sound you want, so i say get a cheap body for 300, get a hundred dollar amp and then take the other 200 and buy you some pickups (well maybe less since youll probally hve to pay for installation) and to figure out the type of pickups just start a new thread asking for what pickups would get a mus radio head tone and versatility.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
id hate to go against what i said but, i believe shecter used to make tele copies with humbuckers so that would be good, other than that all the teles like that are probally out of your price range. thats all i can think of. if anything buy a cheap oll 10 watt amp for less than a hundred then find an electic body you like and buy pickups to match the sound you want, so i say get a cheap body for 300, get a hundred dollar amp and then take the other 200 and buy you some pickups (well maybe less since youll probally hve to pay for installation) and to figure out the type of pickups just start a new thread asking for what pickups would get a mus radio head tone and versatility.

I really like that idea, thanks a lot. How can i just buy a body tho? Do you mean get a cheapish guitar but replace the pickups?
Well, I'll point you towards something I'm looking to buy within a week or two. The HSS Highway One strat.

It's an entry level American made electric, with the versatility you'll probably want.

The nitro paint may turn you off, though. Either that, or you'll love it. I've found it's been one or the other with most people. Make sure you try stuff out before you buy it. You've been playing acoustic a bit, so it should be easier for you to try out guitars than a complete beginner. But you really should try out a lot of guitars. Even guitars you wouldn't even think about buying. Have fun with it and good luck!
Quote by Greenwood991
I really like that idea, thanks a lot. How can i just buy a body tho? Do you mean get a cheapish guitar but replace the pickups?

basically unles you have access to ebay in which case theres a plethura of them on there
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
well my friend, i have a bit of advise for you. don't limit yourself to just electric. they are both amazing and limiting yourself to one just doesn't make sense. that said, don't limit yourself to one genre of music. also, i would recomend either an epiphone les paul, a strat, or a tele. i feel that shecters are more of a shred guitar but i don't have any experience with them so i might very well be wrong. another thing; for amps, i recomend the vox 15w amp to you. i'm going to buy one tomorrow and i tested it out today. they are awesome and have a wide variety of effects built in which will save you a lot of money on pedals and for the genre of music you listen to, it sounds like lots of effects will be useful. also maybe invest in a wah pedal.

i think your looking at around 500-700 dollars worth of gear to start you off with what i recomended.
Thanks Madshatter. Don't worry tho, I'm not abandoning my acoustic. I love it too much. I just want to expand a bit. I agree with you that Voxs are very, very cool amps. I had a chance to play one as well and it was a lot of fun to mess around with the effects. I don't think I'll like the single coils on the strat or tele, but the les paul or SGs look interesting. Im definatly considering getting one of those.