I asked Paul Gilbert on his website what he primarily taught Buckethead when he was his teacher.

"Lots of 3-note-per-string scales!

Thank you,

Paul"

(*Pause in awe that Paul Gilbert e-mailed me back*)

Does anyone have any good lessons on these type of scales, and should i learn the major and minor scales first?

Thanks!
thos are the seven note scales i believe
major
0--2--4
---2--4
-1-2--4
-1-2--4
0--2--4
if im correct those are three note per string scales, if im wrong im wrong cause i dont fully understand music theory so ill learn myself what they are
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
memorize every major scale first. you'll know all the minor scales too, because all major scales have a relative minor. for instance: G major = E minor, D major = B minor, etc etc.
and all the pentatonic scales, harmonic minor, melodic minor are just slight modifications to them really, so it's the best you could do.
and oh the modes are also the same as the major scales. practically speaking. not theoretically.

learn them all over the neck too, not just in certain positions.
Paul is such a sound guy!

I would start with the Major Scale, then Natural Minor and then through all the modes, before moving onto more exotic scales and their respective modes.

Pretty sure you'll find some helpful lessons on www.ibreathemusic.com
I think he means like

11-12-14-------------------------------------
-----------11-12-14--------------------------
----------------------11-12-14----------------

All the way up and down, but in a scale
I agree with what RCalisto said, but I also think that 3nps patterns are the most convenient and useful way to learn scales. This is the root position shape of a G major scale:

E-------------------------------5-7-8--
B-------------------------5-7-8--------
G-------------------4-5-7--------------
D-------------4-5-7--------------------
A-------3-5-7--------------------------
E-3-5-7--------------------------------

I'll leave it to you to figure out the other 6 shapes.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
I agree with what RCalisto said, but I also think that 3nps patterns are the most convenient and useful way to learn scales. This is the root position shape of a G major scale:

How do i figure them out?
Quote by Dreikant

Each posistion starts on a separate note of the major scale (if someone even mentions the modes, I will come to your house and kill your dog). So, if you already know the formula of the major scale, then just repeat it starting on a new interval. It will be much more benneficial for you in the long run to figure them out by yourself.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by Dreikant

Take the same notes and figure out where they are elsewhere on the fretboard.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My 3 Note Per String Primer:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595483

If you search for "threads by me" in my profile, I have a few other lessons that
extend the 3 note per string concept.

I agree with Paul Gilbert. 3 NPS scales have SO many advantages, you'd be kind
of nuts not to use them. You might not see these advantages right away, but
after working with them for a while they become apparent.
Quote by Iron_Dude

This is correct. Once you can get these all going up, as shown, start backtracking and going back down to the root note. When you can do that, start this pattern.

E------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------------
G------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------
A-----------7------------------7-8-10---
E-7-8-10----10-8-7-8-10--------------
   D U   D  U  D U  D U  D   U D U 
U= Upstroke
D= Downstroke 

So it's all alternate picked. 

Get it? You do the 3 notes per string then hit the first note of the next string. Come back down to the root, as shown, then go up and do the next 3 note series. All the way up the pattern, for all 7 patterns. Again, then go up and down the scale from root, to top note, back to root.

Now try with legato, just hit the first note every time you change strings.

Got it? Move up to going up one scale and down another, still using the pattern shown up there, hitting the 3, hitting one, coming back down, hitting the 3 and then the 3 on the next string, all the way up. Then find the top note of the next pattern on the fretboard and come back to the root note of the 2nd pattern. So you start on a B, go to top note, find top note of a C pattern, and come back to the C, the root note of the second pattern.

Still alternate Picking this? Even the Legato, Alternate the stroke, Up and Down even with legato. When you do pick on the legato pattern it should still be Down, Up, Down, Up, you just pick less. Remember, there's 3 notes a string, so you'll be hitting some upstrokes in weird spot. Do alternate pick, even if you're just going up the scale, 3 notes per string, Like I first explained.

Got it? Do the up one and down the next, legato, however move on to legato when you can do the alternate picking patterns in your sleep, it should be second nature

My guitar teacher has me do the up one down the next legato and it has hepled my playing incredibly.
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
Quote by WyldChylde
E------------------------------
B------------------------------
G------------------------------
D------------------------------
A--------7-------------7-8-10--
E-7-8-10---10-8-7-8-10---------
D U D U D U D U D U D U
U= Upstroke
D= Downstroke

So it's all alternate picked.

*fixed*

But yeah, if you want a good alternate picking technique, just follow what WyldChylde said.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Thanks for fixing. First time I ever used tags.

Anyway, also practice some chromatic stuff. I lack here so bad, when I try to play 4 notes per string, my fingers start playing 3nps, because I always play the 3 nps I talked about in the other post I made here. Doesn't matter where, but always hit some 4 note per stringers.
Quote by WyldChylde
Thanks for fixing. First time I ever used tags.

Anyway, also practice some chromatic stuff. I lack here so bad, when I try to play 4 notes per string, my fingers start playing 3nps, because I always play the 3 nps I talked about in the other post I made here. Doesn't matter where, but always hit some 4 note per stringers.

Yeah, I'm the same way, except with Eric Johnson style pentatonic runs. I spent so much time on 3nps excersises, I was neglecting my 2nps picking abilities!.

And no problem fixing it. Codes can be a pain in the arse.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Agree. Come to think of it, just get a copy of Steve Vai's 10 Hour guitar workout, and pull 2nps, 3nps, and 4 nps stuff. While you got the workout handy, look at all of it. Good stuff.