Can't decide. Is there a noticle difference between these 2?

I'm either going to get an Epi sg 1966 version, or a les paul standard. Used because I'm on a budget.

I heard you get a warmer sound out of the les paul, but it's also heavier. (I don't mind it being heavy)

and the SG looks nice with it's horns, but I'm mainly looking good tone, not looks.

I play classic rock, and some blues.
^
Do you by any chance know if the LP had a 50's style neck, or 60's?
get niether
they both suck along with fender

prs is the way to go
[img]http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/3096/asilaydyingsig5ey.png[/img]
-Wait, do you hear that?
-Hear what?
-The sustain.....

I'm not really a fan of either but I'd get a Les Paul.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
if you plan on playing shred stuff, go for the sg. the upper part of the neck on teh les paul is no good when it comes to fast sweeps and scale patterns.
but the les paul is just more fun to play Imo.
Quote by EyeHatePunks
60s neck and get the les paul for blues

My Sg Custom sounds great for blues, and pretty much anything for that matter

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Quote by FRDesign
Les Paul, I've had both and the LP is just so much more comfortable to play.

Both of them have a great tone (being close to the same, btw).

My bandmate's got a Gibson Les Paul Studio and sounds awesome. I've got a Gibson SG Standard and sounds great too.

But as I see it, the Sg is more comfortable to play. The upper-frets acces is perfect (no boundaries), it's a bit lighter too. Plus the Les Paul has got this little roundy horn that makes your ribs hurt a lot lol.

So I wouldn't say the Les Paul is specially more comfortable than the SG.
Quote by SnowFire
get niether

prs is the way to go

lol brands don't matter to me at all. (although prs's are pretty nice)

an better amp makes a bigger difference in sound then a guitar
id go with the lp, they'r very versatile and do everyting from metal to blues.
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
Quote by SnowFire
get niether

prs is the way to go

thank you for proving you know absolutely nothing about guitars. My Classic Player 60's strat will kick the SE series' ass any day.

As for the rest of the PRS's, they all cost over 2000 dollars, dont they?
honestly, the guy who said PRS has his head in the right place.

PRS' are probably some of the nicest guitars out there right now, and for CHEAPER than even a used gibson you can get a PRS' SE single or double cutaway.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
I wouldn't get either, they are overpriced and lack features you could get with a cheaper better guitar, sg can not have a floyd rose for one thing, it's not comfortable, it only has 22 frets, and trust me, after awhile it even looks hideous, lesp paul is heavy as ****, 22 frets, somewhat comfortable if you must have a les paul get the epiphone les paul prophecy, it's the only les paul to have 24 frets and emgs, if i were you i'd get an emg eclipse, it's les pual shape is lighter, for $600 you can have a guitar that will last a really long time, look good, play fast i think it's got emg 60/81 pair.
i had both and i returned them both and got a mim strat with no regrets .. but if you really have your heart set on epi then get a les paul .. the sg although played and sounded good also .. the neck heavy is annoying ..it makes your arm tired faster because your supporting the weight of the neck
take it easy man .. its just a thread
Quote by esp1234
lol brands don't matter to me at all. (although prs's are pretty nice)

an better amp makes a bigger difference in sound then a guitar

Well if brands don't matter, why are you looking at Epiphones?

What's your price range? There are a lot better guitars in the price range (and the PRS SEs aren't any of them - very underwhelming and overpriced in my opinion).

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Aug 10, 2008,
price range and style please?
cuz most of these people are just giving there personal preference, and u can't blame them because that's all they have to give if u dont give us any idea of what type of guitar ur looking for.
From $150 to $450. I'd like to keep under $400, but I'll make that extra stretch if it's worth it, and I went on lookin for epi's b/c I liked the designs
If you have a friends that have them why not borrow each one for like a week and see what feels best at the end of the week.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.