Page 1 of 2
I know that the classic 30 is not very well suited for metal, but with the help of an OD pedal can it pull it off? My only playing experience with a Classic 30 was playing one that had been retubed with tubes that cost more than the amp itself. It was able to pull it off, but I don't know how well it can pull it off stock. Also, if it can't be pulled off with an OD, will retubing it with some better preamp tubes be worth it? Thanks.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
I can get decent enough high gain tones with my Classic 50 and the MXR M108 10 Band EQ.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I can get decent enough high gain tones with my Classic 50 and the MXR M108 10 Band EQ.
What's the difference between the 30 and 50? If the 50 has a different tube configuration that might explain.
-Bugera 333XL 212
the 50 is a 50 watt amp. I think thats the only difference. The MXR 10 band has a gain control on it, which can act as a boost. So yes, it is perfectly capable of metal tones with a boost, or without.

I retubed my classic 30 head for 84 dollars with some high gain JJ tubes and it could easily do a metal tone.
what kind of metal? I got some doomy/stoner metal sounds (specifically Mastodon and The Sword) out of one with a Epi Sheraton. I'd imagine with a solid body guitar with higher output pickups could get it even crunchier. Maybe an OD to push it over the edge for modern stuff.

And it seems the only difference betweem the 30 and 50 are two EL84 tubes.
They have the same tubes.

EQ pedals are awesome.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Ghold125
how heavy of metal are we talking?
Mostly numetal. Something like System of a Down or some Buckethead metal tones (Think Botnus). Nothing that sounds totally saturated. I know that I will have to resort to a distortion pedal for saturated death metal tones, but I'd like to get as heavy as I can without having to resort to that.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by SoulDecay
the 50 is a 50 watt amp. I think thats the only difference. The MXR 10 band has a gain control on it, which can act as a boost. So yes, it is perfectly capable of metal tones with a boost, or without.

I retubed my classic 30 head for 84 dollars with some high gain JJ tubes and it could easily do a metal tone.
Could I possibly go for a cheaper EQ?
-Bugera 333XL 212
The thing with the c30 is that it's not really voiced for modern metal tones...
Quote by Ghold125
The thing with the c30 is that it's not really voiced for modern metal tones...
What do you mean by that exactly?
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
What do you mean by that exactly?

the classic 30 is vintage voiced
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
the classic 30 is vintage voiced
What amp would you suggest for the tones I'm looking for? (I'm looking at around $300-$400 used, and I would like to have fairly good cleans). I really want a Bugera 333XL but I simply don't have the money, and I can't find any used.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
What amp would you suggest for the tones I'm looking for? (I'm looking at around $300-$400 used, and I would like to have fairly good cleans). I really want a Bugera 333XL but I simply don't have the money, and I can't find any used.

the C30 it's pure sex
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
the C30 it's pure sex
Is that a Peavey?

Oh, Classic 30. I'm dumb.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
Is that a Peavey?

The C30 *is* the Classic 30.

I'm selling my Classic 50 if you're interested in that.

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by DDoug
Is that a Peavey?

the Peavey Classic 30=C30
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
the Peavey Classic 30=C30
Didn't you just say that it's not voiced for what I want?
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
Didn't you just say that it's not voiced for what I want?

i know but just change your tastes in music

if you play metal mostly, don't get a classic 30 in all seriousness, i venture into metal occasionally, but i love my classic rock/clean tones, so i got the classic 30
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
i know but just change your tastes in music

if you play metal mostly, don't get a classic 30 in all seriousness, i venture into metal occasionally, but i love my classic rock/clean tones, so i got the classic 30
Yeah, I started with a bit of blues, but as a continued to play metal started to grow on me.

But back to the first question: What would you recommend for me? I already stated my price range, and I plan to start gigging sometime in the future. I love the sound of the Bugera but I can't find one used.
-Bugera 333XL 212
I get real hi-gain british voiced metal (think the who but with enough bite/chunk to make dime be like WOAH) With a good OD and my C30 and JJS!

But the c30 is not voiced for modern metal.

Go for say that bugera...
Quote by Highwaytohell
I get real hi-gain british voiced metal (think the who but with enough bite/chunk to make dime be like WOAH) With a good OD and my C30 and JJS!

But the c30 is not voiced for modern metal.

Go for say that bugera...
*Sigh*

Looks like I'll just have to wait and save up for it.
-Bugera 333XL 212
not necessarily! luckily, i have an answer

Randall RG50TC!!!
50 watts of all tube madness
it's like a mini triple rectifier
I tried one and was like WOW the metal tone was amazing, and the blues tones weren't that bad either
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by DDoug
I love the sound of the Bugera but I can't find one used.

Well I would say keep looking and maybe open your options up a bit. You will see one sooner or later but you have to be patient.
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the Peavey Valve King..... and in with your limited budget and need for a more modern metal tone is probably the best amp a for you. Its definitely more modern voiced than the C30, but IMO the only thing the VK id better at than the C30 is metal. I think it will get more than heavy enough for what you are trying to do. Its for sure not my favorite amp, but for 400 dollars its really hard to argue, I don't think other amps compare in that price range.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the Peavey Valve King..... and in with your limited budget and need for a more modern metal tone is probably the best amp a for you. Its definitely more modern voiced than the C30, but IMO the only thing the VK id better at than the C30 is metal. I think it will get more than heavy enough for what you are trying to do. Its for sure not my favorite amp, but for 400 dollars its really hard to argue, I don't think other amps compare in that price range.
I tried one at GC and I didn't like the dirty channel at all. It was very weak to me.

And in regards to the RG50TC, I wouldn't be able to try one out seeing as I only have one decent store (being Guitar Center). Also, I've heard the cleans on the RG50TC aren't too good.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Can the c30 be quiet enough for the house?
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica
As long as you keep the volume on 1. You wont get the sound of saturated tubes, but it will be quiet enough.
-Bugera 333XL 212
In my experence, it can get nice classic metal tones, a-la iron maiden, black sabbath. However, it will not do modern metal very well. This is due the the vintage voicing of the amp.
I somtimes use 2 boosts with mine, and while I get heaps of gain, I get this very smooth tone that dosent work well for modern metal.

Quote by (Metal)lica

Yes, but the volume knob is very twichy at low volumes. Theres a tiny difference between too loud, and not loud enough for a nice tone.
I am thinking of replacing mine for this reason.
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park
Last edited by nezv6 at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by DDoug
As long as you keep the volume on 1. You wont get the sound of saturated tubes, but it will be quiet enough.

Then would it even be worth getting? I only play at my house.
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by (Metal)lica
Then would it even be worth getting? I only play at my house.
What styles are you looking to play?
-Bugera 333XL 212
Or would a peavey windsor studio be better suited for me?

edit: many versians of rock, sometimes metal, a lot of hard classic rock, and some soft rock, no punk.
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by (Metal)lica
Or would a peavey windsor studio be better suited for me?

edit: many versians of rock, sometimes metal, a lot of hard classic rock, and some soft rock, no punk.
I would definitely recommend it then.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Which, the peavey classic or the peavey windsor?
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by (Metal)lica
Which, the peavey classic or the peavey windsor?
I haven't heard the Peavey Windsor, but I would recommend the Classic 30. Also, check with someone who knows a little more than I before you make a decision.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
I know that the classic 30 is not very well suited for metal, but with the help of an OD pedal can it pull it off? My only playing experience with a Classic 30 was playing one that had been retubed with tubes that cost more than the amp itself. It was able to pull it off, but I don't know how well it can pull it off stock. Also, if it can't be pulled off with an OD, will retubing it with some better preamp tubes be worth it? Thanks.

I get some really nice thrash tones with an od. But to be honest, you'll be happier with something else for heavy metal
Page 1 of 2