I was shopping for a bass amp, after buying BACK my bass I had sold a week earliar (Don't ask!), and I saw a little 25 watt fender rumble for $190, and a used SWR LA12 60 watt for $125. I tried both, and the Fender sounded flat and weak, and the SWR sounded full and *ballsy*.

I picked up the amp, and it's a beast. I wanted to know if anyone else has an SWR amp, and what you think of them? Any feedback from owners of the LA series woudl be really appreciated.

I am a 15 year guitar player who recently switched over to the bass guitar on a whim basically in my late 20's, and I am tryinbg to define my tone, you know.
I bet you lost no money on that transaction. SWR's are fantastic, I absolutlely love them, the next amp I get will almost for sure be one.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Anjohl
I was shopping for a bass amp, after buying BACK my bass I had sold a week earliar (Don't ask!), and I saw a little 25 watt fender rumble for $190, and a used SWR LA12 60 watt for $125. I tried both, and the Fender sounded flat and weak, and the SWR sounded full and *ballsy*.

I picked up the amp, and it's a beast. I wanted to know if anyone else has an SWR amp, and what you think of them? Any feedback from owners of the LA series woudl be really appreciated.

I am a 15 year guitar player who recently switched over to the bass guitar on a whim basically in my late 20's, and I am tryinbg to define my tone, you know.

i have a SWR working man's 15 and an LA10 for practice. i do enjoy very much.
Too cool for a signature.
I have a SWR Working Pro 400 and a Working Pro 1x15. It's an awesome rig, but I hope to get a Working Pro 2x10 cab really soon. I've had it for about a month, and its really nice.

So, I guess I was saying that I've had no problems with SWR so far.
I have a SWR LA15, which is basically that amp, but with a bigger speaker and 40 more watts (100). I really like it, I used to be in a rock band, and it got good tone, and also in my current reggae band, I can get a real nice deep thump out of it.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it is only 100 watts. Which is only barely enough to keep up with a drummer.
I have an LA-12 as a practice amp myself. Before I bought it I tried every amp in the shop that fitted my specification, and this one came out way ahead of all others. It costs a bit more than most solid state amps of that size though.
Now I have it for about two years and it works absolutely fine and reliable. It's pure, warm and well defined sound has become the standard against I judge all other bass amps, and I haven't heard a lot that can stand the comparison.
If I would have to say something less flattering about it, I would mention the limited tonal possibilities. There is no gain or any other dial exept three basic tone knobs to shape the sound. It does the old school, regular bass guitar sound that is perfect for me, but someone who wants a wide range of sounds will need a lot of pedals and boxes to teach it manners.
Or another amp.
Thanks for that Marcel. I am already eyeing a Little Big Muff pedal, so the lack of gain doens't bother me. I had intended to get pedals, the digital amps arn't great for stage play, since you can't really change presets mid-song!

I am jsut curious, how much did you pay for yours? $125 seemed like a STEAL (Canadian dollars too!) for the sheer *warmth* the amp has. It doens't BOOM as much as the Line 6 I was eyeing first, but it has a MUCH warmer and organic tone.
Uh.......let me see. One Can$ equals about €1,60 (which is nice for it means the same formula applies that I use to convert Miles to Kilometers). I payed €350,- for it and you can have it for $125...... 125 km equals nearly ........80 miles????????
That means: Don't hestitate. Get one now!
Oh trust me, I am a man of action, I bought it that day. $125 Canadian is $63 pounds....

I just wanted to swap "war stories" about the amp, it is serving me well, and makes "My Friend of Misery" sound amazing!
Well done Anjohl. You have decided well.
No war stories here, I'm afraid. It's a trainer and I fear it won't stand much chance in a real combat situation. I haven't actually tested it there though. Maybe next time I'll take it to the band practise and see what it does when miked or plugged into the mixer. I don't really expect much of it, but then again; the little cube has surprised me more than once before.
Good luck mate.
It's BIG tho, that impresses me. I originally bought my bass without an amp...which I am realizing was a ****ing GINORMOUS mistake.

I am appreciating learning the nuances of fingering and fretting all over again (I played guitar for 15 years), it's great. I just need to get that darn slap technique down.