Hi - I've been computer recording for a while and am just getting back into real gear. I bought a valve junior, and was looking at different options - one thing I wanted to try was to get a boost pedal to overdrive the amp but turn down the volume very low. Do amps work like that? can you overdrive it by boosting the input but still keep it low? I'm assuming not but thought I'd ask before I run out and get a boost pedal.
the point in an od pedal is to make the tubes work more, so you will get some break up at lower levels if that's what you want to do?
Quote by tantamo
Hi - I've been computer recording for a while and am just getting back into real gear. I bought a valve junior, and was looking at different options - one thing I wanted to try was to get a boost pedal to overdrive the amp but turn down the volume very low. Do amps work like that? can you overdrive it by boosting the input but still keep it low? I'm assuming not but thought I'd ask before I run out and get a boost pedal.

yes you can. just find the right od pedal for the tone your looking for.
here's my next VJ add-on for my V3 Combo

L-PAD ATTENUATOR

A simple L-Pad Attenuator added to the back or anywhere it'll fit for a "built-in attenuator"... They're $9.00! Then you can turn the Amp WIDE OPEN and lower the Attenuator Volume as low as you want & still have a cranked up Tube Amp with fat rich distortion at low volumes! My 1st VJ was a Version 1 head with Bitmo Mods and JJ Tubes - my next one was a Version 2 combo and I sold em both on Ebay when I got my V3 Combo as this baby rocks... A built-in Attenuator is all I'm doing to this one.Simple to install and cheaper than the ones they're selling on Ebay for $60 (same L-Pad in a plastic case).

I also use my VJ with an ART STUDIO TUBE PRE-AMP (small little sucker - $30 from Musician's Friend) - you can overdrive the pre-amp by turning up the input and output and actually overdrive the 12AX7 in it - it not only will boost the cleans up to about 12:00 (amp volume) but when it's cranked up (the Amp) it'll boost the "SNARL" and volume too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Aug 10, 2008,
yeah, but if you really want to keep the volume low, an overdrive might be better so you're getting some dirt from the pedal as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love the Fulltone OCD stuff on youtube with the Vj. I just ordered an MXR Dyna-Comp so next month it will probably be the OCD. Month after that a phase 90. Not sure yet what to do about a Fuzz.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD