The action on the first 7 frets of my Strat seems to be too low. I get buzzing on the 4th 5th and 6th strings. I have a bad feeling that my nut was cut too low.

I'm going to take it in to have it looked at. Do you guys think a new nut will fix this, or is the problem much deeper?
seems like you need a bit of relief
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Try loosening the truss rod a bit. Another thing, though unlikely, is the neck has a hump in that area.

Anyway, if adjusting the truss rod doesn't help, take it to the tech.
When holding my Strat upright, and looking down the neck toward the body, which way do I want to turn the truss rod?
Thanks for the advice guys. About 3/8th of a turn did the trick. I know that seems like a lot, but it was way out I guess
Also know that you MAY need to re-do the intonation. I had a guitar that just wouldn't stay playable, so everytime I turn the rod to fix it, I had to re-do the intonation.

Needless to say, I sold it.
I'll replace the neck, before I get rid of this guitar...it just sounds too good.

What's the easiest way to check intonation?
It's a pain in the ass. The EASIEST way is to play the 12th fret on a string and then the 12th fret harmonic. If they are the exact same pitch, the intonation is perfect on that string (theoretically). If the harmonic is flatter than the fretted note, move the bridge saddle forward (I think; I always get it mixed up). If the harmonic is sharper than the fretted note, move the saddle back.

In my experience, however, several points must be tested so a 'happy medium' can be found. I test the 12th fret against its harmonic, the 19th fret against its harmonic, the string against the 7th fret of the string below it (octave), and the string against the 5th fret of the string above it (matched pitch).

Like I said: pain in the ass. Having a digital tuner simplifies things a whole lot, though (and mine was stolen ).
Last edited by Invader Jim at Aug 11, 2008,
I have a pretty nice digital tuner, so maybe it won't be too hard.

Basically, I'm testing to see if the fretted notes are making the correct pitches?