Hey, I like thrash/death metal and I'm having trouble writing songs. I can come up with some pretty cool riffs (imo) but nothing goes together. Anyone have any tips on connecting riffs and creating riffs that go together good?
use the riff you like then just mess around with it until u get something simialir or something u like that can go along with it and also u could mess around with the tempo...i find its easier to write a song off of one riff u really like
do you mean that when you play one riff then another riff, they don't blend well?
Ahh same thing with me, ive got all these cool ones and i tried to put them together and it sounds like a bunch of stuff randomley slapped together.

Was I was thinking of doing is maybe just find cords that are already in the riff.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Put the most melodic of your riffs in the refrain so in the verses you can put different riffs.

Thats a good stylish idea.
Quote by kevC4
Put the most melodic of your riffs in the refrain so in the verses you can put different riffs.

Thats a good stylish idea.

+1

Plus, what you can do, if the riff is short enough, take the riff, and play it a third higher, a fourth higher, or a fifth higher, or just try and move the melodic idea along the scale. One thing I do as well is I use big dissonant chords as markers to implement a new riff/"movement" in the song.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Pick a key, pick a chord progression then work your riffs round that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you just need a catchy chorus, and a verse that flows with it well. Just play back and forth between the verse and chorus until you think they work well.

After that just work out riffs that go in between, if you already have the verse and chorus that part is really easy
- Duvmunch
- Jackson RR24
- Marshall VS100 + Marshall 1960A Cab
Quote by Duvmunch
you just need a catchy chorus, and a verse that flows with it well.

he's doing death metal and thrash so a catchy chorus and flowing verses are not remotely important. it just has to sound like every other thrash or death metal song out there, ya know... with tons of palm muting and vocals that sound like the singer is constipated.
Put the drum beat on loop, repeatedly play a riff you've made along with it to get the feel and then just improvise (if you can).