Now I was wondering what everyones take on genres and sub-genres was.

In my opinion, I find sub genres are stupid as fuk. For example: Metal has many sub-genres aka...Death, Progressive, Thrash, Metalcore, etc. Who gives a ****, metal is metal.

For an example band where this exists, I choose you Trivium. They are metal, who cares if people think there thrash metal or metalcore, its all metal in the end.
Yes
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
It's not "just Metal".

Black sounds nothing like Death, Thrash sounds nothing like Doom etc.

Sub-genres are necesarry.

Get over it.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
It's not "just Metal".

Get over it.

This.

[/thread]
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by nickster66
Now I was wondering what everyones take on genres and sub-genres was.

In my opinion, I find sub genres are stupid as fuk. For example: Metal has many sub-genres aka...Death, Progressive, Thrash, Metalcore, etc. Who gives a ****, metal is metal.

For an example band where this exists, I choose you Trivium. They are metal, who cares if people think there thrash metal or metalcore, its all metal in the end.

and what about when you're trying to find similar sounding bands?

or trying to describe what a band sounds like to somebody else.

labels are there because they're convenient.

maybe people shouldn't be so close minded about genres, but genres themselves aren't a bad thing.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
maybe people shouldn't be so close minded about genres, but genres themselves aren't a bad thing.

Yeah they definitely help.

And plus how could I search for all the sick bands on myspace?
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
For some bands that have songs that sound very different from each other it is hard to say exactly what genre they are. Genres and sub-genres can be a pain in some cases.
No. Its to help to specify what sound each band is under even more. I like metal so if someone told me Trivium is metal then I'll start liking them only to have my hopes let down. If someone told they're metalcore I won't waste my time. I like metal but there are some sub-genres I like and don't like. If someone told me about a Thrash band then I have high hopes of liking them because I can already get some idea of what they are going to sound like.

For the record I've heard Trivium and I don't like them very much.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

SUB GENRES ARE ****EN STUPID.....(notice the caps to feel my rage). and for the comment about metalcore being metal..it is stupid ****s, its just classified as something different, but in reality its just metal.
Quote by eazy-c
It's not "just Metal".

Get over it.

Pretty much.

If you don't understand it, learn about it. Check out the recommendation threads in metal and hardcore if you don't get them.

Just because you don't understand them doesn't mean they have no right to exist.
I think it's just that, especially in Metal, subgenres get overbearing.

Like when people say "Slipknot isn't metal, they're post-death grindnumetalcore melodic dragonslayer tylenol gore fun happy crazy insanecore!" And things like that.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
GTFO, now.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by nickster66
SUB GENRES ARE ****EN STUPID.....(notice the caps to feel my rage). and for the comment about metalcore being metal..it is stupid ****s, its just classified as something different, but in reality its just metal.

Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by nickster66

they want you to believe that its actually hardcore
Sub-genres are sometimes necessary(i.e. Death, Thrash) but some are just plain stupid. You have a point there. I think that bands like Trivium and Bullet for my Valentine(Scream Aim Fire era) lean more towards thrash rather than metalcore.

All in all, it's still metal. I really don't give a shit whether it's "true" or not.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by nickster66

You're ****ing stupid.
Reported, this will only lead to flame wars indicating your stupidity.
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Craigo
It's not hardcore either.

but you still lose kvlt points for listening to it
Quote by Craigo
It's not hardcore either.

I cant believe its not butter!
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22

Quote by nickster66

but it's not just metal. it's got hardcore influences in it too.

subgenres allow you to be more specific when applying a label to a band to describe it's sound.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I think it's just that, especially in Metal, subgenres get overbearing.

Like when people say "Slipknot isn't metal, they're post-death grindnumetalcore melodic dragonslayer tylenol gore fun happy crazy insanecore!" And things like that.

my point exactly.
it's just a means of classification. i think it's good for someone trying to identify or describe a song. but on the other hand i don't like how people get stuck inside of one genre. especially artists. as a rule of thumb, i say let the music define the genre and not the other way around.
Also, let's take Punk and Pop-Punk. You think that the Sex Pistols sounds similar to Fall Out Boy? Case Closed. GTFO.
wtf is metalcore?
Quote by OrangePossum
Yep, it's Soviet UG versus bdfs05.

good luck.

Quote by bdfs05
fuck yea i got sigged

Quote by MyNameIsLame

When you're in the Pit, substitute any valid, reasonable answer with one of the following: fap, smoke pot, drink alcohol, rape, and/or murder.
Its like meat, you have beef, pork, etc, in the end its all meat, isnt it?
Like you, there are alot of different people, lets just start calling everyone "person" just because in the end we're all persons!
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22

Quote by nickster66

my point exactly.

well then you're not against subgenres themselves you're against close-mindedness and elitism.

Quote by element4433