I'm kinda curious when and what scale should I play over certain chords..I actually have a few questions =P

1. How can you tell which scale to use when you have a certain chord progression?

E.g. D# B C# G#

What scale should I be using?

2. Is there a set scale for a chord progression? I'm meaning, can you have one chord progression but there could be a few scale which can be played over it?

3. How many scales are there in the world of guitar? =P <-- just thought I would ask since I've heard/seen quite a few =|

Thanks ^_^
1. Are they all major? If you make the C# and G# minor and the D# a diminished, then you can use E major.

2.Yes, you can mix scales. Major and Mixolydian are close, and are often mixed, sometimes major pentatonic goes well with that too...

3.Lots. I've seen a list that was over 100. There's a lot.
3. there are 12 notes so asuming you only play 7 note scales thats ....a **** load of scales...then theres pentatonic, hexatonic (wholetone), 8 note (diminished half whole etc) 9 note scales (nine note augmented) so on and so forth...and each one of these can be played with ANY combination of the 12 notes of the chromatic scale......

so alot......

then theres a whole world of scales when you include microtones....but then your enering indian raag territory.... just dont even go there...
In order to determine what scale or scales you use over a certain chord progression, the simplest way is to list the notes of each chord and build the scale or scales based off of those notes.

For example: Gmaj Cmaj Dmaj Emin Amin Dmaj

The notes in those chords are GBD CEG DF#A EGB ACE DF#A

List those out in order and you have G A B C D E F# which is a G major scale, so you would use a G major scale.
Quote by one vision
1. Are they all major? If you make the C# and G# minor and the D# a diminished, then you can use E major.

2.Yes, you can mix scales. Major and Mixolydian are close, and are often mixed, sometimes major pentatonic goes well with that too...

3.Lots. I've seen a list that was over 100. There's a lot.

Yeah they're all major, is there another scale which I can use but without changing so much of the chord progression?
Quote by PSM
In order to determine what scale or scales you use over a certain chord progression, the simplest way is to list the notes of each chord and build the scale or scales based off of those notes.

For example: Gmaj Cmaj Dmaj Emin Amin Dmaj

The notes in those chords are GBD CEG DF#A EGB ACE DF#A

List those out in order and you have G A B C D E F# which is a G major scale, so you would use a G major scale.

Sorry, got lost after the order part =P..how did you get the notes?

I'm still quite a noob at these things so yeah ><"

Quote by SRVNumberOne

if they're all major then there's no one scale to use

oh right. oops ><"
Quote by Benji_Ho
Yeah they're all major, is there another scale which I can use but without changing so much of the chord progression?

I've got a fever, let me think about it.

EDIT: I can't think of anything. What chord/note does the progression resolve to? It sounds like it resolves to the C#, until we hit the G#.
Last edited by one vision at Aug 10, 2008,