Hmm. I'm playing some Duncan's through a Line 6 Spider 3. 15 watts, to be exact. I'm getting a nice new 100W Marshall for my birthday next week and I'd like to find a nice distortion pedal to run through it. I play stuff like August Burns Red and music like that.

What pedal do you recommend? Budget = $150.
If thats a marshall mg..

*major facepalm*
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica
If thats a marshall mg..

*major facepalm*

+1 What amp are you getting and why do you need a distortion pedal to run through it?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
aug08er.. hasnt been warned of the dreaded marshall MG100
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
If that 100 watt marshall is an MG then............. I would advise holding off on it and asking for an amp reccomendation here.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
I'm pretty sure it's an MG250DFX. I know they come with distortion and stuff as a second channel, but I want a really good pinch harmonic / metal sound. Gotta love those squealies. Lmao. :] But, uh, amp reccomendation? Is that a bad amp or something? Because if it is, I'ma need to know soon, so I can tell her NOT to buy it for my birthday. HAHA.
yeah, don't get an MG, they're terrible. how much money will you get for your present?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My mom told me she'd spend around $700 on me. She was going to get me that MG and some clothes. Then she said she'd buy me a set of Blackouts. So, I can go around $500, since I still want the Blackouts. What do you guys recommend?
^ agreed (haven't tried the b52, hear it's decent though).

some questions, though:

is that $700 including the $150 budget for a distortion pedal? if not, if you buy a high gain amp, you won't need a pedal.

i'd also skip the blackouts, if you already have duncan pickups, again with a good enough amp, you probably won't need new pickups.

i guess what i'm saying is, if you skip the blackouts, pedal, and clothes (), you could probably afford a peavey 5150/6505 or xxx (certainly second-hand). you're after a high gain metal sound, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, I was planning on skipping the clothes anyways. Clothes are gay. Lmao. She just has to have a little of everything though... you know moms. HAHAHA. But, uh, the $700 is WITHOUT my $150. But I'm looking for a heavier, modern-metal tone. Like, August Burns Red, and bands like that. A metalcore sound. :] So yeah, a Peavey 5150'll do it for me?
yeah, a 5150 would be close to perfect for that (at your budget, anyway). if you need nicer cleans, the xxx might be worth considering too (i can't find the combo version on any of the online USA guitar stores, though, for some reason), but it has a different distortion tone, you'd need to ideally try both to see which you prefer.

the 6505 combo (6505 is the new name since van halen left, it's the same as the 5150) is $1200, so you should be able to pick one up second hand for $800, if not less. as i said, i couldn't find any xxx combos to compare prices, but they should be even a little cheaper than that.

one other thing- on peaveys, pre-gain is for gain/overdrive, while post-gain is volume. it can be quite confusing if you aren't used to it, and it can make you think you can't get much distortion out of it (it's fooled me before).

EDIT: what duncans do you currently have?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by brettlockerhead
Dave, I was planning on skipping the clothes anyways. Clothes are gay. Lmao. She just has to have a little of everything though... you know moms. HAHAHA. But, uh, the $700 is WITHOUT my $150. But I'm looking for a heavier, modern-metal tone. Like, August Burns Red, and bands like that. A metalcore sound. :] So yeah, a Peavey 5150'll do it for me?

i play the same type of music... if you get a 5150..chances are, youll need a noise gate of some sort..im soon about to buy an isp decimator, (around $120) so consider that into your budget

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Oh, yeah. Tryin' 'em both, for sure. You can't go buy somethin' like THAT blindly. That'd be absolutely stupid. :] Yeah, my friend got a smaller Peavey from a friend, and he was PISSED because it was like, NO distortion AT ALL. I went over there and cranked up the pre-gain and he was like "OH ****! THIS ROCKS!" and I just started laughin'.

Uhm. I'm runnin' some "Duncan Designed" Active HB-105's. So they're not ACTUAL Duncans. That's why I was goin' for the Blackouts, although these shred pretty nice. :] Why do you ask?
ah ok. i was just wondering what they were, to see if it was worth switching. i'd still get the amp first to be honest, then if the amp doesn't do what you want, you know what you want the new pickups to do.

i just thought of another two amps which might be worth looking into- used mesa f-series, and a kustom coupe. Again, try before you buy.

agreed about the decimator, they're pretty useful for high gain.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah. I've heard a lot of good things about those Decimator pedals. I'ma definitely buy one of those pedals instead of some clothes. Lmao. :] One of my Art teachers has a Kustom Coupe in his Art class, and I get to mess around on that all the time. I might ask him to buy that before I do anything. I'm sure he'd gimme a discount since I'm such a good artist. HAHAHA. :]
Quote by brettlockerhead
Yeah. I've heard a lot of good things about those Decimator pedals. I'ma definitely buy one of those pedals instead of some clothes. Lmao. :] One of my Art teachers has a Kustom Coupe in his Art class, and I get to mess around on that all the time. I might ask him to buy that before I do anything. I'm sure he'd gimme a discount since I'm such a good artist. HAHAHA. :]

ah cool, that's handy, means you can try it easily.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?