I have a problem when I write lyrics/poetry. Whenever I write something I like, I normally think it's one of the best things I've written, or at least good enough to keep it in the context of the poem/song. However, sometime after taking a break from writing, I hate what I've written and scrap it completely.

I don't like doing this because I have a feeling that it might not be as bad as I think it is. Is this normal for any one else, and if so, how the hell do you keep yourself from scrapping everything?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
i used to, hell still have it. The thing is, have otherppl rate it and tell u how it is, etc. That always helps me
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
Yeah, but I'm also an insecure and paranoid person and if I show it to people who like me, I figure they would tell me it awesome and not point out anything wrong to help me.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
i commend you for being able to write them, i myself can never sit down and write i come up with a beat of sorts in my head then just make up words for the song while im walking aound. but i never write em down or record them. i think its remarkable that you cna even write stuff. but just from an outsiders perspective. it may be a good idea to either
a) get your friends who like poetry/music to listen, and or your band
b) psot it in the song writing lyrics threads of the site to get feedback which would get you your feedback.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Yea I have the same thing with music in general. I write something boss then a couple days later I hate it. It's because I spend so much time listening to it trying to perfect it, I just get sick of it. An awesome riff transforms into garbage without even changing it.
A man, a woman, and a bad musician walk into a bar...

Lady GaGa orders a beer.
An awful habit that every songwriter has, but if you want people to hear your stuff then you have to keep it.
Just remember, at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box
Quote by F8iscruel
i commend you for being able to write them, i myself can never sit down and write i come up with a beat of sorts in my head then just make up words for the song while im walking aound. but i never write em down or record them. i think its remarkable that you cna even write stuff. but just from an outsiders perspective. it may be a good idea to either
a) get your friends who like poetry/music to listen, and or your band
b) psot it in the song writing lyrics threads of the site to get feedback which would get you your feedback.
Well thank you, I'm a lyrical person and while I never think highly of myself, that is something I am proud of as all of my friends and most people I know generally listen to only the music or give little attention to the lyrics.

What I do is if I like something, I ask my friends and occasionally my sister what they think of it, they always say they like it. And then I start not liking it because I think they're trying to protect me or something. (These feelings are actually pretty good for writing).

I also always go a step deeper when writing lyrics that I can never say exactly what I want to say. For example, I came up with a lyrics of 'She has many things to say/And little words to use", I'd normally go a step deeper then that to try to make it sound better, but have trouble with that too. I digress though...

EDIT: And like those riffs(that the other member mentioned), I'm starting to hate that lyric even though I thought it was very good considering what I was trying to say.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
Well thank you, I'm a lyrical person and while I never think highly of myself, that is something I am proud of as all of my friends and most people I know generally listen to only the music or give little attention to the lyrics.

What I do is if I like something, I ask my friends and occasionally my sister what they think of it, they always say they like it. And then I start not liking it because I think they're trying to protect me or something. (These feelings are actually pretty good for writing).

I also always go a step deeper when writing lyrics that I can never say exactly what I want to say. For example, I came up with a lyrics of 'She has many things to say/And little words to use", I'd normally go a step deeper then that to try to make it sound better, but have trouble with that too. I digress though...

EDIT: And like those riffs(that the other member mentioned), I'm starting to hate that lyric even though I thought it was very good considering what I was trying to say.

that one line right there is perfect
she ha many things to say/ but little words to use. i dont really know what you mean by going deeper i would just add more like
she has many words to say/ but little words to use
she thinks she has no future/ and nothing left to lose
something like that
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
that one line right there is perfect
she ha many things to say/ but little words to use. i dont really know what you mean by going deeper i would just add more like
she has many words to say/ but little words to use
she thinks she has no future/ and nothing left to lose
something like that
Thanks for the help

The meaning is always kind of weird though, I often speak to myself when no ones around observing mundane things and sometimes I surprise myself by saying things relevant to something I want to write, or myself in general.

What that lyric came from was I was talking to my cat(I know, I'm insane, and I like it), and she started crying in different pitches and I just blurted out "You know you have a lot to say, and very little words to use".

I mean that happens a lot. And once again, I digress...
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
Thanks for the help

The meaning is always kind of weird though, I often speak to myself when no ones around observing mundane things and sometimes I surprise myself by saying things relevant to something I want to write, or myself in general.

What that lyric came from was I was talking to my cat(I know, I'm insane, and I like it), and she started crying in different pitches and I just blurted out "You know you have a lot to say, and very little words to use".

I mean that happens a lot. And once again, I digress...

no its cool people are inspired by different things, and thats a great interpretation of your surroundings. i could never do that. see when ever you write just think about your lyrics as if you didnt write them (i know it sounds crazy but you said you are so hey jsut throwing it out their) and react to them how you would react to someone else lyrics if you heard them, it just might work.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
no its cool people are inspired by different things, and thats a great interpretation of your surroundings. i could never do that. see when ever you write just think about your lyrics as if you didnt write them (i know it sounds crazy but you said you are so hey jsut throwing it out their) and react to them how you would react to someone else lyrics if you heard them, it just might work.
One of the other problems is though that I just can't NOT go in deeper. One thing I want to do in my poetry/lyrics is to make people think about what they just heard/read. I don't want it to be so obvious that what I'm trying to say is right in front of you.

For example; http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=2807&offset=25&page=2#comments

That's a Syd Barrett song, and he's greatly inspired me when I look into his lyrics. At a first glance, what he writes just sound like mad rambling and exotic imagery, but really do have a meaning behind it. That's something I want to be able to do, just I feel like I sound pretentious sometimes when I do in depth.

Lol, I'm messed up(Meaning, perfect for writing )
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
One of the other problems is though that I just can't NOT go in deeper. One thing I want to do in my poetry/lyrics is to make people think about what they just heard/read. I don't want it to be so obvious that what I'm trying to say is right in front of you.

For example; http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=2807&offset=25&page=2#comments

That's a Syd Barrett song, and he's greatly inspired me when I look into his lyrics. At a first glance, what he writes just sound like mad rambling and exotic imagery, but really do have a meaning behind it. That's something I want to be able to do, just I feel like I sound pretentious sometimes when I do in depth.

Lol, I'm messed up(Meaning, perfect for writing )

i think i kind of get what you mean like have a subtext to what your writing. kind of like every breath you take where you hear it on the rim it osunds like this but take a look inside it sounds like that. and i think to do that its all about presentation. and to do that ireally dont know im more of a blunt guy. not to sound pretentious but i kind of think of myself how james hetfield was in the pre black album metallica just coming up with lyrics ot riffs. so ive never really had the urge or need to sit down and write lyrics they just come to me. albeit its a little harder for me to play the riffs i make up to go with them because i dont know how to transpose all that well from word and sound to note and rythme in a musical since. sorry i really cant help you with that all that much i would. but seriously if you write something about this, and give it a beat that sounds like that it would basically be like doing what your trying to do i think. if im getting this right
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724