Old computer (Windows 95) help, transfering files to current computer.

I hooked up our old Windows 95, our very first computer, earlier, and I went to see what was still on it. My brother and I used to play Starcraft quite a bit. We have 1,500-something maps on our old computer. I want them on our current computer, which has less than 50 Starcraft maps, and I don't wish to spend years getting another 1450 on a dial-up computer.

Here's my problem. The old computer has a CD drive and a floppy drive. Nothing else of use, besides two USB ports in the back. (Computer 1)

Current computer has two CD drives, many USBs, and no floppy. (Computer 3)

We have one other computer which I occasionally use that has a CD drive, a couple USBs, AND a floppy drive. (Computer 2)

My question is, what would be the best way to get files from the old computer (which has no CD burner) on to our current one? I've managed to transfer 11 maps via a floppy disc, but when I tried it again, after I put it in the middle computer (to put on a CD-RW), it could not read the floppy. Well, it could read it enough to display what files were on it, but not enough to copy said files on to the computer.

This may be because when I was removing the floppy from computer 2, the metal piece which shifts over broke off inside, and I had to remove it with two pencils. I don't know if I damaged something, or what, but now it won't read that floppy. I have, however, only tried two different floppy discs, so it may be the discs that are the problem.

I also tried plugging my iPod in to the USB port on computer 1, to see if I could put the files onto there (since an iPod (mine, anyway) is essentially a 4 gig hard drive that can play music), but no window came up, and there was no way (such as My Computer) to directly access the USB port. In My Computer, there is the A drive (Floppy), C drive (Memory), and D drive (CD), but no extra drives. On computer 3 (and most other computers nowadays), there are actually other drives (up to J, on mine) for these purposes.

I'm not sure if there is a way to access the USB ports, so I don't know if I can use them. I could use them before years ago with game joysticks (G-Police was an awesome game), so they must obviously work.

So, geeks and/or computer technicians of the Pit, what are some ways that I could get my beloved Starcraft maps on to my computer?

And sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Quote by LinkManDX
iTunes has an option which allows the iPod to be used as a hard drive.

Erm... You already CAN use it as a hard drive, just by exploring the drive the iPod is connected to and dragging files into it.
In a similar vein as the first person to respond to the post, I recommend a portable hard drive I got one because of a similar issue only in my case it was a bunch of songs I didn't want to lose. I have 1 and it alone holds about 15,000 songs I have and over a 100 movies and a bunch of TV series. A great investment and you'll never have to worry about stuff like this again. And since you have a usb port you shouldn't have any problem connecting it.
Quote by LightxGrenade
In a similar vein as the first person to respond to the post, I recommend a portable hard drive I got one because of a similar issue only in my case it was a bunch of songs I didn't want to lose. I have 1 and it alone holds about 15,000 songs I have and over a 100 movies and a bunch of TV series. A great investment and you'll never have to worry about stuff like this again. And since you have a usb port you shouldn't have any problem connecting it.

What if, like I said, there is no way to directly access the USB port? I don't know what drive it would be. The only way I know of to access it is to actually have a window automatically pop up upon having it connected, which didn't happen with the iPod.
8 gig pny flash drives for 28 bucks at staples...in america
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
I would say:

1. Install a cd burner[new cd writer]
2: usb keys?
3: removing the hard drive of the old pc and putting it to the new one [worked for me] just dont damage anything
Quote by kevC4
I would say:

1. Install a cd burner[new cd writer]
2: usb keys?
3: removing the hard drive of the old pc and putting it to the new one [worked for me] just dont damage anything

Could a computer with a 6 gig hard drive even be able to use a CD burner? There are only like 800 free megabytes, and I don't know how much Nero takes up, exactly.

I'd say something with the USB port would be fastest, but a portable HD would be a waste with my iPod.
Quote by justin129
Can't you hook up your old hard drive to your other hard drive and transfer the files from there? As how to do that I have no clue.

You... don't know much about computers, do you?

If the computers were connected via LAN I could do it that way, but they aren't. They don't share a router, as only computer 3 has the internet. All 3 computers are completely separated (even though 1 and 2 are three feet away from eachother upstairs in my room, and 3 is downstairs in the living room.)
If you have a big enough Flash Drive you can do it, or do it like I did with my 2 gig, one trip until it was full, unload, then load it up again and transport.
Quote by Eric 666
If you have a big enough Flash Drive you can do it, or do it like I did with my 2 gig, one trip until it was full, unload, then load it up again and transport.

I'm sure any flash drive would do; all the maps together are only about 160 mb.

I'm just worried that maybe the USB ports won't work anymore...
Quote by Msu_Man04
Could a computer with a 6 gig hard drive even be able to use a CD burner? There are only like 800 free megabytes, and I don't know how much Nero takes up, exactly.

I'd say something with the USB port would be fastest, but a portable HD would be a waste with my iPod.

My first computer had an 8GB hard drive with a CD burner. I remember I just used the built in burning software (XP) but installed Nero 5 or 6 after.

I say just buy a flash drive. You can get a 2-4GB stick for about $20-30.
Quote by Msu_Man04

If the computers were connected via LAN I could do it that way, but they aren't. They don't share a router, as only computer 3 has the internet. All 3 computers are completely separated (even though 1 and 2 are three feet away from eachother upstairs in my room, and 3 is downstairs in the living room.)

I know quite a bit really.

That was just something my uncles suggested to do to get files from my freinds computer onto mine to save until he got his fixed. Maybe I misunderstood him.

You could maybe Upload it in an email and send to another email address and download it from the computer you wish to put it on.
Quote by justin129
I know quite a bit really.

That was just something my uncles suggested to do to get files from my freinds computer onto mine to save until he got his fixed. Maybe I misunderstood him.

You could maybe Upload it in an email and send to another email address and download it from the computer you wish to put it on.

Only computer 3 is hooked up to the internet.
Quote by justin129
Can't you hook up your old hard drive to your other hard drive and transfer the files from there? As how to do that I have no clue.

Wait, why don't you do this?

If your new computer uses a SATA hard drive, just take the old hard drive and IDE cable and open up the case of your new computer and attach IDE to mobo and other end to the HD. If your newer computer also uses IDE, just hook up the second drive as a slave and configure your BIOS to boot from the master. You might need a jumper though if your BIOS doesn't support that.

Edit:
Quote by Msu_Man04

Do you know much about computers?
I've done this before and can tell you that it works, as long as you know what you're doing.
Last edited by acersucks at Aug 10, 2008,
my computer friend did this for me he removed the old hard drive bought a special cable for it hooked it up to his computer removed what we wanted from it wiped it wiht a magnet and voila
Quote by acersucks
Wait, why don't you do this?

If your new computer uses a SATA hard drive, just take the old hard drive and IDE cable and open up the case of your new computer and attach IDE to mobo and other end to the HD. If your newer computer also uses IDE, just hook up the second drive as a slave and configure your BIOS to boot from the master. You might night a jumper though if your BIOS doesn't support that.

Sorry, that made no sense to me.

Though I assume it involves the computers to be next to eachother, which they definitely are not.

They both are Gateways, just with a 10 year age gap, so does that up the chances that that would work?

Quote by acersucks
Do you know much about computers?
I've done this before and can tell you that it works, as long as you know what you're doing.

Yes, but not THAT much. However, the way he said 'Just hook the hard drives up' sounded rather... uneducated, I suppose.
Last edited by Msu_Man04 at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by Msu_Man04
I'm sure any flash drive would do; all the maps together are only about 160 mb.

I'm just worried that maybe the USB ports won't work anymore...

well try it out, do you have one?
Quote by Eric 666
well try it out, do you have one?

I connected my iPod to one of the USB ports, and did a scandisk on drives e through h on the command prompt, and it said there was no drive located or something like that ('Please specify another drive by using a different letter'), so I don't know. Or my iPod just may not be compatible with the old 95er.

EDIT: And no, I don't have a flash drive. I know someone that does though. But then again, they don't cost much, do they?
Quote by Msu_Man04

Though I assume it involves the computers to be next to eachother, which they definitely are not.

They both are Gateways, just with a 10 year age gap, so does that up the chances that that would work?

No, they don't have to be next to each other. Try this:
- open up your new computer (make sure you turn it off and take out the power supply cable) and check for one of these:
edit: can't hotlink I guess (just search google images for "IDE")
(might be another colour)
- if it has an empty IDE port, then open up your old computer, take out the hard drive, along with the IDE cable (detach it from the motherboard) and attach it to your newer computer
- if your newer computer also has an IDE hard drive, look at the cable (like the flat one shown in the pic, and in the middle, you should see a "Slave" connection
- plug the older hard drive into the slave port
- turn on the computer and enter BIOS (press F1, F2, Esc, Del, or whatever it prompts you to) and configure the boot order as Primary Master HD first) note thought that some BIOS's don't support this feature) I have tried doing this on a BIOS that didn't and it would work sometimes (as in the BIOS would only sometimes boot into the first hard drive and the contents of the second drive would be readable)

If it does boot up, open up (My) Computer and browse to the second HD and copy whatever files needed. These instructions might not be that clear, but check and tell me what kind of connection your computers have and then I'll be able to further help you. Also check your BIOS settings in the newer computer and tell me what some of the options available under "boot order" are.
Last edited by acersucks at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by Msu_Man04
I connected my iPod to one of the USB ports, and did a scandisk on drives e through h on the command prompt, and it said there was no drive located or something like that ('Please specify another drive by using a different letter'), so I don't know. Or my iPod just may not be compatible with the old 95er.

EDIT: And no, I don't have a flash drive. I know someone that does though. But then again, they don't cost much, do they?

You need to download a driver to make it work on Windows 95, just google search it, that's how I found out.
Quote by justin129

No.... You would hook up both hard drives to the motherboard. It doesn't matter how many hard drives there are, they all get hooked up in the same way.

You could put the old HD in your newer PC, boot up, and drag and drop the files.
cant you just buy a usb cable that trasferss the files from one to the other ive seen them before, you plug the usb in both computers and bingo there you go, ill go see if i can find one/

EDIT: here this one wont work with 95, maybe with some drivers it will, but at least you know what im talking about

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=275561
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Aug 10, 2008,
Quote by acersucks
No, they don't have to be next to each other. Try this:
- open up your new computer (make sure you turn it off and take out the power supply cable) and check for one of these:
edit: can't hotlink I guess (just search google images for "IDE")
(might be another colour)
- if it has an empty IDE port, then open up your old computer, take out the hard drive, along with the IDE cable (detach it from the motherboard) and attach it to your newer computer
- if your newer computer also has an IDE hard drive, look at the cable (like the flat one shown in the pic, and in the middle, you should see a "Slave" connection
- plug the older hard drive into the slave port
- turn on the computer and enter BIOS (press F1, F2, Esc, Del, or whatever it prompts you to) and configure the boot order as Primary Master HD first) note thought that some BIOS's don't support this feature) I have tried doing this on a BIOS that didn't and it would work sometimes (as in the BIOS would only sometimes boot into the first hard drive and the contents of the second drive would be readable)

If it does boot up, open up (My) Computer and browse to the second HD and copy whatever files needed. These instructions might not be that clear, but check and tell me what kind of connection your computers have and then I'll be able to further help you. Also check your BIOS settings in the newer computer and tell me what some of the options available under "boot order" are.

There's one thing. The new computer isn't really mine, it's more my dad's and step mom's and I doubt they would be up for that sort of thing. We'd have to disconnect the computer from everything to get it out of the tiny space that it is in, bring it out of the place it is (in a large walk-in closet) and then mess around with it... Not so sure I could do that.
Quote by Msu_Man04
There's one thing. The new computer isn't really mine, it's more my dad's and step mom's and I doubt they would be up for that sort of thing. We'd have to disconnect the computer from everything to get it out of the tiny space that it is in, bring it out of the place it is (in a large walk-in closet) and then mess around with it... Not so sure I could do that.

Then usb flash drive is probably the safest method.
Quote by Msu_Man04

Yes, but not THAT much. However, the way he said 'Just hook the hard drives up' sounded rather... uneducated, I suppose.

Don't criticize him when you don't know that much either.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Whew.

Sorry to revive this old sucker, but I recently was given a flash drive, and today I decided to try plugging in the flash drive to the old computer.

The drive lit up for a second (it has a light that turns on when it's plugged in), then the light turned off. The computer, naturally, could not find it.

So does this mean i'll have to download some kind(s) of driver(s) to get it to work? It's a 4 gig hard drive; it should be fine if i can get it to work.
I got halfway down the thread before the old adage became glaringly obvious yet again:
The Pit is not a doctor/lawyer/pc tech.
Go to the computer thread.

However, what I will say is, you clearly don't know THAT much about computers, seeing as you called someone out on it earlier.
The solution is posted somewhat and possibly completely further than I read:

Using a usb stick/hdd could be the easiest, but it probably won't be. 95 doesn't have mass storage drivers. In fact, it wasn't until 98SE that Windows had native generic drivers.
Your iPod WON'T work. It's hard enough to get em working in 98SE, 95 you have little/no chance.
Your USB ports obviously work if joysticks work in 'em.

Easiest ways would be to pull the harddrive and either get an IDE-USB cable or plug it into one of the other pcs, but if they're newer and therefore SATA based the USB is the only option there.
Either that or local networking...

To be honest, and not insulting, just truthful, based on the posts I've read of yours I'd be getting someone else to do it for you, or to download them in an internet café and transfer them from there on a cd/memory stick.
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.