Master both. You should practice everything using all picking, all legato, and any combination of the two.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RGA121
Vetta II HD
Obviously mastering both is good. I mean if you had a choice in a lick to use one or the other, which one is better? Is it better for me to use HO & PO because I'm more comfortable with it?
it doesn't go just like that. it's about what sound you would like it to have. legato has a much softer sound, and flows better. if that means anything :P
picking is just heavier. sounds 'more there', and can give a nice sound to a solo or whatever. you know, you just have to try it out, no1 can decide for you
Quote by fob12
Obviously mastering both is good. I mean if you had a choice in a lick to use one or the other, which one is better? Is it better for me to use HO & PO because I'm more comfortable with it?

They produce different sounds, and which one you use is your choice; it helps develop your personal playing style. If you're practicing an already-written song, I'd say pick when they do and use legato when they do, but if you want to put your own spin on it, go ahead.

Basically, use whatever you want. My response probably doesn't help, but it's true.
Well obviously both are necessary. I mean it's not like you can legato a single-note lick. Picking sounds percussive, while legato gives a nice liquid-y smooth feel. Listen to Malmsteen playing to get a feel for what this sounds like.
Whenever I first try a song, I pick everything, even the stuff I know is a hammer on or pull off. It helps me warm up and for me it's a real confidence builder since I'm better at HO's and PO's than picking. If I can pick it all perfectly, then the HO's and PO's should be easy for me.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Practice both of them, they each have their situations in which they will sound better.