So, as the title suggests, I finally got a 5150 after playing a Pod xt live thru a 30w Kustom solid state for like the last 3 years.

I got the combo btw. on ebay for $750 which was an absolute steal. (A new 6505 is something like $2800 and used 5150's usually go for $1500)

I have to say though. I'm not that overwhelmed with it. Like it sounds SLIGHTLY better. and pinch harmonics come through better. It takes up half my friggin bedroom. Its very midrangey sounding.

Its so loud that i keep it below 1 which is probably killing all the tone. It makes a lot of hiss and i was gonna use the noise gate on the pod but as soon as i plug the pod in anywhere it loses tone and i might as well be playing my solid state.

Any ideas what i can do? Buy $1000 worth of pedals? Re-tube, Re-speaker? Get a proper guitar? (Mine cost $400, which to all you americans, is a $200 guitar). Attenuator? (VERY expensive, plus its a Combo so i think this would require a professional).

The previous owner said the tubes are at least 3 years old.

PS. Also to other 5150 I / 6505 owners, Where is your presence set? I was so depressed when i got the amp home and started playing it and the tone was just so dull, but i found that the character changes completely when the presence reaches 9 and above. This was much better and as far as i can tell i don't think anyone would use presence lower than this. (The kind of tones i regard as good are your Trivium Ascendancy tones (actually no, that's the BEST tone ) or LoG, or BFMV. I thought that's exactly what i would get when i got the amp...)

Thanks for reading.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
you're keeping it at one
Thats why

also, i've heard that putting new speakers in helps a bit, as well as a retube

But it's mostly that you're keeping it at one and probably maxing the pre-gain
3 year old tubes!
Might want to change those.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
i would retube, and put it up to 1.5 to make it get its nice sound
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Yeah i am putting the pre gain at about 8.

Maybe i can play at 1.5. My parents won't be happy but 1.5 is bearable i guess.

I guess i have a common complaint as well about the highs being very sharp and icepicky, not really smooth at all, which gets worse at higher volume.

Some vintage 30's then?
Quote by Nutman69

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
black widows are nice, go play some cabs and see how you like them!

andd you wouldnt have to be cranked for long, just so u can actually hear your amp because its a HUGE difference
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
You could get an attenuator. It'll be worth it in the long run to be able to crank your amp, but keep the volume low.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I think you should go in this order:
1) re-tube
2) new guitar
3) new speakers
4) attenuator
(give or take 3/4 interchangeable)
whats that do?

noob question*
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by 123-Trav
Yeah i am putting the pre gain at about 8.

Maybe i can play at 1.5. My parents won't be happy but 1.5 is bearable i guess.

I guess i have a common complaint as well about the highs being very sharp and icepicky, not really smooth at all, which gets worse at higher volume.

Some vintage 30's then?

Vintage 30s will only make the ice picky highs worse.

You'll definitely want to open up the amp a bit volume-wise. You want to work the output stage and push the speakers as well to get the best sound out of it. Probably want to invest in an attenuator as well.

IlovemySG:

I assume you're asking about an attenuator? It is a device that lets you crank your amp at low volumes. It goes between your speaker and amp and dissipates some of the amp's output power, thus lowering the volume going into the speaker but allowing the player to still turn up the master and get a cranked amp tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 11, 2008,
I had that problem, keeping the Presence really high. That's sort of why I'm selling my 5150, because I was trying to compensate for it being dark with the Presence knob, which just doesn't work. And the 5150 is extremely middy, I keep them under 5 no matter what.

In your situation, I'd save your money for a "proper" guitar. I got so used to playing mine with EMGs that after I went back to my old guitar with some crappy pup, I didn't wanna play through the head with that guitar anymore.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Turn the preamp gain down to 5.
Boost the front end with an Overdrive pedal.
Silence the hiss and hum with a Noise Suppressor.

Then look at getting some new preamp tubes.

The speakers are fine. Leave them in there.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
This is why on here im always telling people who are playing in their bedrooms to not get amps like this and I get slammed for it everytime. Tube amps sound good loud.
I call dibs on the amp if you sell it!!!!!!!!!!!!
But yeah if your after a modern metal tone then the 5150 should be right up your ally.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by al112987
Vintage 30s will only make the ice picky highs worse.

You'll definitely want to open up the amp a bit volume-wise. You want to work the output stage and push the speakers as well to get the best sound out of it. Probably want to invest in an attenuator as well.

IlovemySG:

I assume you're asking about an attenuator? It is a device that lets you crank your amp at low volumes. It goes between your speaker and amp and dissipates some of the amp's output power, thus lowering the volume going into the speaker but allowing the player to still turn up the master and get a cranked amp tone.

oh thats cool thanks alot, its pretty much for the bedroom guy

expensive?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
lol @ some ****ty generic metalcore tone being called the best tone.

anyways, i returned my 5150 because it sounded ****ty without cranking it full blast and im now in the process of getting an engl fireball
Quote by ilovemySG
oh thats cool thanks alot, its pretty much for the bedroom guy

expensive?

I wouldn't say for the bedroom guy. More for the bedroom, small-medium gig guy, Marshall guy.

Basically players want to crank their amps but need to keep it at a reasonable volume. You can't go to a gig and turn a plexi to 10.

They're a few hundred USD.
sweet, thanks for the info =]
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
get an attenuator

or turn it up to 7

it'll actually remove your face
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Thanks for all your replies guys. Yeah i've heard people say that a tubescreamer and noise gate can improve the 5150 a lot.
On my pod i was running the 5150 model with a tubescreamer and it was the best tone i ever got out of it.

I agree with what you say solidsnake15. I am sort of regretting getting such a big loud amp now given i only play in my bedroom. I actually enjoy playing guitar less since i got it. What alternatives would you suggest though? Go back to solidstate?
Quote by Nutman69

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
You should get a valve junior and use the pod through it.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
This is why I wish:

1. People would try amps before they buy
2. People would stop blindly recomending 5150's when the word metal is mentioned.
3. People would stop having pre gain at 1000 and presence at 563 then complain it sounds terrible.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Just proves amp modeling has come along way if you wernt impressed by the 5150 tone. If it aint making ya happy theres no reason to have it so sell it if it's doing jack **** all takin up so much room.
Quote by jambi_mantra
This is why I wish:

1. People would try amps before they buy
2. People would stop blindly recomending 5150's when the word metal is mentioned.
3. People would stop having pre gain at 1000 and presence at 563 then complain it sounds terrible.

Yeah but,

1. Nowhere around here has much except marshalls and line 6's
2. What would you recommend?
3. It sounds terrible if you don't!

4. I want an ENGL.
Quote by Nutman69

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Dude.... Billy Hydes stocks engl, I'm sure there's one of them within an hours drive, if not theres heaps of really high quality demos of engl amps all over the net. Also check out melband if your after a second hand engl. There's a few screamers and a blackmore for sale over there at the moment.
good luck bro
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by 123-Trav
Yeah but,

1. Nowhere around here has much except marshalls and line 6's
2. What would you recommend?
3. It sounds terrible if you don't!

4. I want an ENGL.

I have no response to the first one, as that is a bugger

2. Depends what kind of tone you're after.

3. No it doesn't. I have pregain at 5 and presence on 0 and it sounds awesome to me.

4. I want a Diezel
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra

3. No it doesn't. I have pregain at 5 and presence on 0 and it sounds awesome to me.

this is very true....well, my presence is at like 6.5/7 but my pre is at 4 for bedroom levels and it sounds loads better...cant wait to crank it....too much gain is fizzfest

TS: you should listen to this guy

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by 123-Trav
Thanks for all your replies guys. Yeah i've heard people say that a tubescreamer and noise gate can improve the 5150 a lot.
On my pod i was running the 5150 model with a tubescreamer and it was the best tone i ever got out of it.

I agree with what you say solidsnake15. I am sort of regretting getting such a big loud amp now given i only play in my bedroom. I actually enjoy playing guitar less since i got it. What alternatives would you suggest though? Go back to solidstate?

Yes, but not a crappy one. I've actually found that using computer programs with very good computer speakers gives me the bedroom tone i want and the closest to my tube amps at low volume. Small solid state amps im never satisfied. Get you a 50 dollar guitar port and some 60 dollar speakers with a subwoofer. Really good guitar tone with lots of amp models. Great for bedroom.
Quote by solidsnake15
Yes, but not a crappy one. I've actually found that using computer programs with very good computer speakers gives me the bedroom tone i want and the closest to my tube amps at low volume. Small solid state amps im never satisfied. Get you a 50 dollar guitar port and some 60 dollar speakers with a subwoofer. Really good guitar tone with lots of amp models. Great for bedroom.

Hey that's a pretty damn good suggestion dude, thanks! I'll look into it. So is that Line 6 guitar port? or toneport? or other brands?
Quote by Nutman69

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
What does the amp sound like when it is at a reasonable level for tubes (4 or 5), I'm sure you're parents won't mind if you play that loud for 10 minutes or so, trying to get a good tone. If you get a good tone with that, then get an attenuator, if not, sell it and get a slightly less loud amp.
^Dude, post on 2 is RIDICULOUS loud. There's no way i'm turning it up to 5!
Quote by Nutman69

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Line 6 Spider Valve 112 An all tube modelling amp. Should be a compromise between your pod and the all tube 5150. Alot of people will jump on the line 6 hating band wagon cuz it says line 6 on it but I think its pretty cool and it sounds like it was made for you.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by 123-Trav
^Dude, post on 2 is RIDICULOUS loud. There's no way i'm turning it up to 5!

haul that baby outside. Don't play too long though, you will probably get noise complaints if you live in the city.