I was wondering if I could get some help from some seasoned players. My band's about to have their first show, and I was wondering what a good computer program (besides Photoshop, don't have it) was for constructing promotional flyers.I can't seem to get my picture to be in the background in MS Word or Powerpoint, as it's always overlapping the text. Help plz?
Paint is the simplest thing to use and you will probably be able to do a farely nice flyer with it.
1.Download Utorrent from utorrent.com
2.Look up photoshop
3.Download it
4.Flyers
5.Naked old women at your first gig
6.You find out that one of the old women that you had sex with is knocked up
7.You have kids and your life is over
Last edited by The Behemoth at Aug 10, 2008,
Corel Draw?

Or... just keep your fliers simple? Seriously... as much as we like to think otherwise - that people actually notice and pay attention to the hard work you did on the flyer - the reality is that the real benefit of fliers is to build name recognition. As long as they see your name, that's what counts.

Think about it... when was the last time you saw a flier for some band you've never heard of playing at Joe's Bar and said to yourself, "Wow! This Friday night?! Awesome! I think I'll go!" It doesn't happen.

Now, if it is a band that you are familiar with, that's a different story. The trick is getting your name out there so that, six months from now, when they see your flier, they'll say, "Hey, I keep hearing their name around. They must be pretty good." THEN they'll take note of the venue and date. The trick is getting your name out there.

So... simple flier. Name highly visible. Venue and date clear. Consider the following as a guideline: It will take people about 15 seconds to come into view of the flier, keep walking, and then pass it. Fancy artwork gets lost. Now compound that with this... if you are in a car, that 15 seconds gets cut down to about 3 seconds. You want to make sure that, in that three seconds, they become familiar with your name, and if they're already familiar with your name, THEN be able to quickly spot the date and venue.

Yer done!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
just to add on to what chris said, when it comes to distributing your fliers leave them where people who might like your band hangout and get out there yourself with the rest of your band and hand them out in person and spend some time talking to people about your band and other music, people will remembed you more, and improves the chance of them comming if they realise that your on the same page as them musically
The Gimp is a good program. it's very similar to photoshop with an added bonus: it's free!
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Hmm...maybe i should be clearer....what i want to do is stretch a picture to the size of a piece of paper and put words on it, and what would be the quickest way?
Will the picture distract the viewer from seeing the information he/she needs to see in the three seconds they will look at it? If it will, the answer I was getting at was "leave the picture out."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.