Reguardless of what you prefer in genre (Though it may obviously effect answer), what do you enjoy improvving in most, practice or otherwise? I personally think blues (Especially Gary Moore) are best things for improv, since most of the rhythms are reasonably simply to predict as are key changes, plus it's loads of fun doing it to something which (to me) sounds so good.
personally, i put my music library on random and let it roll. i solo on anything from the beatles to system of a down to metallica to the faint. that way i can get a bunch of different genres in while training my ear for key changes and practicing playing in different moods.

but whatever works i guess. the easiest to improv on would be a 12 bar blues just cause its so generic.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I solo best over 80's power ballad type songs (example in my profile) But on occasion ill do what the guy above me said, and put my itunes on shuffle and randomly solo over everything. I once got to do a few whammy squeels over "Teardrops on my Guitar" haha, i think it was ultimatly more interesting my way
Quote by Phantom123
Reguardless of what you prefer in genre (Though it may obviously effect answer), what do you enjoy improvving in most, practice or otherwise? I personally think blues (Especially Gary Moore) are best things for improv, since most of the rhythms are reasonably simply to predict as are key changes, plus it's loads of fun doing it to something which (to me) sounds so good.

i rly need some solo improvisation practise, so u mean...put on some gary moore, and do some blues scales?
"Google Images is useless. I used it once to search for a photo of farm equipment and it showed me twenty thousand pictures of horse dicks."
EddyPT, I just put on on a gary moore song, and just jam to whatever I think would sound cool. However, I don't have a real beginners outlook on music and improv, because while I did just get the guitar a month ago, I've played Cello for 10 years, all the way to Lincoln center new york. I'd suggest putting on "Still got the blues" and just rocking. If you can, stand up and wave to it, shake, etc. Getting your entire body involved gets you in the mood and seems to unleash inner musical creativity :P
Quote by TK1
personally, i put my music library on random and let it roll. i solo on anything from the beatles to system of a down to metallica to the faint. that way i can get a bunch of different genres in while training my ear for key changes and practicing playing in different moods.

About the same for me ... it's very interesting to do that

There's also something I sometimes enjoy doing : I choose 4 chords, write the mdown in Guitar Pro with a rythmic pattern, and then I start playing over it...

But i particularly enjoy soloing on black metal and on pop/rock, but reggea is perfect too
I try to work on jamming over anything. What me and my guitar teacher do is set a radio to a random station, and play over what ever song is on. It's always a treat when its a Michael Jackson song lol. I've got a looping station too so when I have friends over we take turns making up weird rhythms and just playing over them.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join